Kevin Wilde's six questions?

Lambrettaman

Registered
I've set aside Tuesdays for driving a car so I can listen to the Connect Podcasts (the other 4 days I ride motorscooters or a bicycle) as such, it's dangerous for me to write cool stuff I hear.

Did anyone catch Kevin Wilde's six questions he uses in quarterly reviews with his staff?

Thanks.

Mike Stirrat
Intuit, Inc.

DavidRParker

Registered
Six questions for the quarterly staff update

They go something like this:

1. Where are we headed?
2. What are our priorities?
3. What have you done well?
4. What growth opportunities do you have?
5. How can I help?
6. How can I be a better boss?

I'm not sure whether 2. is "your" or "our" priorities.

kevin.wilde

Registered
6 questions for a great discussion

HI. I'm happy to hear you found the "six questions a quarter" useful. To clarify, the first two questions are about direction and priority. #1. Where are we headed? Is about department priorities for the quarter. #2. Where are YOU headed? Is about that person's specific priorities for the quarter.

I've found these two questions helpful in managing the vertical levels David describes (20k and beyond). Often times, the discuss will center around project/goal trade offs for better alignment.

I also use the 6 question method with my boss and other key stakeholders as regular alignment and communication meetings.

Hope this helps. I would enjoy hearing your experience in using the 6 questions or other similar techniques you've used to keep a team focused and positive.

Regards,

Kevin Wilde

lynnoc

Registered
Thoughts on Six Questions

I just listened to your interview and found it inspiring. I began my "serious" or should I say "more complete" GTD implementation on March 1, after attending David's seminar. I'm still at the implementation phase in terms of collection and processing --I.e. I'm still collecting and processing "older" "stuff" while somewhat managing new 'stuff" in a more GTD manner.

I wish I'd listened to your interview sooner. As a professor I meet with students from my seminar (these are doctoral students in clinical psychology and the seminar serves as a 1) case conference; 2) dissertation development; 3) how to survive mental health agencies (or political development); and 4) integration of academic work with clinical work in placements). Your six questions are perfect for my one-on-one meetings with students which I try to have at least twice during the school year. Our trimester is almost over now (June 21) and I wish I had used these questions in earlier meetings with my students. Students in this seminar are in their 3rd year (their last year of residence in the program). At this point they tend to be disorganized and confused as to whether or not they should be working on the dissertation process or focusing much more on their clinical placements and applications for very competitive internship positions.

These six questions might really help to bring them into focusing on what they want to accomplish.. I posted on backpack some encouragement to write out goals for the last six weeks of school. Framing this request in terms of "where are you headed?" and "what are your priorities?" might produce better results than asking for a simple list. The questions might help them make better use of me in the time we have left together in the seminar. I might try them out on phone meetings with each student (they are scattered all over the Bay areas and it is hard to get meetings arranged). The seminar is held tomorrow (Monday) night, and I think I will arrange these phone meetings, and pose the six questions to the group for them to think about before our meetings.

Thanks for a terrific structure for student/faculty one-on-one meetings. Academia has a great deal to learn from business, or at least from such clear-thinking people in business.

Lynn

kevin.wilde;49004 said:
HI. I'm happy to hear you found the "six questions a quarter" useful. To clarify, the first two questions are about direction and priority. #1. Where are we headed? Is about department priorities for the quarter. #2. Where are YOU headed? Is about that person's specific priorities for the quarter.

I've found these two questions helpful in managing the vertical levels David describes (20k and beyond). Often times, the discuss will center around project/goal trade offs for better alignment.

I also use the 6 question method with my boss and other key stakeholders as regular alignment and communication meetings.

Hope this helps. I would enjoy hearing your experience in using the 6 questions or other similar techniques you've used to keep a team focused and positive.

Regards,

Kevin Wilde