Making Change Stick

Lisa Peake

Registered
Hi Folks,

I really enjoyed our teleseminar with David last week and all the tips he offered on focus and vision. Thanks for some really top-notch Q&A! It was nice to hear so many familiar voices on this call, lots of RoadMap grads.

You can read David's latest UpClose with thoughts on the teleseminar over here.

If you missed the event, checkout the replay - Making Change Stick, from May 9, 2007.

And last but not least, here are my personal notes from the call, attached as a MindMap and PDF. I would love to hear your comments. Do you find these mindmaps helpful? Are there other things you picked up on that I missed?

Thanks again!
Lisa

Attached files image_127.mmap (35 KB)  image_128.pdf (28 KB) 

R

revmhj

Lisa Peake;48834 said:
Hi

I would love to hear your comments. Do you find these mindmaps helpful?

Lisa

Since not everyone has MindManager, exporting the Map into an outline might be cool.

johnmcoulter

Registered
ITunes Missing a Portion?

Just downloaded it from ITunes and it came up as 62 minutes long. The total time listed if I stream it from the Connect site is significantly longer than that. It appears there's a problem with the file(s) that were uploaded to ITunes...?

John

Dave John

Registered
That’s a mouth-watering mindmap Lisa; I am really looking forward to listening to the download. It should make an excellent accompaniment to a session on the treadmill at the gym – believe it or not, I have perfected the art of taking notes while jogging!

Dave

G

GlobeGuy

Belief Systems and Seeing

Thanks for the mind map Lisa. That's pretty cool and makes me want to look further into that tool.

David's "focusing on focus" was enlightening and helpful in addressing a major barrier and a solution for someone like me who is in the beginning throes of implementing GTD.

A couple of points jumped out for me:
1) Belief Systems
- hear how you talk to yourself. That's where you find your belief system.
- Would you let your friends talk to you this way?
2) You won't see how to do it until you see yourself doing it.
- David suggests this part is not about belief, just about visualization. Need to write that report? Visualize yourself doing it and let your mind begin it's planning process.

For me this is about implementing weekly review (for which I also found an awesome 90 minute audio download). I visualized myself completing the weekly review and then did it. I still have a lot to learn (the clearing part of the review took 90 minutes for heaven's sake), but it got me started.

Thanks for the teleconference!!!

S

smuench

Download for MP3?

I discovered the red Download tab on the top corner of the player and mini player, for other past topics but not for this most recent one. I travel and listen to content on my phone or laptop in the MP3 format (can't listen to it via streaming or podcast).
When will this session be available for download?
Also thanks for including the mindmap to follow along visually with the session too!

TesTeq

Registered
Use iTunes.

smuench;48952 said:
When will this session be available for download?

It is available via iTunes. You don't have to buy iPod to use iTunes to download podcasts in MP3 format.

Esquire

Registered
I really enjoyed this teleseminar and I'm really hungry for more on this topic.

BTW, as golfer, I could hear alot of "mental game" golf advice in what David was saying.

1. If your focus is "don't hit it in the water", you'll hit the ball in the water. Better to focus on "hit the ball in the fairway".

2. How would you feel if your golfing partner talked to you the way you talk to yourself? ("you never make those three foot putts!")

etc.

I'd really be interesting in DA's recommendations for further reading on this topic, at least until he comes out with his own written resources!

Thanks again and keep up the good work!

jmcg7389

Registered
MindJect MindManager Viewer

revmhj;48839 said:
Since not everyone has MindManager, exporting the Map into an outline might be cool.

You can download the free MindJet MindManager Viewer from their website. It provides the option to selectively collapse or expand topics, which comes in handy if you want to have a printed copy of the high-level points in a readable format. A lot cooler than an outline...

http://www.mindjet.com/us/products/mindmanager_viewers/index.php

Lisa, I think the MindMap is a great way to review key points within the seminar without having to listen to the audio program again. Thanks for your work!

Jim M.

TesTeq

Registered
The power of focus and the red Porsche.

1) The power of focus is one on the most important concepts I've learned from David.

2) I like the discussion about people's real needs ("Do I want to have red Porsche?" or "Do I want to feel free?").

Moulaert

Registered
Goal vs. Process

David reminded us we need to rethink the way we go to a specific goal. For example, if you like the feeling on a soft breeze in your hair you don't need to get a porsche and hit the Vermont countryside you could in theory stand outside use a blowdryer in low and save a lot of money. Or you could bike down a nice countryside hill here in Vermont.

Or as Krista Tippet tells us in her radio program Speaking of Faith:

One day, Alexander the Great visited Diogenes. Alexander was Diogenes's biggest fan and had dropped by to pay his respects. At the end of the visit, Diogenes asked Alexander what his plans were. Alexander answered that he planned to conquer and subjugate Greece. Then what? Diogenes asked. Alexander said that he planned to conquer and subjugate Asia Minor. And then? Alexander said that he planned to conquer and subjugate the world.

Diogenes, who was not easily dissuaded from a line of inquiry, posed the question again: What next? Alexander the Great told Diogenes that after all that conquering and subjugating, he planned to relax and enjoy himself. Diogenes responded: Why not save yourself a lot of trouble by relaxing and enjoying yourself now?

