• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Intention versus Method

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jason Womack
  • Start date Start date
J

Jason Womack

Guest
I had an interesting experience today while training in a triathlon in Santa Barbara. I was about 25 miles into a bike ride, and realized that my “cycling form” was completely off. I was working “too hard” and not keeping up with my training group. I realized that I had been carrying an expectation of keeping up with the other people, instead of focusing on my own training. For the next 12 miles of biking, and 4 of running, I agreed to train my own way, in my own timing.

It made me wonder, how often do I try to “get things done” for some other reason then to simply keep my own agreements about what gets finished! I am continually learning that all these methods are designed with “me” in mind. It’s less and less about the methods I use, and more about the intention I hold as I go into the next “work” session…whatever that is!
 
"motive..."

I don't know if it was so much the motive, as letting my opinions of what I "should be doing" go. I noticed through the rest of the weekend, I was much more "intentional" about what I was doing.
 
Top