Is GTD a flawed?

Oogiem

Registered
I don’t think I’ve irrevocably lost anything since I stopped using Microsoft Windows and switched to Macs for personal use some time ago.
I love this, I have to confess that my lost items were entirely due to media changes not operating system problems. And yes, I had moved to Mac and in fact no Microsoft SW at all for decades now.

TesTeq

Registered
I have about three bookshelves of (paper) guitar music, not EZ chord pop, but complete arrangements across many genres. Because no one else in my family plays guitar at all seriously, the music is there for my own pleasure and that about it. I’m not sure there’s a comprehensive answer, and the technological ground is shifting fast.
The thing is you can read this music because it's on paper. My music is in ROL files that are unreadable by modern software. I'll have to manually convert them from hex printouts or write a conversion program.

Wilson Ng

Registered
Digital is better, and getting better all the time.

I think there was an article somewhere on the web about students lose lesson retention when they're just typing away to capture class notes. Their brain is in "off mode" while transcribing from their ear to their keyboards. However, when a student scribbles on a notebook, they listen intently and find keywords to write down. They are already pre-processing what is important before writing it down. I've had this happen to me. I'm just mindlessly trying to capture everything the lecturer says verbatim. But when I use paper, I'll transcribe what I value as important at the time of the talk and can summarize it fairly accurately.

Perhaps an app like Notability or Goodnotes would be helpful for capturing notes straight to digital. I haven't tried it because I don't have much use for an Apple Pencil for my iPad Pro. But that might be worth a shot. My handwriting is too messy for any OCR to actually read my chicken scratch writing. I also haven't quite gotten used to the idea of writing on slick glass when I've been writing on paper my whole life.

If I'm brainstorming, I'll just go straight to my mind map to capture thoughts directly. But if I'm taking notes during a meeting or class, I'll take out my BuJo.

It is of course easy to lose a paper notebook too, no question about it.

I've taken to the habit of taking a snapshot of important notes that I want to archive. Then I can either put the original paper in a file folder (for official documents like tax papers) or toss it (this week's grocery list). If I lose that sheet of paper, I'm not worried. It's in my camera roll.

Paper is only workable for a very short time and results in huge frustrations and wasted effort, at least for me.

Paper has been mostly short-term storage for me. Everything will eventually get captured into digital for archival/historical purposes. It's easier to do a find query for certain keywords when I'm searching for something I completed or recorded. But paper is worth it for me in the short run. It's flexible enough for my short term needs. My idea of short term is 7 days. I have my BuJo which contains this week's pre-planned work (3 Big rocks and 5-10 single next actions).

I'm not the kind of person who likes to see a bookshelf full of old notebooks. My old boss still has Franklin-Covey planner archives dating back to the early 1990's. He's never referred to any of them because he never had the need to. I don't know how he would go about looking for a specific task or project in those binders.

There was a pain side to this as for every task I put on my daily list was something I committed to in writing. At the end of the day, as I had to transfer my incomplete tasks forward. This forced to acknowledge that I over-committed.

I stopped using a 2-page daily spread because I always had to forward incomplete tasks to the next day. I've decided to look at my work in a 1 week span. Nowadays, I use a 2-page weekly spread. My left page holds my 7-day calendar. All of my due dates, appointments, and other time blocks are held here. The top one-third of the right page holds my 3 Big Rocks and the next 3-5 next actions in them. The middle one-third of the right page has my 5-10 single next actions that I have planned for this week. The bottom one-third of the right page is empty and acts as an inbox for new tasks or notes.

When I do an end-of-day review, I'll choose either a Big Rock or a handful of single next actions and put that in tomorrow's day block. That becomes my plan. I try not to over-commit. Using the weekly spread allows me to see the next few days as well as pre-plan my work for the next day.

If I get a new task from voice mail, walk-in customers, or just life events that come up during the day, I'll put them in one of two places. If it's something that needs to be done this week, I'll go ahead and put it into a day block on the left page (finish Joey's sign project by Friday). If the new request is something that can be done next week or later, I'll go ahead and put it into my digital task manager for future review. Short term tasks (needs to be taken care of this week) will go into the short-term BuJo. Anything that doesn't need my attention this week will go straight to digital.

mcogilvie

Registered
I think there was an article somewhere on the web about students lose lesson retention when they're just typing away to capture class notes. Their brain is in "off mode" while transcribing from their ear to their keyboards. However, when a student scribbles on a notebook, they listen intently and find keywords to write down. They are already pre-processing what is important before writing it down. I've had this happen to me. I'm just mindlessly trying to capture everything the lecturer says verbatim. But when I use paper, I'll transcribe what I value as important at the time of the talk and can summarize it fairly accurately.

Perhaps an app like Notability or Goodnotes would be helpful for capturing notes straight to digital. I haven't tried it because I don't have much use for an Apple Pencil for my iPad Pro. But that might be worth a shot. My handwriting is too messy for any OCR to actually read my chicken scratch writing. I also haven't quite gotten used to the idea of writing on slick glass when I've been writing on paper my whole life.
There is a big difference for me between actionable material and technical notes in seminars. In seminars, it is would be difficult for almost anyone to produce typeset equations digitally and keep pace with a speaker. I do know one graduate student who uses an iPad and Apple Pencil to take notes in class, and it appears to work for him. The typical undergraduate I see was considered bright in high school but is untrained, undisciplined and unsure. That’s why they’re in college. :rolleyes:

Wilson Ng

Registered
The typical undergraduate I see was considered bright in high school but is untrained, undisciplined and unsure. That’s why they’re in college.

