iPhone, iPad and windows

R

ria

Hi,
I recently started to use GTD, and I started to use the great omnifocus (after trying Doit). But I'm having a problem: I quit Doit becase I didn't want to depend on being online; after using omnifocus and because I also need to use windows on a professional basis, I now can't sync my gtd from omnifocus to my pc. Which softare(s) you would recommend for this multi.platform use with the sync possibility and that is would also be able to be easily exported for some more advanced or new software so it won't get updated on possible to use only on that software. I really need your advice and quickly as my agenda is a caos!
Please HELP!
Thanks

Bertie..

Registered
i use IMExchange2 on both my ipad and iphone and outlook on my laptop to connect to a personal exchange mailbox, which I set up for £5 a month. Have found it works and have used this set up for 18mths or so.

TedAllen

Registered
I have a similar situation. I use OF on the ipad and the iphone, but have a windows machine at work.

This link will let you send actions to OF through the web and email. It isn't a complete no brainer but it works fairly well
http://people.omnigroup.com/dave/link-o-tron.html

I find that I don't mind the extra effort required to renter actions/projects or whatever into OF. I find that this helps make sure I process rather than just collect. I find that if a process becomes too seamless one can click away and fail to actually think about what it is you are looking at, and it can get dumped into a system by it isn't processed.

rdgeorge

Registered
Think outside the box!

I have a Windoze computer at work also, but don't use it for GTD at all! My iPad sits alongside the Windoze computer, with an Apple Wireless keyboard, and with a iPad charger with a longer cord.

I enter most all GTD inbox items straight into OF on the iPad. If there are specific work e-mails that should be incorporated, I just forward them to one of the e-mail accounts active on the iPad.

All OF items are synched through iCloud to my iPad, my iPhone and my Macbook Air. It is really not that hard to use GTD via OF at work, without using your Windoze PC. This is not really that different that when I used a Time Design planner for GTD, but the back-up and multi-device capability is far better.

Just another approach for your consideration.

rdgeorge

mcogilvie

Registered
ria;94107 said:
Hi,
Which softare(s) you would recommend for this multi.platform use with the sync possibility and that is would also be able to be easily exported for some more advanced or new software so it won't get updated on possible to use only on that software. I really need your advice and quickly as my agenda is a caos!
Please HELP!
Thanks

I'd use Toodledo. Try it free as a web app, cheap iOS app, very reliable, strong import and export. It's got lots of features, though, and connecting projects and next actions is not as easy as in omnifocus. Premium upgrade of $15/yr for extra features.

TesTeq

Registered
Carrying 4 devices...

rdgeorge;94120 said:
All OF items are synched through iCloud to my iPad, my iPhone and my Macbook Air. It is really not that hard to use GTD via OF at work, without using your Windoze PC. This is not really that different that when I used a Time Design planner for GTD, but the back-up and multi-device capability is far better.

Do you really think that carrying 4 devices (iPad, iPhone, Macbook Air and Windows PC) is better than carrying just one paper planner?

mcogilvie

Registered
TesTeq;94131 said:
Do you really think that carrying 4 devices (iPad, iPhone, Macbook Air and Windows PC) is better than carrying just one paper planner?

I carry my iPhone everywhere outside the house, take my iPad to work, and move my Air around the house and take it on trips. They're all in sync, along with two desktops, and yes, they're better than a paper planner. :)

P

pacificuk

I also carry my iphone everywhere and completely depended on it...

Mark Jantzen

Registered
Me Too

TesTeq;94131 said:
Do you really think that carrying 4 devices ...

I ask myself that question ALL the time.

In my backpack to and from work: iPad, iPhone, iPod, company Blackberry & Kindle.

From experience the weight is about the same as my old Time/Design GTD system. Luckily it's not that heavy.

S

supergtdman

I don't even think about it and just carry ipad and iphone all the time.
Paper is simply not even an option at all for me :)

Carrying iPad, iPhone, Macbook Air and Windows PC at the same time would be an overkill though. No need for 2 laptops when you can install windows on a mac anyway or use remote desktop, or use remote desktop on ipad.

rdgeorge

Registered
TesTeq;94131 said:

No, but I have at least one with me and they are always synchonized. I just don't use the PC on my desk at work for GTD - I use the iPad right next to it with a wireless keyboard.

I capture stuff with paper, but would never go back to an all-paper system. Several years ago I lost a Time/Design planner which was very difficult.

