link NAs to calendar items?

Cpu_Modern

Registered
My problem is this: Sometimes, when I have discretionary time and am willing to work on my NA-list(s), I find myself wondering what NA to start working on would be the best use of my time. I'll check the calendar and see an upcoming event which prompts me to want to work on the project(s) that are related to that event.

Now I want to turn to the NA-list and pick the corresponding NA. The problem being of course, these items are not linked. What good ways are there to link NAs and calendar items together? How can this be "hacked" together?

mcogilvie

Registered
My problem is this: Sometimes, when I have discretionary time and am willing to work on my NA-list(s), I find myself wondering what NA to start working on would be the best use of my time. I'll check the calendar and see an upcoming event which prompts me to want to work on the project(s) that are related to that event.

Now I want to turn to the NA-list and pick the corresponding NA. The problem being of course, these items are not linked. What good ways are there to link NAs and calendar items together? How can this be "hacked" together?

If I have work to do for a calendar event before it takes place, I put that information into my lists, for example, as a due date on a project or next action. How that works exactly depends on your list implementation. I think letting upcoming calendar events drive my next actions would be dangerously close to letting latest and loudest drive my discretionary time. Because the weekly review forces me to look at my schedule at least a week in advance, I always have some kind of plan for meeting preparation, even if it's "I should look at the agenda just before the meeting."

To answer your specific question, it depends on your tools. At a minimum, you can always put "[XXX project]" or "[file: YYY]" or even "[@desk]" on the calendar entry if it helps you. I don't do that, but I do sometimes attach stuff to a calendar entry for use during a meeting.