label maker - worth the time??

Barry

Registered
I have label makers for my work office and my home office (Brother P-Touch 1750) and am using them for lebeling my general reference files as recommended in the GTD book. It makes very nice, neat tabs that are easy to read, but it clearly takes extra time to make and attach a label compared to just writing on the tab with a pen. The benefits of neat labels are clear, but I am starting to seriously doubt whether the benefits are really worth the cost of the extra time it takes, (not to mention the financial cost, which is mostly sunk now for me anyway).

It is hard for me to quantify the difference in time and convenience, but the inconvenience of using the label maker and affixing the label is, I think, leaving me a little reluctant to really stay on top if my filing like I should. It seems to me that in the true spirit of "getting things done" in an expedient and efficient manner, we should just be writing on the tabs and being done with it so we can get on to something more valuable to do.

Of course, I think it is fine for those who like making the labels to do so, but for those who fail to grasp the fun of it, should we eliminate this step?

What do you think? Any opinions?

MikeC

Registered
My choice is to continue with the label-maker. The labels are so much easier to read and find. I consider My Brother to be an improvement to my overall organization.
Mike

pswets

Registered
Barry said:
It seems to me that in the true spirit of "getting things done" in an expedient and efficient manner, we should just be writing on the tabs and being done with it so we can get on to something more valuable to do.

Of course, I think it is fine for those who like making the labels to do so, but for those who fail to grasp the fun of it, should we eliminate this step?

I'm kind of with Barry on this. I use my labelmaker, both because I like having my files labeled and because I think I "should," but I'm not sure it is either a time-saver or an efficiency-booster. I know DA makes a pretty big point about doing this, but it has always struck me as an oddly fussy touch to a mostly low-drag, low-overhead system.

S

spectecGTD

My primary reason for using the labeler is that my handwriting is so bad, so I was always stacking folders until I had 20 or so and felt it was time efficient to print a sheet of labels on the computer printer. Problem was, I'd sometimes have 30 - 40 folders sitting there waiting for labels, plus my temporary handwritten info wasn't always the best label so I'd have to re-think what it actually should say.

I now label each file as soon as something goes into it and I don't have one or more stacks of unlabeled folders sitting around waiting to be labeled and filed. Labeling also encourages the other step (filing) while it's still manageable and forces me to generate the N/A reminder for that file since it's about to go into its proper place and I'm not tempted to lapse into using the file as my action reminder.

A

ActionGirl

I've never used a label maker, but nevertheless, the filing tips and the notion of maintaining "hard edges" has been the most dramatic benefit I got from the book.

My handwriting stinks, but I can manage the effort of writing legibly for something so short as a folder name! Other people usually don't see my files or folders, but truthfully, I'd be a little embarassed to show up in my non-corporate circless with professionally labeled folders.

DA sure does sell the concept though--I almost bought a labeler right after reading the book, and it sounds like it's helpful to many people.

B

bkpix

I bought a label maker, despite considerable initial skepticism, entirely because David recommended it.

To my surprise, it's a great tool, one I use all the time, both at the office and at home.

andersons

Registered
tradeoffs

I think that if you don't want to hesitate to file stuff you will truly need to retrieve, and if the P-touch labeling makes you hesitate to file, don't bother. Or, just write on the tabs initially, then tell yourself that someday/maybe you'll come back and affix P-touch labels all at once, since batch processing is more efficient.

I am personally a freak for aesthetics, so I love the labels. My handwriting is so bad now. Also, on occasion some of my colleagues have seen me whip out a paper from my beautifully labeled folders, and they have been quite impressed. :) Even my mother -- who has hardly filed a piece of paper in her life -- asked about the label maker when she saw the labels. It sure does take extra time with the P-touch, though. But once the label is made, it's done forever. And retrieval is great.

As for the cost, I think I spent around 75 bucks; a similar model has been selling at Costco for what -- 25 bucks? And the label tape is expensive and some is wasted on every label. Oh well.

TesTeq

Registered
Stinking handwriting...

spectecGTD said:
My primary reason for using the labeler is that my handwriting is so bad...
ActionGirl said:
My handwriting stinks...
andersons said:
My handwriting is so bad now.
Isn't it sad?

Isn't it nice to write readable letters and words?

My handwriting is readable and I like it. I like my handwritten labels.

ceehjay

Registered
TesTeq said:
A co-worker has beautiful hand-written labels -- well, they are printed rather than written and look like calligraphy. I think one's penmanship is the key. I have access to files from several co-workers, and some labels are so ugly and difficult to read that I clearly understand why DA recommends a label maker. If you are the only one who accesses your files, do what pleases you. If others use them, . . .

Carolyn

mcogilvie

Registered
TesTeq said:
Isn't it sad?

Isn't it nice to write readable letters and words?