TesTeq

Registered
I have one device with me too.

rdgeorge;94220 said:
No, but I have at least one with me and they are always synchonized.

I have one device with me too. One and only one - always synchronized with itself. Good, old, stylish and reliable Nokia E71 - calendar, communicator, phone, voice recorder, note taker and camera for capturing information (and beautiful moments).

vertigelt

Registered
Windows client app sync to iPhone: all I want.

These responses are great, but it doesn't seem to actually answer the question (or at least, the question I'd like an answer to). See, I'm in the market for something similar. By the way, I'm not looking for "free", I'm looking for "functional".

I'm coming back to GTD after 4 years of, well, not getting things done. I originally did it all using just note cards, as simple as it gets; it more or less worked if I paid attention to it (there's the rub!).

I have an iPhone now, but ALL my computers are Windows computers (work, home, otherwise). The iPhone syncs well with iTunes and my gmail account and my work Exchange account. So, I generally have no "cross-platform" issues. For GTD, however, there seems to be a gap. Granted, I have no idea what's available, which is why I'm here. But, what I want is simply this: a Windows client application that is designed for the GTD methodology that has a corresponding iPhone app that affords synchronization between the two.

My justification for this seemingly ludicrous request is this: If there's a lot I need to collect or a lot I need to process, tooling around on my iPhone just isn't fast enough; as intuitive as the touchscreen is, I can't type 100 wpm on it, and for the way I visually process things, screen real estate = speed. And, if it isn't fast enough, I'm generally not going to do it. But, I don't always have my computer in front of me when I think of a new "thing" to collect, or when I have a thing to actually do. But I almost always have my iPhone. So, I'd like a robust Windows app that allows me to collect and process in an environment where I'm most productive, with iPhone synchronization so it's portable when I need it to be.

Anyone have a line on something that does this?

Again, simple requirements: I want to do GTD using a desktop Windows computer, an iPhone, and nothing else.

mcogilvie

Registered
vertigelt;94632 said:
So, I'd like a robust Windows app that allows me to collect and process in an environment where I'm most productive, with iPhone synchronization so it's portable when I need it to be.

Anyone have a line on something that does this?

Again, simple requirements: I want to do GTD using a desktop Windows computer, an iPhone, and nothing else.

Toodledo. Low cost, very flexible, easy export and backup.

WAR

Registered
vertigelt,

I use the Netcentrics Add-In and Microsoft Exchange at work. I sync my tasks and outlook notes to my iPhone using iMExchange 2. It allows me to view my tasks by context on the iPhone and my notes by category . . .

Mtk8

Registered
My Windows/iPhone system is the same as WAR's. iMexchange2 has worked really well for me for tasks/notes.

--Marc

23dex

Registered
vertigelt;94632 said:

I'm in the same camp - i use Windows at work and have an iphone, and i want some amount of GTD capabilities on the iphone.

So i manage my tasks and projects in Outlook 2007 with the netcentrics plugin. I use activesync to sync email, calendar, contacts and tasks to the iphone (a 4S running 5.0.1), but don't like the iOS Reminders app. (and it doesn't seem to offer very much in the way of GTD-ability). So for tasks on the iphone, i use Remember the Milk, with its Outlook Connector and iphone app. The RTM iphone app doesn't seem too bad. The sync path is more or less from Outlook to RTM's website, and from there to iphone. This was pretty easy to set up, I've been using it for about 5 days and it's gone ok so far.

Hilldidge

Registered
Try Things

I have been using Things on my iPad for the last few months and was the best thing I ever did to get GTD going again. My lists are starting to attract me again and has put my relationship with GTD on a new footing that I know I will never loose.
It is not web based and obviously very porrtable on your iPad.

tjhoo

Registered
WAR;94677 said:
vertigelt,

I use the Netcentrics Add-In and Microsoft Exchange at work. I sync my tasks and outlook notes to my iPhone using iMExchange 2. It allows me to view my tasks by context on the iPhone and my notes by category . . .

Sounds great, but must you have Outlook on desktop up and running for syncing to occur? If so, then when you are out of the office and Outlook is not running what do you do?

forevernew

Registered
I use appigo todo on iphone, then sync it to outlook using the appigo sync app. To sync the outlook calendar do that via itunes. The disadvantages to this system is that you need to manually do the syncs. Also the appigo sync app seems to be a bit flaky for me.