iOS Reminders app : « the hide until ... » trick, sort of "Defer until" field

JMarc

Registered
Despite the fact that assigning deferred start dates on next actions is counterproductive to the GTD methodology, I find it really usefull in order to unclutter my lists.

Assuming you are not already using Priority level in Reminders, in your Smart Lists, you can simply add a “No priority” filter.
In order to hide a task until a certain date, add the #Defer tag and set the deadline field.
How does it work? The Shortcut assigns a low priority level to the tasks if the date hasn’t passed yet. Once the deadline is reached, the Shortcut removes the priority level and the date.

Create a personal automation in Shortcuts : « when Reminders is opened, Run Shortcut … »
Shortcut : https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/90cb14ec48834e8eb729f43e33cf4141

Best regards

schmeggahead

Registered
Sounds like an implementation of the tickler file.
I have a list in Reminders named Tickler. It contains items with dates so they pop up on that date and I simply remove the date and move it to the Inbox for handling (or do it right then).

Create a personal automation in Shortcuts : « when Reminders is opened, Run Shortcut … »
Shortcut : https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/90cb14ec48834e8eb729f43e33cf4141
I'm wondering if you use Reminders in iOS, iPadOS, and MacOS. Do you have this shortcut in all of those places? I would need that for consistency if I were to automatically strip the date and move them to the Inbox.

Always good to see tricking out GTD systems to remove drag.

Thanks
Clayton.

A system needs to be as simple as it can be but not too simple as to remove essential functionality. - Various.

JMarc

Registered
I have a list in Reminders named Tickler. It contains items with dates so they pop up on that date and I simply remove the date and move it to the Inbox for handling (or do it right then).

I'm wondering if you use Reminders in iOS, iPadOS, and MacOS. Do you have this shortcut in all of those places? I would need that for consistency if I were to automatically strip the date and move them to the Inbox.

Always good to see tricking out GTD systems to remove drag.

Thanks
Clayton.

A system needs to be as simple as it can be but not too simple as to remove essential functionality. - Various.
I use Reminders in iOS and iPadOS. Automation is installed on all devices.
Thanks