In Conversation with Steve Leveen - Home Office

apinaud

Registered
I really enjoyed the Steve Leveen conversation. At first when I listen as was no impress at all, in fact I though that this was my least favorite one so far. A second listen to the Conversation instead got my attention in many aspects, this been one of them and hopefully we can open for discussion.

I have always feel guilty of working at home (even that I work at home a lot) and because of that I work @home without the right tools, since I cannot justify (out of guilt) to have a nice set-up.

After listen to the conversation I start thinking about this, and start thinking about how many people suffer from the same, I am efficient when I am at home and I do it in many cases out of that efficiency factor, but how you keep the balance if you allow yourself to work at home and take out the barrier.

In the past I had no or little distinction about when I can do what, except when I cross the door of the house, and the reason is my dad use to work all the time, 24-7-364 days a year (he took always January 1st off) I always thought that work like that was out of balance and wrong, my dad loose the opportunity to enjoy a lot of things with his kids because of that, he was always busy, and never present. I do my best to avoid that and keep the most balance that I can, and because of that I have always feel guilty of working at home.

I will love to open the discussion and get the best practices to work at home, as well as how other people is doing to keep the balance and how is their home set up (in this last one I am looking for ideas to mine ;))

As I said this conversation bring some things to the table that makes me thing a lot… One was the computer; Steve said that he has only one computer. I have done this for year, out of laziness more than efficiency, just to discover that can be out of efficiency factor, but I have never thought about it in that way. I understand that it is not easy for everyone, but I had discover that having only one computer helps in my productivity and after think about it a little more, was easy for my to identify why many things in the context categories had never work for me.

kmonroe

Registered
Work at Home Strategies

I too was a little disappointed at first in the Leveen conversation but after the second listen have found it a valuable topic.

I have a home office tucked into a little corner of my house. I find myself working in there all the time, but not enjoying it because the space is dark and not very convenient to the rest of my house. As I've listened to the Leveen conversation, I've determined that during an upcoming remodel I'm going to reset my family room and make it an office space as well as a family space.

I find that one of the things I still deal with is having to have a desktop PC at work, simply because hard drive capacities, weight, etc. don't even out for me with a laptop or a tablet. However, I use a couple of products - Foldershare (www.foldershare.com), BeInSync (www.beinsync.com) and Log Me In (www.logmein.com) to keep things easily accessible no matter where I am.

apinaud

Registered
kmonroe said:
I too was a little disappointed at first in the Leveen conversation but after the second listen have found it a valuable topic.

I am happy I am not the only one.

kmonroe said:
I have a home office tucked into a little corner of my house. I find myself working in there all the time, but not enjoying it because the space is dark and not very convenient to the rest of my house.

This is the similar issue I have. We should e setting to move sometime next and I will make a priority a good space for working at home, right now I have kind of a Satelite/unconfortable are that I will need to deal with for a year or so more.

The interesting thing for me in this topic was how much time I spend on that little desk instead to have a confortable area, and in part is becasue I feel so guilty working at home.

kmonroe said:
I still deal with is having to have a desktop PC at work, simply because hard drive capacities, weight, etc.

My boss carryes a small laptop and have a powerful desktop in the office. he has nothing in the laptop and connect using PC anywhere to his desktop, maybe that works for you.