Alexander the Great never really got the point. Our lives are made for success — and not just for enjoying it, but for seeking it as well. As a matter of fact, the people who are most likely to enjoy success are those who most enjoy seeking it. Those people are able to find satisfaction in the journey, not just at the end of the road.

mavakil

Registered
Lisa Peake;48834 said:
Hi Folks,

I really enjoyed our teleseminar with David last week and all the tips he offered on focus and vision. Thanks for some really top-notch Q&A! It was nice to hear so many familiar voices on this call, lots of RoadMap grads.

You can read David's latest UpClose with thoughts on the teleseminar over here.

If you missed the event, checkout the replay - Making Change Stick, from May 9, 2007.

And last but not least, here are my personal notes from the call, attached as a MindMap and PDF. I would love to hear your comments. Do you find these mindmaps helpful? Are there other things you picked up on that I missed?

Thanks again!
Lisa

Gosh, I so love the GTD Teleseminars. They always keep getting better and better. "Making Changes Stick" truly hit a home-run yet once again.

Honestly at first I first quite sceptical. Making Changes Stick? Would possibly could the seminar be about? How long would one be able to speak about "Making Changes Stick"? But the moment David started, I was in such a dilemma. One part of me, wanted David to stop speaking and take large breaks, so that I could ponder, reflect, take notes. And another part of me wanted him to just go on and on and on.

I had heard the "On the Road to Blackbelt" seminar just fairly recently and David did mention in passing that there that maybe a seminar would be done on "Focussing on Focus". Subsequently in another tele-seminar I think it was the Horizons of Focus seminar that David partially spoke about the "Focus on the Red" example. That example had such an impact on me that truly it's what we Focus upon that our brains tend to highlight. Since then, I was eagerly awaiting for the seminar on Focus, little did I suspect that this would be the one.

I heard the complete seminar with Q&A over a period of 2 to 3 days. The evening that I finshed listening to the last of Q&A, I got home and before going to bed I entered some 13 odd affirmations in my Blackberry and have then reviewing them almost every morning (missed just one day) , after my morning prayers, since then. Although David had been speaking about affirmations pretty much through out the presentation, and I've been hearing about using affirmations all my life, but the penny really dropped when towards the end David mentioned that, "Hey, if affirmations worked, I rather try it and know about it now, than when I'm 90 and I read it about it in the Front Page of the newspaper".

Some of my affirmations are:

I love making Affirmations.

I truly benefit in reviewing these affirmations every morning after namaaz.

Wow, what a gleamingly clean feeling it is to have sparkly flossed teeth.

I am so much in control because I'm so disciplined in keeping appointment with others and myself.

And now...it's almost a week since I've been flossing my teeth regularly. And I'm beginning to see all the affirmations I made coming true. Truly, Affirmations are very powerful.

So if any of you have not made your affirmations yet, don't delay do it right away. Have an affirmation for your Personal life, work Life, Spiritual life, Family, Creativity. Identify a routine that you perform daily (for David it was his morning cup of coffee) during which or after which you can refer these to. And then just keep at it.

Keep GTDing and smiling :)
Arif

Ps. Lisa, I LOVE the Mindmap. Please do post 'em for every Seminar, In Conversation etc. Just by glancing at the various branches I found myself recapping in 10-15 minutes the 90 minute long seminar. A tip, I found it easier to go through the mindmap by first collapsing all the branches and then opening them one by one, reading the trigger, then trying to recall what David spoke and of that what made the most difference to me.

mavakil

Registered
Question...

Hi everybody,

To "Make Changes Stick", David mentions a lot on using affirmations. Other than affirmations what can one do to be super-highly motivated? You know, the type of motivation that David speaks about: that it's not just enough to like to do something, neither is it sufficient to really REALLY want to do it, but infact he should be so inspired that he has simply GOT to do it!

David speaks about broadly (and Lisa has also mentioned it in her mindmap) that that mind shall automatically focus (and hence be motivated) on those thoughts and ideas that we draw Images of, or make Models or on those activities that we're busy with. But David doesn't go into too much detail on how we can do that.

Do any connect members have examples on how to get ourselves to the really high-levels of motivation with things like going to the gym, writing blog posts regularly etc.? Or any ideas (real life examples) on tips David's given on getting the mind to Focus on what we want it to focus upon.

Keep smiling :)
Arif

Josette

Registered
About affirmations:
I was glad to hear David and Lisa talking about how to properly frame affirmations. It reminded me of something I heard in a parenting group once, you can't do a 'don't'.

R

revmhj

I finally got around to listening to this yesterday. I always listen to my iPod while mowing the lawn and this week was "Making Change Stick." When David was talking about the reticular formation and told the listeners to look for something bright red and then look around for everything you could see that was red, I participated. After I was satisfied that my eyes had landed on everything outside that was red (I was feeling pretty smug about it) I decided my fun was over and that I should get back to the lawn. So I look down and see that the entire time I was looking, my hands were pushing a bright red lawnmower and I'd never even noticed. :???:

I think my reticular formation is damaged.

Tara

Registered
NY Times article on priming

Hi Brian,

this is indeed very fascinating stuff. The authors says that we can't prime ourselves but I'm convinced that cues like the intention journal reminders do make a positive difference. Thanks for sharing the article with us!

peace,
Tara