LOL... That was me in my first year of college. Although I was just a B student in high school and not the brightest light bulb in the room. ;-)

I think there is a psychological impact when someone sees me whipping out my iPad, iPhone, or laptop to take notes. They might think I'm actually checking social media instead of paying attention to them. When I do whip out a paper notebook, the other person feels more confident that I'm actually paying attention and taking notes. Perhaps that's the pre-millenial generation that was raised on paper notebooks instead of lugging around a tablet device or smartphone?

Oogiem

Registered
Perhaps an app like Notability or Goodnotes would be helpful for capturing notes straight to digital. I haven't tried it because I don't have much use for an Apple Pencil for my iPad Pro. But that might be worth a shot. My handwriting is too messy for any OCR to actually read my chicken scratch writing.
I'm trying Goodnotes now for that purpose. My handwriting is also bad but so far goodnotes is pretty good and deciphering it. I
m just barely 1 week into learning how to use it though.

I'm not the kind of person who likes to see a bookshelf full of old notebooks. My old boss still has Franklin-Covey planner archives dating back to the early 1990's. He's never referred to any of them because he never had the need to. I don't know how he would go about looking for a specific task or project in those binders.
I finally scanned all my oldpaper calendars and imported them into DEVONThink with OCR. While not perfect I can actually find some things an in any case I can usualyl get to within a few years and it's not hard todo a manual search. I actually do go back and refer to them fairly frequently. When I do I usually add a note in a completely machine readable format about what I was looking for and where I finally found it, sort of creating my own table of contents ro index on the fly as I use my archive.
In seminars, it is would be difficult for almost anyone to produce typeset equations digitally and keep pace with a speaker.
I'm thinking that is a perfect use for an iPad and pencil and a good notetaking program.
I think there is a psychological impact when someone sees me whipping out my iPad, iPhone, or laptop to take notes. They might think I'm actually checking social media instead of paying attention to them.
I don't really care what they think. I take notes for me. If I do it on paper great, if I choose a laptop or tablet great. Their perceptions are irrelevant. What matters is whether or not I follow through on what I have committed to doing and whether I can discuss the topics of the meeting or seminar or presentation intelligently. And if I am doodling but still manage to have the required performance levels then so what?

TamaraM

Registered
When I'm coaching my employees on capture tools, I do give them the heads-up that, if they're capturing on their phones, it's possible the person they're talking to will feel disrespected because they don't understand what's happening. I don't want to accidentally make someone think they're not important to me; the fact that I'm capturing means just the opposite. That's not a reason to stop capturing on digital tools, but it can be helpful to say something like, "I'm writing down what you just said." Just to avoid the perception.

And just for grins, here's what just happened to me. I'm sitting on the sofa with my phone, a paper journal, and my laptop. I thought of a thing I need to capture, and while trying to decide what tool to use, I forgot what it was. Serves me right for trying to over-complicate things. My phone is my standard capture tool. I should have just captured it, instead of thinking about whether I could save a step by capturing and processing at the same time into my laptop.

Longstreet

Professor of microbiology and infectious diseases
When I'm coaching my employees on capture tools, I do give them the heads-up that, if they're capturing on their phones, it's possible the person they're talking to will feel disrespected because they don't understand what's happening. I don't want to accidentally make someone think they're not important to me; the fact that I'm capturing means just the opposite. That's not a reason to stop capturing on digital tools, but it can be helpful to say something like, "I'm writing down what you just said." Just to avoid the perception.

And just for grins, here's what just happened to me. I'm sitting on the sofa with my phone, a paper journal, and my laptop. I thought of a thing I need to capture, and while trying to decide what tool to use, I forgot what it was. Serves me right for trying to over-complicate things. My phone is my standard capture tool. I should have just captured it, instead of thinking about whether I could save a step by capturing and processing at the same time into my laptop.
Rought-ro! Forgetting what I was thinking just a few moments ago happens to me all too frequently. ;)

moseylissa

Registered
Fascinating thread! Thanks for the discussion so far.

My particular add here is that I found and LOVE my Rocketbooks. The absolute best way to integrate paper and digital for me.

Rocketbooks are paper notebooks and use Frixion ink. The pages in the notebook are slightly slick and Frixion ink is erasable. Each page in the notebook has a series of symbols and a QR code at the bottom. The (free) app for a phone uses the combination of the marked symbol and the QR code to send your page or pages to a pre-determined digital location. So if I mark the apple symbol and scan the page with the app, that page is sent as a picture (or PDF) to a particular place in OneNote. If I change the destination for the page in the app, it will go to any one of about 15 digital locations.

Once I've scanned the page, I use a damp microfiber cloth to erase it and the page is ready to use again. Notebooks are about 35 pages and I will never need to buy a new one (unless a new color comes out that I really want). I currently have all three sizes they make, one of which stays in my purse so I can capture anywhere and send to my digital inbox.

My world was upended again when Rocketbook published a video on how to make a permanent calendar frame on a Rocketbook page using a Sharpie. I did that right away and proceeded to make my three favorite weekly BuJo spreads and my customized daily page (based in part on the work by ProjectEVO).

I find that using the weekly and daily spreads are part of a routine that settles my overactive brain and focuses me on the day or week to come. A quick scan of my next actions gives me my top priorities for when meetings aren't on my screen.

If you're interested in more about it, I recorded a YT live with the host of Take Note Chat called Rocketbook and OneNote.