• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Keeping a reflective diary/journal on Handspring

  • Thread starter Thread starter Allan Pettie
  • Start date Start date
A

Allan Pettie

Guest
I am keen to integrate a reflective diary into my process on Handspring/Outlook.

I had thought of using a set of memos with headings such as 4/11/02-10/11/02.

Searching these would be covered in both Handspring and Outlook, but I'm not sure if this is the best way. I also have Wordsmith on my handheld which syncs with MS Word.

Anyone tried this?

Allan
 
journal on palm/outlook

you might want to check out a product called Daynotez-they have two versions -one is their own desktop application that syncs with the palm version and the other is Daynotez for Outlook--which also sync with the palm version. www.natara.com

hope that helps

Paul
 
I use the memo pad method, as you have mentioned. It sorts chronologically, can be searched using the global find, superfinderhack, memoleaf, whatever you like. Also easy to search in Outlook/Desktop. Nice and easy.

I have used Daynotez, but prefer to use the memo pad.

Pam
 
DayNotez is one of my all-time favorite handheld programs. And I've been using handhelds for about eight years :)
 
just use memo pad

I keep all my notes in memo pad on the palm (then sync'd to Outlook).

What I found works best for me is to name them as follows;
YYYY-MM-DD
(ex. 2002-11-17)

That allows you to use the alphabetical sorting to get a chronological sort. It also gives you the flexibility to go back and add notes at a later time.

I would recommend adding a new note per day -- that gives you more flexibility and when you do a find on either the handheld or Outlook, you see what individual day comes up.
 
just use palm memo

I too have been resisting buying any add-on products for the Palm. I did try DayNotez however and I think its a great product. I could workaround the time stamp issue by naming my Palm memo's with a date as you suggest, but beyond that I feel a great feature of DayNotez is to store notes greater than 4096 (4K) characters - I think they allow 32K. I often end up splitting memos into multiple entries which is a bit of a pain. Its great to be able to copy and paste one of David's Productivity Principles newsletters and store the entire thing in a single memo.

DayNotez also integrates with the Palm Find function so its easy to locate items.

MK
 
just use palm memo -- I stand corrected

Martin-

Thank you for the response. I have given DayNotez a try and you've made a convert of me. Just purchased it.

Thanks.

-Kevin
 
Top