Learning Agenda

Paul@Pittsburgh

Registered
I am a bit of an addict to self-development ideas and books, tapes etc. But over the last year or so, I have been having a nagging feeling that I am not reading and learning in a very structured way. I tend to read a book (or more accurately half read a book) until a new book that catches my interest crosses my path and then I read that etc.

One of my goals for this year was to set up a reading plan (including audio books etc) with reading for purpose.

Two things have caught my attention on Connect with regard to this.

1. David made a comment on one of the audio's about putting reading a book as a Next Action once you are committed to reading that particular book, but keeping a list of other books on a someday/maybe or a list of books to read.

2. Then of course Kevin's recent interview, which was excellent, where he raises the whole concept of having a learning agenda.

My question is really whether

a) anyone else is actually using a learning agenda now and what their experience is - how they set it up and follow through etc

b) what is a good way to assess what skills you need to learn and in what priority these should be addressed? I have so many ideas of things I want to improve or want to learn that typically it becomes a bit too unfocused for my liking. Is there a systematic way to address this? Any good resources for taking this kind of inventory etc?

Thanks

Paul

johnmcoulter

Registered
One Possibility

I haven't picked up a copy yet, but one possibility is Go Put Your Strengths to Work: 6 Powerful Steps to Achieve Outstanding Performance by Marcus Buckingham, which appears to address the idea of strengths and weaknesses, including an online test to help you better identify what those are.

John

Barb

Registered
Buckingham books

I've read his others and ordered your recommendation from Amazon for Saturday delivery. Thanks!

Barb

Registered
Well Read Life

Remember the Podcast interview with Steve Levine? The CEO of Levenger? Well, he wrote a sweet little book called, "The Little Guide to Your Well Read Life". In that podcast, he talked about getting turned on by reading late in life and suggested implementing a system to keep up with all that you've read and all that you want to read. Levenger.com actually sells notebooks for this purpose, which he calls "Bookography Journals".

I read the book when it first came out and actually bought the journal and implemented it. Finally, I had to buy a second journal so I could separate fiction from non-fiction. It took me awhile, but I also made a list of every book I own (QUITE a few in the self-development category). Anyway, I highly recommend his book AND the journal. I work in it weekly as part of my Weekly Review.:D

Steve also has a website for the book: www.wellreadlife.com. You can order the book either at Levenger or Amazon.

Paul@Pittsburgh;46868 said:
I am a bit of an addict to self-development ideas and books, tapes etc. But over the last year or so, I have been having a nagging feeling that I am not reading and learning in a very structured way. I tend to read a book (or more accurately half read a book) until a new book that catches my interest crosses my path and then I read that etc.

One of my goals for this year was to set up a reading plan (including audio books etc) with reading for purpose.

Two things have caught my attention on Connect with regard to this.

1. David made a comment on one of the audio's about putting reading a book as a Next Action once you are committed to reading that particular book, but keeping a list of other books on a someday/maybe or a list of books to read.

2. Then of course Kevin's recent interview, which was excellent, where he raises the whole concept of having a learning agenda.

My question is really whether

a) anyone else is actually using a learning agenda now and what their experience is - how they set it up and follow through etc

b) what is a good way to assess what skills you need to learn and in what priority these should be addressed? I have so many ideas of things I want to improve or want to learn that typically it becomes a bit too unfocused for my liking. Is there a systematic way to address this? Any good resources for taking this kind of inventory etc?

Thanks

Paul

Paul@Pittsburgh

Registered
Thanks John and Barb.

I purchased the Buckingham book last week also John, but not had a chance to read it yet (saw it with 30% off and decided to snap it up while it was discounted).

I have read the Leveen book Barb - actually a little before the interview with David - a really enjoyable little book with some nice tips. I had forgot about the reading journal, although I tend to make notes on each book in a separate text file on my computer, or handwrite in the book, highlight it etc. I am seeking to be a bit more proactive in how I integrate and use the knowledge from these kinds of books in a more effective way- i.e. make each book a project and have some next actions coming out of it, etc.