No, it's not sad. I am happy for you that you like your own handwriting. I like my labeler, but I don't think the relationship is going anywhere. :)

Seriously, that about sums it up for me. Helpful, I think, but not essential.

TesTeq

Registered
Forgotten skills.

Seriously, I am missing the forgotten skills.

People cannot write readably by hand. What were they doing at school?

People cannot count without calculator or computer. If you want to see fear in someone's eyes, ask him how many hours are in the week (7*24).

Day Owl

Registered
TesTeq said:
Seriously, I am missing the forgotten skills.

Right on, TesTeq. My handwriting is legible, but I prefer to label my file folders with nice hand printing, which looks better. When I compare the cost of any labeler, be it never so inexpensive, with the cost of a broad-tipped pen, which wins?

Here's another forgotten skill, perhaps. (Okay, a little OT, but bear with me.) How many kids used to play "Chopsticks" on the piano even if they had never taken piano lessons? They learned from one another and had fun with that one piece of music -- or two, if you count "Heart and Soul." How many kids do that now?

A

avrum68

I purchased a labeler and found the process to be a hasstle and not worth the benefit. I'm back to using a (shock and horror) marker.

andersons

Registered
TesTeq said:

People cannot count without calculator or computer. If you want to see fear in someone's eyes, ask him how many hours are in the week (7*24).
I learned to print and write perfectly and beautifully in school.

However, all skills, including motor skills, must be used or else they will deteriorate. I type virtually everything now, so my handwriting has deteriorated. But my typing has gotten very good, even though I was never taught to type.

I was also taught arithmetic. I did thousands of multiplication and division problems -- including the hated long division. So I'm plenty competent enough without a calculator, but arithmetic is boring for me so I use a calculator whenever I can.

Bill

Registered
Barry said:
It is hard for me to quantify the difference in time and convenience, but the inconvenience of using the label maker and affixing the label is, I think, leaving me a little reluctant to really stay on top if my filing like I should....

If the labelmaker is a barrier for you to stay on top of your filing and you don't feel like there is any benefit--- I would definitely say to STOP. I think the overriding principal is to do what works for you.

In my case, the very first payoff of GTD has been filing. It felt like a huge accomplishment when my reference files were first truly organized, labeled, and everything was in its correct place.

I don't find making the labels cumbersome. In fact, I like the fact that making the label forces me to pause for a second while I make up my mind how I will find this file again.

I'm sold on the labelmaker as a tool and will not go back to handwritten labels.

Richard Love

Registered
The first label maker I bought was self contained and required me to type in the label information on its keyboard. This did not work for me at all and only got in the way of getting things done.

When I bought a Dymo label maker however that connected directly to my PC, letting me cut and paste (typically from a Mind Manager map) all this changed. It now evokes the feelings David described in both the book and the GTD fast CDs and is a favorite office component. My filing system (both project support and reference) has benefited tremendously.

P

pageta

I'm a non-label maker person. My handwriting is fine - other people think it's neat and pretty but I don't necessarily (but that's beside the point). My thing is that the last thing I need is another machine with more wires and more supplies to mess around with. If I write on the tabs myself, all I need is a folder and a pen. I never have to worry about buying more labels or typing the information into the machine correctly. The machine isn't in my way - either on my desk or stored somewhere in my office.

Granted, I know there are benefits to using a label-maker. I just prefer lack of clutter and hassle over having perfectly labeled files.

TesTeq

Registered
Let's keep our lives simple.

pageta said:
I just prefer lack of clutter and hassle over having perfectly labeled files.
Yes, this is an important reason not to use the label maker.

Let's keep our lives simple.

andersons

Registered
pageta said:
My thing is that the last thing I need is another machine with more wires and more supplies to mess around with. . . I never have to worry about buying more labels or typing the information into the machine correctly. The machine isn't in my way - either on my desk or stored somewhere in my office. . .Granted, I know there are benefits to using a label-maker. I just prefer lack of clutter and hassle over having perfectly labeled files.
wires -- not a problem with mine, uses batteries that last awhile
supplies (label tape) -- definitely an issue, I stocked up
typing the label -- easy
storage -- not a problem, but is definitely a lot bigger than a pen
peeling the label off the backing -- now THERE is the hassle, and yes I use the tool.
benefits -- probably the biggest was as an enticement to get me to file in the first place, but retrieval is also great. I try to remember that if I don't plan to retrieve the document, creating any sort of folder for it with any sort of label is a waste of time, space, and money.

(Actually, the label maker has been most handy for things other than files. The laminated tape stands up to moisture and handling and has great adhesion. Not so important for files, but great for other applications.)

I could easily give up my label maker and use a Sharpie for future labels --
but then all my labels wouldn't match and I just couldn't live with that!