I've lost the plot - can someone help me find it please?

banjoplucker

Registered
Lost the plot - me too!!

Ruth,

I find myself in a similar position with regard to being overwhelmed and unable to get consistent control of the GTD implementation.

It really does help to allocate and stick to the review time, as it is certainly false economy to continuously respond to "firefighting" tasks and distractions. I think that sometimes it is easy to fall into the habit of dealing with the first thing at the front of your mind instead of emptying your head and using the review time to prioritise more effectively.

I have fallen victim to over thinking at times rather than cranking through my NAs. I don't always drill down far enough into more granular NAs, although this worry may be the cause of of procrastination, to some degree.

I have set myself a 30 day challenge to apply GTD consistently each day and get it up and running, once and for all!

Cheers

Ritchie:-D

abhay

Registered
RuthMcT;61042 said:
My boss is very aware of the lack of time, and is bidding for funds for extra staff, but that doesn't help with the present position.

Apart from all the suggestions that you received, you can try one more thing since your boss is understanding: keeping in front your hard landscape and projects you are working on, renegotiate priorities with him. Discuss with him what can be dropped, postponed, what has to be done, tuning the deadlines, and so on. Do this especially keeping the whole picture of commitments in front. Do it as a proper brainstorming session. If you can, you might want to involve your boss's boss as well since you mentioned he is equally overloaded. Perhaps if you alone can't say no, figure out whether you can as a team.

You might have done this already, but just in case.

Regards,
Abhay

RuthMcT

Registered
Wish me luck folks! I've managed to organise a whole day today as "protected admin time", apart from being on-call for emergencies and advice, which in this department isn't very demanding.

I've got my cup of tea, my door is closed, and I'm about to grab my overflowing collection tray and start processing..........

Ruth

RuthMcT

Registered
abhay;61749 said:
Congratulations!

Many happy returns of the day! :D

Abhay

Thank you !

It's now 3.30pm and I have got my inbox to zero :D :D :D

(that's not counting e-mail which is a separate project).

Now I need to get to the organising phase....

Ruth

correction: it's now 5pm and my e-mail inbox is at zero and I'm going home to enjoy the weekend!

Ruth