Another book I picked up at the airport on the way to the DC Roadmap is called SMARTS. This too has a quiz and looks interesting - it discusses the concept of Executive Intelligence and breaks this down into 12 core skills:

1. Self Restraint
The ability to think before you act. The ability to resist the urge to say or do something to allow time to evaluate the situation and how a behavior might affect it.

2. Working memory
The ability to hold information in memory while perfoming complex tasks. It involves drawing on past learning and experience to apply to the situation at hand or project into the future.

3. Emotion Control
The ability to manage emotions in order to achieve goals, complete tasks or control and direct behavior

4. Focus
The capacity to maintain attention to a situation or task in spite of distractibility, fatigue or boredom

5. Task initiation
The ability to begin projects or tasks without undue procrastination

6. Planning and Priotorization
The capacity to develop a road map to arrive at a destination or goal, and knowing which are the most important signposts along the way

7. Organization
The ability to arrange or place according to a system

8. Time management
The capacity to estimate how much time one has, to allocate it effectively and to stay within time limits and deadlines. It involves a sense that time is important.

9. Defining and achieving goals
The capacity to have a goal, follow through to the completion of a goal, and not be put off or distracted by competing interests along the way

10. Flexibility
The ability to revise plans in the face of obstacles, setbacks, new information or mistakes. It relates to adaptability to changing conditions.

11. Observation
The capacity to stand back and take a birds eye view of yourself in a situation and to be able to understand and make changes in the ways you solve problems

12. Stress Tolerance
The ability to thrive in stressful situations and to cope with uncertainty, change and performance demands.

One of the ideas in the book is that once we are adults, we can't change that much how we perform in a given skill set - we have strengths and weaknesses, but I want to see if there are exercises where you can improve weaknesses and build on strengths.

Paul

Barb

Registered
Exercises for Improvement

Paul,
One thing you've said you've read I firmly disagree with. I think you CAN change some things, through experience, feedback and learning. Also, you would have far better luck building on your STRENGTHS than trying to improve your weaknesses.

As for exercises for improvement, real improvement tends to come from learning and then being in a situation to use what you've learned. The various scenarios you would need likely will come up over time and your job is to be ready with new thoughts and a plan of action when they do come up. I know of no exercises that would really help, with the exception of asking for feedback on a regular basis.

I actually help companies develop their people for a living and I'm trying not to sound too much like the consultant that I am, but you may want to listen to a series of podcasts called Manager Tools. You can find them either on ITUNES or at www.manager-tools.com. They are short, often entertaining practical management ideas that anyone in management would benefit from. Topics covered range from one-on-one meetings to presentation skills to asking for feedback. I recommend them to all of my clients and they are absolutely free!

Also, unless you are working with a professional coach, you can develop your own plan for growth and learning. Another book to use as a resource is The Successful Manager's Handbook, published by PDI (a leading provider of leadership materials). If you picked just 5 areas that you've listed as key management skills (or use the ones listed in the book I've referenced), you could find books, articles and podcasts that will cover what you need to know. Then look for the opportunity to apply what you've learned. Remember, though, just about any professional in HR or Organizational Development will tell you to spend time building on our strengths and don't focus too much on your weaknesses.

Paul@Pittsburgh

Registered
Barb;46893 said:
Paul,
One thing you've said you've read I firmly disagree with. I think you CAN change some things, through experience, feedback and learning. Also, you would have far better luck building on your STRENGTHS than trying to improve your weaknesses.

I firmly agree with what you said above - I think what they are saying is rather limiting, but maybe they will address this a bit further into the book. I am only on Chapter 2 :)

As for the other info - thanks. I will definately check those out.

Paul

Barb

Registered
Great ideas..really

One thing I have to say: it's very refreshing to see someone take it upon themselves to get where they need to be. Most people just sit around and complain that the company needs to send them to more training classes. The truth is, no company could afford (either in time or money) to provide each individual with the kind of lifelong development you're talking about.