Less expensive Zire 22 comments?

Elena

Registered
I just happened across the Zire 22 which is listing for 99.99. The most inexpensive Palm out there (new), I'm guessing? Has anyone used it and liked it?

Would it be a better bargain to go up to the Zire 31 for 129.99 ?

The Zire 22 lists Garnet as the Palm OS? Is this just another name for regular Palm OS or is something different about it?

It's almost getting cheap enough I can get a Palm just to play with.

I have a hp iPaq, and I like it and use it. Just always been curious about the Palms because so many others are out there loving theirs. (not the least of which is David)

Elena

TesTeq

Registered
Last PalmOS PDAs?

Palm Zire 22 and Palm T/X may be the last PDAs with PalmOS operating system. The next version of Palm Treo (700w) will be equipped with Microsoft's Windows for smartphones! It's the end, I think.

ext555

Registered
TesTeq said:
Palm Zire 22 and Palm T/X may be the last PDAs with PalmOS operating system. The next version of Palm Treo (700w) will be equipped with Microsoft's Windows for smartphones! It's the end, I think.

No I think it's just Palm realizing they're not going to survive on the Palm OS alone . The Treo is a huge hit and if people want it equipped with Windows Mobile they'd be dumb not to provide it .

I think a lot depends on if Palm's Cobalt OS ever materializes on a device , if not , you'll probably see more palm brand devices loaded with Win mobile .

TesTeq

Registered
Palm does not believe in PalmOS.

ext555 said:
No I think it's just Palm realizing they're not going to survive on the Palm OS alone .
I think they lost their mission. PalmOS was very stable and applications were easy to use. Then they added all this communication and multimedia stuff which required multitasking. It made PalmOS unstable and buggy. But the obvious application problems were never addressed (for example number of categories limited to 16). They canceled Mac support. Now they say that the Windows platform will make Treo more stable! Ridiculous!

What would you say if Apple installed Windows in Macs?

E

ediamond

Um, they did. It's called Virtual PC. The Windows Palm is simply another flavor more gearded toward corporate users. It is not meant to compete with Palm , but instead it is to compete with Blackberry. Palm will not turn its back on its user base. Why would it?

TesTeq

Registered
Let's wait one year and we will see.

ediamond said:
Um, they did. It's called Virtual PC.
It's not the same - in my opinion. Virtual PC does not replace MacOS. The original MacOS was replaced by UNIX based system and I think it was a very brave move.
ediamond said:
The Windows Palm is simply another flavor more gearded toward corporate users. It is not meant to compete with Palm , but instead it is to compete with Blackberry.
Yes, I agree. But I am afraid that they will not be able to support two different operating systems in the long run.
ediamond said:
Palm will not turn its back on its user base. Why would it?
Because they are in panic. Let's wait one year and we will see if I am right.

Vilmosz

Registered
Elena, I played with Zire 22 at the loccal Staples and found the screen resolution and size to be lacking. My favorite Palm was the M500 series -- the M515 is a solid little machine and if I could find one new I'd probably get it!

Elena

Registered
Thanks to all who responded.
Vilmosz, I kind of liked the extra small size. :)
But you are right about screen resolution and it is b&w, or should that be black&grey...
But I'll keep an eye out for those M515s too! Maybe ebay!?!

Elena

J

JSR

The Zire 31 is fine

I assume the Zire 22 is like the old Palm Zire that was $99 except that it has more memory.

I bought the old Zire for my wife and it converted her to palm from a paper planner. She continues to use her new Palm (a Garmin) and no longer has a paper planner.

However, for $30, I would buy the Zire 31. It has color, an expansion card slot and plays audio files.

I recently dropped my Zire 71 one time too many and had to replace it. Rather than fork over the money for a Zire 72, I bought a Zire 31 and it meets all my needs (it doesn't take pictures or videos, but I can live with that).

Since it has Palm OS 5 with repeating tasks, I have no reason to even consider a separate calendar or task program. I don't want to complicate things at all.

As for the "Palm OS is dead" crowd, not yet. But even if it is it does not matter. When I drop this one one time too many, I'll buy another Palm if I can, if not I will look at whatever is out there. The marketplace will decide what is available, and that is OK by me...

Vilmosz

Registered
Elena, have you gotten the 22 yet? I'm curious. I've been on the fence about getting a Palm at all because the first time I had one, the technology had a sedating effect on me. Somehow, the mere fact that I owned a Palm seemed to obviate my motivation for using it productively. before I knew it, I had it loaded with all sorts of project management software which I played around with but none of which led to me getting things done. Now that I've effectively been using a small notebook for inputting and then entering and processing my info via backpack, I'm wondering if I've gained enough maturity to give it another shot.

Elena

Registered
No, I haven't gotten it. If I were to spend the money, I think I would go ahead with the Zire 31 which has the color and card slot and other features as others have suggested.

I've been playing with trying a Palm for a long time, but so far I haven't convinced myself that I will actually follow thru with using it any more than I use my Pocket PC. The Palm just seems more... readable!? Maybe I should just work on getting my HP iPaq to look better. :grin:

Thanks for staying with me on this! If I do get one, I'll be sure to write a good report about starting afresh with it.

Elena

U

UpAnchor

Palm Z22

A couple of years ago, I got an iPaq (thinking I needed the Windows OS for some reason). I used it a lot at first, but that soon changed for three reasons; extremely poor battery life, volatile memory, and to a lesser extent, a complicated interface. The first two are a regretful combination. The third is just opinion from someone who, while using Mac, Linux, and Windows at home, spends his entire workday using Windows and has a long history of Windows OS use, so I hope I'm not too OS biased. Where am I going with this? Simply that I found with the iPaq I was always preoccupied with the state of the battery and whether I'd backed up my files recently enough (plus worrying about theft, loss, or damage to my investment). Additionally, over time I discovered that I used it primarily for just reading Contacts, Tasks, and Calendar, while doing very little data entry on the fly. What I really needed was an inexpensive, simple device allowing me those features while offering the safety of non-volatile memory and long battery life. Enter the Z22 - After picking one up during the $79 day-after-Thanksgiving sale at Office Depot (it was also available at various other vendors at the same one-day price), I've now had two weeks to put it through its paces. Bingo - what can I say? For my purposes, it seems ideal. I find only two very minor drawbacks, both of which I can easily live with; A fairly low resolution (but bright and contrasty) color display and the lack of a third assignable button. So it's iCal and the Addressbook on the Mac, synced to the Z22 via "Missing Sync", and augmented by my newly-discovered Hipster PDA.

Life is good.

wordsofwonder

Registered
I've had a Z 22 (Palm dropped the "Zire" name from the new device, so it's just the "Z 22") for a couple of months now. As a long-time Palm user, I find the Z 22 to actually be the closest device Palm's made in a long time to the original intent of the device -- a simple, clean organizer without a lot of bells and whistles. The small screen keeps me from using it like a "lite" laptop, which is a good thing. And the price (I got mine on sale at Staples for $79 the day after Thanksgiving) was definitely right.

The new Palm OS (Garnet, aka v5.4) has added some features to make the datebook and (especially) to-do list much more functional. They've also upped the limit on the size of memos and note field entries from 4K to 32K, which is a big help in terms of making the device usable for me. I've thought about upgrading to a beefier device with a bigger screen and more bells and whistles, but the Z 22 is exactly what I need to keep me focused on getting things done, so I'm not apt to mess with it at the moment.

Tammy