It's not a to-do list, it's a buffet!

Murray

Registered
"we dwell in the satisfaction of making a trusted choice, moment-to-moment, from a complete, current inventory of next actions"

Great writing. And the "moment to moment" element seems crucial in avoiding overwhelm.

Longstreet

Professor of microbiology and infectious diseases
It was a wonderful piece. I do want to point out, however, that recent studies in neuroscience have shown that when we have to make choices from a large sample multiple times a day, even the staunchest of us will experience decision fatigue. That has been documented in multiple studies. We always use the analogy of a restaurant menu and having to choose from many options on what we want to have for the meal. But this is only one time; we make our choice and then enjoy our dinner. If one does this hundreds of times a day, decision fatigue would quickly set in. Our brains have finite resources and can quickly become depleted. This is why I enjoy creating a hot list for the day from all of my next actions.

Last edited:

Longstreet

Yes, I have seen that article. I embrace the concept overall; however, I maintain my position that neuroscience research clearly has shown that if one has to choose from a large data set hundreds of times a day, decision fatigue will be a big problem.

Murray

Registered
Here is a post from Next Actions Associates in England on this topic:

Good balanced guidance here. And I loved the sign-off: "Here’s wishing you all the right lists in your life, big and small, to free up your brain for much better things."

mcogilvie

Registered

Longstreet

I hope I did not offend Komal. As a professor and scientist, I was just relating recent data from neuroscience studies on making multiple decisions throughout the day. If anyone thrives from choosing from very long lists all day long, then bravo for you! And as we all know, GTD is MUCH more than just choosing next actions.

At any rate, these discussions are always quite useful. Cheers!

KMT

GTD Connect
Yes, I have seen that article. I embrace the concept overall; however, I maintain my position that neuroscience research clearly has shown that if one has to choose from a large data set hundreds of times a day, decision fatigue will be a big problem.
I keep a list called "when braindead" - and work off this when my decision fatigue kicks in. it is a list of mechanical things to do.

I absolutely agree with the punch list for the day, however, do find my energy level and context may change depending on the unplanned portion of the day as well and compels me to look at my buffet options more than once!

Last edited:

Longstreet

I keep a list called "when braindead" - and work off this when my decision fatigue kicks in. it is a list of mechanical things to do.

I absolutely agree with the punch list for the day, however, do find my energy level and context may change depending on the unplanned portion of the day as well and compels me to look at my buffet options more than once!
I absolutely agree. A short list is fine but one has to maneuver based on new input. Bravo, Komal! :)

Reactions: KMT