Installing habits

manynothings

Registered
Hello,

How do you install habits within the GTD framework?

Currently, I realized installing habits is something I'm very scattered on in my GTD setup. Some of them are on my calendar, some of them are on some checklists, and some of them are in my head (yikes!).

Or is this topic not even related with GTD? If so, could you suggest how do you do this alternatively?

Thanks,

manynothings.

ivanjay205

Registered
Hello,

Currently, I realized installing habits is something I'm very scattered on in my GTD setup. Some of them are on my calendar, some of them are on some checklists, and some of them are in my head (yikes!).

Or is this topic not even related with GTD? If so, could you suggest how do you do this alternatively?

Thanks,

manynothings.
I have a bunch of them. On my calendar I block time for my morning and work day end routines. I setup recurring projects in my task manager. Similar to that for a variety of things. I only block my calendar if they are critical or time dependent.

mcogilvie

Registered
It’s easy: first you unscrew the screws securing the left frontal lobe access port, Then look for the extra mount points on the GTD framework…

Of course it doesn’t work that way. it doesn’t work the way most people think either. You might think “I’d like to do 10 pushups every morning before breakfast. I’ll write that down!” This is really the kind of top-down planning that often doesn’t work out. If you apply the natural planning model to finding an exercise regimen that works for you, you are more likely to succeed. Same with consistently making time for writing. You may have to try many different approaches before you find what works for you. Each thing you try is not a failure if it doesn’t work well, it’s just a step along the way.

TesTeq

Registered
You might think “I’d like to do 10 pushups every morning before breakfast. I’ll write that down!” This is really the kind of top-down planning that often doesn’t work out. If you apply the natural planning model to finding an exercise regimen that works for you, you are more likely to succeed.
@mcogilvie For push-ups there's a great routine developed by the habits expert BJ Fogg: "I do two push-ups after every time I pee".

Wilson Ng

Registered
I'm a big fan of creating checklists in one app. I print out those lists and assemble it into a 3-ring binder. If I need to update a checklist, I make revisions and print out just changed pages to insert back into the 3-ring binder. I refer to it frequently when I'm working. Make a habit checklist that is customized for you. If I go to the gym and hire a personal trainer, that trainer will customize a workout program that fits my desired goals.
I have a checklist for daily review, weekly review, monthly review, and quarterly review. I have the framework for an annual review but I'll need a few more years trying it out to see what needs tweaking for my needs.

I do keep the checklists in iCloud so I can always refer to it if I don't have the 3-ring binder. But there's just something about having a physical page that helps me work on building habits.

Having a checklist helps to automate or streamline my habits.

GTDengineer

Registered
You might take a step back to understand what creating habits is all about. Referring again to BJ Fogg and his book Tiny Habits, the Fogg Behavior Model shows that three elements must converge at the same moment for a behavior to occur: Motivation, Ability, and a Prompt. Within GTD, you could use your calendar to provide the prompt and ensure you have at least one component of the ability (time free of other commitments). You could use the project and actions list to further develop ability. See the book for very detailed and easy to follow advice for many different kinds of habits.

gtdstudente

Registered
Hello,

Thanks,

manynothings.
On this end . . . it could/would under an Area-of-Focus, let's say: Health [purposefully meaning Vigorous Vitality] to categorize a New Project on the Project List(s), which would be the name of the New Habit which will need a Next Action [TesTeq/GTDengineer offered a very good suggestion above]. When the New Habit is habituated then the New Habit is simply "Completed Project, i.e., a 'Closed Loop'" and as such removed from the Project List! Regarding TesTeq's/TesTeq/GTDengineer's example/suggestion(s) above; every time I go up the in-home stairs [physical reminder], I do 10-ish 'Stair[Push]-Ups'

Last edited: