label maker - worth the time??

P

pageta

andersons said:
I could easily give up my label maker and use a Sharpie for future labels -- but then all my labels wouldn't match and I just couldn't live with that!

You know, if I had someone else in my office making files, I would definitely get the label maker simply because consistency is an issue with me and my handwriting combined with their handwriting would be a major problem. I know that sounds dumb, but I know that would just drive me crazy...far more crazy than it would to have another machine with more supplies to store and have to buy.

A

aef

Well, I have a labelmaker at home, but haven't persuaded my employer to buy me one for work purposes (I haven't really tried very hard.)

My impression is that, like a lot of GTD, it's a matter of psychology. For many people presentation of information seems to make a huge difference to how they perceive and use it. I don't think I'm one of them, but I'm prepared to believe that for many people having nice labels on files really does affect their behaviour.

I'm quite happy labelling my work folders with a black whiteboard marker in large, clear print. It's certainly quicker than using a labelmaker, though it doesn't really allow for reuse of folders.

Having said that, I also like my labelmaker at home; not so much for labelling files, but for labelling equipment. I wouldn't really like scrawly handwriting on display, but it's nice to have printed labels on all my plugs, power adapters, in/out/etc trays, plastic storage boxes, and so on.

My advice would be: if you think it'll help get one, if you think it won't (or it isn't) then don't bother. If you can, borrow one to try first (but probably not from a labeller-obsessed GTDer :) ).

aef

T

TyQ

For people who are concerned with speed, have you ever tryed a Dymo label writer? I find it very fast for making labels. Although it might be a bit expensive just for labelling folders (I had mine for shipping labels and things like that).
www.dymo.com

moises

Registered
Dymo LetraTag

TyQ said:
For people who are concerned with speed, have you ever tryed a Dymo label writer? I find it very fast for making labels. Although it might be a bit expensive just for labelling folders (I had mine for shipping labels and things like that).
www.dymo.com

I use a Dymo LetraTag. There was one in my workplace already when I first started GTD. I was reluctant to use it because DA says not to use a battery-powered devices because the batteries run out.

If it is possible for a human being to love an inanimate object, then I love my dymo labelmaker.

After assiduously following this thread, I decided to replace the batteries in my home machine yesterday and in my office machine this morning.

It was probably a waste of batteries. But I put a note in my calendar to replace them again in two years.

I do wish to add that, for me, much more important than using a labelmaker for my reference files was the creation of a reference file spreadsheet. I did this in Excel but you could do it in Word or Access or anywhere else.

I have a list of all my files. I update this list whenever I add or remove a file. This takes me seconds in Excel. Whenever I add or remove a document that might be significant, I add or remove key words referring to that document to my "file folders" Excel spreadsheet.

If I can't remember if I filed the manual to the burglar alarm in "ADT" or "Manuals", I do a quick search and it pops right up. I got this idea from a boss I used to work for. But I never implemented this idea myself until I started GTD.

This procedure is just like GTD. It requires a few seconds of extra effort up front. But it pays back many times down the road.

A

aef

TyQ said:
www.dymo.com

I have the Dymo LabelManager 150, and I do like it as a machine (QWERTY keyboard is a must for me). But it's still a lot faster to grab a marker and write than to switch on the machine, start typing, turn off caps-lock (on by default - why?), type the rest, hit print, hit "cut label", peel of the backing, place and stick.

The extra time is probably worth it if it does make a difference to you, though. I am conscious that under some circumstances it might be better to use a labeller for folders in order to make an impression on others.

aef

Barry

Registered
Thanks all for your thoughtful replies and discussion. I have certainly found my label maker handy for many things and I am glad that I have it. The jury is still out on whether it is helping me with my filing. I am glad to see that I am in good company by having this question.

This is the one thing in GTD that I am not completely buying into yet. I realize that it is helpful to have professionally labeled folders when sharing a filing system and if files will be visible in a business meeting, but maybe it is optional or unnecessary otherwise. I thought DA was overselling this point a bit and I still do. But I am going to stick with the labeler a little longer before making a final decision. Maybe once my filing systems are fully implemented, the need to make new labels will taper off.

As a side note, I received some folders from a co-worker recently and I had trouble making any sense of them whatsoever. The hand-scrawled labels were virtually illegible and also incorrect (misleading). I guess anything would be better than that.

S

spectecGTD

Well, there's the final N/A for your project.

PROJECT = Evaluate David's suggestion about this "labeler thing"

SUCCESSFUL OUTCOME = Make a firm/final decision on whether or not the labeler is worth the time.

N/A - Buy labeler
N/A - Use labeler
N/A - Post to GTD forum for discussion
N/A - Evaluate discussion
N/A - Use labeler some more
N/A - If helpful, keep using
or
N/A - If not helpful, give labeler to sloppy-writing co-worker.

TesTeq

Registered
Labeler will not help.

Barry said:
The hand-scrawled labels were virtually illegible and also incorrect (misleading).
I think that labeler will not help to make correct (not misleading) labels :)

Dawn

Registered
I, too, like my own handwriting and use handwritten labels for my personal files at home. At work, I use computer labels. For those that don't want an extra gadget lying around, may I suggest mini-sheets of labels? All of the label sizes that are most frequently used in an office - address labels, file folder labels, etc. - are available in the mini size. The file folder mini-sheets (Avery 2181), for example, are designed to do 6 labels at a time; however, I have no problem doing less at a time if I need to.

Mini-sheets can be used in a regular printer and are a good option if you have a printer located conveniently nearby.

MuseOfLife

Registered
I was looking for software to make labels for my CD music collection and have tested a lot of products. Many programs were difficult to use. I have chosen this CD cover creator and now I’m totally satisfied with it.