Implementing GTD

sdann

Registered
scott.thackaberry;56885 said:
Does anyone have a flowchart or checklist for implementing GTD?

I created this weekly review checklist from the book and for my desk-sized paper organizer. For the weekly review, I prefer using a printed checklist, which I generate once a month. Because I use an electronic task organizer, I also included a line for backing that file up weekly. Additionally, at the end of the month I will also work on my horizons of focus.

On my sheet I have some additional items customized to me at the bottom of the checklist. However, I deleted those, since they really do not apply to GTD per se.

On a side note, if anyone sees something I'm missing, please do not hesitate to tell me.

Attached files image_227.doc (36.5 KB) 

Thanks for the reply, but...

I appreciate the reply. I am looking for a flowchart or checklist covering those tasks undertaken to implement the GTD system (such purging your in-box, collecting material from where-ever, etc.) Specifically, I am looking for a checklist or flowchart covering steps such as those stated on page 121 of GTD. When I originally implemented my GTD system before my prolonged illness, I recall thinking that these steps or tasks were spread throughout the GTD reading materials (in the books and on-line). I was wondering if anyone had attempted to collect this information into one central form, flowchart or checklist. Thanks.

justin caise

Registered
scott.thackaberry;56908 said:
...I am looking for a flowchart or checklist covering those tasks undertaken to implement the GTD system.

the workflow charts are indeed quite instrumental... but-
I can see that what you are asking about is a comprehesive view of the steps needed for the the initial implimentation of the system.
Unfortunately I haven't got one. I'm right smack dab in the middle of my initial - quite frankly I'm a little stuck on what must be the "capture all existing items or info [in outlook] before restructuring and learn to trust" stage.

If I can put it all together, maybe by using midmapping... I'll try to make some sort of flow chart for newbies - you know once I'm no longer a newbie myself...

It would probaly look something like:
1.) Realize you are hoplessly lost and drowning in a world of information.
2.) Spend countless hours/years trying to re-invent the wheel in regards to organization/productivity.
3.) Spend 1/2 of childrens inheritance on gadgets and tools which, although pretty, won't work until you've found the methods.
4.) Spend the other half of inheritance on programs and methodologies which try to force you into being someone else
5.) Find, and admit that you're not someone else.
No seriously...
I'll put it on my someday/maybe list right now.

Thank you.

Yes, I am looking for a flowchart or checkilist for the initial implementation or start-up of the sysyem. The system is a blessing once you have implemented it. My problem, as a trial attorney and as one subject to the occassional severe illness, is that I need to re-implement the system a new from time to time. I am tired of spending thirty to fourty hours reviewing all of the books, newsletters and web postings to ensure that I have not missed a step. Moreover, I am at loss to understand why the company does not make up such a list so that they can sell me one. I would expect to pay a reasonable fee and they should want to make a reasonable fee...at least in theory.

ScottL

Registered
Don't remember if it was this board, GTD yahoo list, etc but I've seen how to start GTD discussed in details along with people's experiences (probably one size fits all approach to starting might not work equally well for all).

Thanks for the reply, but...

What I have learned whther it be GTD, Franklin-Covey or others is that one must implement that system according to their guidelines. Then, one looks at what is left over or did not fit into the system. From that point, one can then customize the system consistent with their specific needs. What I learned is that when I use the GTD system I have nothing left over or that did not fit. That is why I like GTD. I will check yahoo GTD. Thanks.

I appreciate your view point, but...

Thanks for your help. I appreciate your view point. I live in a community where friends and family look to me for answers, as I am willing to take the time to reach for the "gold standard" in these type of pursuits. Therefore, I will continue to pursue my impossible dream of a "gold standard" checklist or flowchart.

kewms

Registered
scott.thackaberry;57248 said:
Thanks for your help. I appreciate your view point. I live in a community where friends and family look to me for answers, as I am willing to take the time to reach for the "gold standard" in these type of pursuits. Therefore, I will continue to pursue my impossible dream of a "gold standard" checklist or flowchart.

*shrug* The description of the initial setup in the GTD book seemed pretty clear to me. Beyond that, it's largely a matter of personal taste, anyway.

Sometimes the best is the enemy of the good.

Katherine

justin caise

Registered
justin caise;57190 said:
..a comprehesive view of the steps needed for the the initial implimentation of the system.
.. I'll try to make some sort of flow chart for newbies - you know once I'm no longer a newbie myself. I'll put it on my someday/maybe list right now.

I found this...
http://freshfocus.info/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/thegtdmastery100.pdf

and while it's not a "direct recipe" it has all of the elements, I believe. Although, I must add that "learn to trust my own someday maybe lists etc".
Some of it is toung in cheek, so grain of salt, etc. I hope it's not inappropriate to link here (ok with Davidco i mean.)
I didn't create this - just got lucky and found it...
Can I take it off of my projects list now?

Completed! - yeah!