If one can say. . . .

gtdstudente

Registered
If one can say GTD is about Creating FUTURE Means from one's CURRENT Means then keeping one's CURRENT Means CURRENT . . . whether that means . . . 'ideally EMPTY' . . . or . . . 'ideally FULL' . . . for one is CRUCIAL?

Last edited:

dtj

Registered
If i'm reading that right, ideally things are empty until they need to be full, as opposed to always just being full. Furthermore, if you are 100% effective, you should be empty of tasks (and other mental baggage) in your current context. Of course, the natural inclination is to do more stuff when you sense even vague emptiness.

gtdstudente

Registered
If i'm reading that right, ideally things are empty until they need to be full, as opposed to always just being full. Furthermore, if you are 100% effective, you should be empty of tasks (and other mental baggage) in your current context. Of course, the natural inclination is to do more stuff when you sense even vague emptiness.
dtj, Actually/Really/Respectfully meaning/saying "Empty Things Empty" like: Bad-People, Car-Trunk, Clear-Head, Credit Debt, Email, Garbage/Trash Can, House-Floors, Inbox, Lists, etc. for their 'Optimal-Functioning-States' and "Full Things Full" like: Being-Rested, Checking-Account, Gas-Tank, Good-People, Nutrition, Understanding, etc. for their 'Optimal-Functioning-States' . . . all are 'Means [not People]' are all Prepared/Ready to do their Current Means to Create/Serve for Future Means. Thank you

Dear gtdstudente, I have some what I call 'capability readiness checklists'. So, for driving my car, the list is:

Car is:
  • Fueled up
  • Insured
  • Taxed
  • Carrying a current MoT test certificate, if needed (UK legal requirement)
  • Clean inside and outside
  • Checked for screen wash and other under bonnet fluids levels
  • With tyres inflated to correct pressures
  • Decluttered
Driver (me!) is:
  • Sober - no alcohol
  • Refreshed not tired
  • Wearing suitable footwear
  • Wearing suitable clothing

Journey prep includes:
  • Reviewing journey plans
  • On-line traffic alerts checked
  • Driving the journey visualised

This involves keeping quite a lot of things 'Current' and ensuring that things that should be empty (like my bloodstream of alcohol!} are empty and things that should be full (e.g. your example, the car fuel tank) are full, or sufficiently so. I find these checklists a useful way to focus on what's needed.

Perhaps one could say my aim is to adopt a position of readiness.

Regarding keeping 'current means' current, I am reminded of a down to earth statement by David Allen, which is (if I quote it correctly), it's better to do things when they show up, not when they blow up!

Going back to your opening statement, I wonder if one might say that GTD is about maximising future POTENTIAL from one's current means??

Thanks for making me think about this!

gtdstudente

Registered
Dear gtdstudente, I have some what I call 'capability readiness checklists'. So, for driving my car, the list is:

Car is:
  • Fueled up
  • Insured
  • Taxed
  • Carrying a current MoT test certificate, if needed (UK legal requirement)
  • Clean inside and outside
  • Checked for screen wash and other under bonnet fluids levels
  • With tyres inflated to correct pressures
  • Decluttered
Driver (me!) is:
  • Sober - no alcohol
  • Refreshed not tired
  • Wearing suitable footwear
  • Wearing suitable clothing

Journey prep includes:
  • Reviewing journey plans
  • On-line traffic alerts checked
  • Driving the journey visualised

This involves keeping quite a lot of things 'Current' and ensuring that things that should be empty (like my bloodstream of alcohol!} are empty and things that should be full (e.g. your example, the car fuel tank) are full, or sufficiently so. I find these checklists a useful way to focus on what's needed.

Perhaps one could say my aim is to adopt a position of readiness.

Regarding keeping 'current means' current, I am reminded of a down to earth statement by David Allen, which is (if I quote it correctly), it's better to do things when they show up, not when they blow up!

Going back to your opening statement, I wonder if one might say that GTD is about maximising future POTENTIAL from one's current means??

Thanks for making me think about this!
Quicksilver10, Love it, we seem to be singing the same GTD tune. Thank you and totally agree . . . how can anyone maximize Future Potential ['maximize' is a good and important since 'Future' by definition is 'Potential', albeit, dependent upon necessary means required to Actualize] without readied Current Means? Spot-On from this Purview. Also, Love the Car (Principle -- any circumstantial non-negotiable) . . . Driver (Protocol) . . . Journey (Purpose[s]) all elements necessary for a 'Complete Operational System' that is ready to roll! Super, thank you . . . keep on GTD-ing!

Last edited: