Managing recurring chores in GTD

Oogiem

Registered
I'm also in the process of creating checklists and trigger lists as part of my system, so may incorporate the routines list into that.
I use a fairly large number of inactive checklists in my list manager. Not just for things that are traditional checklists but also for things that I know how to do and don't need the checklist at all to do but it would be important to have the checklist if I cannot do them.

Checklists are an important part of both emergency and estate management for me.

gtdstudente

Registered
Hope the following is helpful. . . .

For recurring chores and keeping all well, GTD becomes: "Empty Things Empty . . . and . . . Full Things Full"
Thus: Getting Things Empty (GTE) and Getting Things Full (GTF)

Practically speaking, "E M P T Y ?" seems to be more prevalent

Two Context Lists: E M P T Y ? and F U L L ?

E M P T Y ?

d [divine] - Spiritual Meditative Thoughts on Christ: "I am the Way. . . .", Thus, "He is/was either Crazy, a Liar, or God," C.S. Lewis
h [health] - Brain Dump - Write down/out the 'brain-memory gunk/junk'
h - Food(s) - Use Items Approaching Expiration(s)
u [utility] - Calendar
u - Car: All-Mirrors, Headlights, Tail-lights, Trunk, Windshield (All-Glass)
u - Classic David Allen Paraphrase: "Is anything where it shouldn't be"
u - Context List(s)
u - Dirt/Dust = Clean
Looking for inspiration?
I knew first-hand of a Dominican Republic family who took all of the furniture [besides appliances] out of the house (Every Wednesday), Cleaned the House, and placed all of the furniture back into the house). Perhaps one might objectively agree; while the family's means were in fact humble, their cleanliness was royal! David Allen Paraphrase: "Success [in life] is what you want to experience"
u - Dryer
u - Dryer - Lint Filter
u - Email
u - Floor(s)
u - Hamper
u - Inbox
u - Sink
u - Snow
u - Strainer
u - Surface(s)
u - Trash
etc.

F U L L ?
d - Chaplet: Divine Mercy
d - Holy Rosary
h - Medications
h - Refrigerator
h - Water-Bottle
u - Car - Fluid(s): 1. Brake-Fluid, 2. Coolant, 3. Engine-Oil, 4. Transmission-Fluid, 5. Wind-Shield Washer
u - Car - Gas-Tank
u - Car - Tires: 1. Air, 2. Alignment, 3. Balanced, 4. Properly-Torqued (Excess can Warp Rotors [Bump, Bump, when Braking, ugh] ), 5. Rotated
etc.

Last edited:

Oogiem

Registered
Hope the following is helpful. . . .

For recurring chores and keeping all well, GTD becomes: "Empty Things Empty . . . and . . . Full Things Full"

Practically speaking, E M P T Y ? is more prevalent

Two Context Lists: E M P T Y ? and F U L L ?

E M P T Y ?

Car Trunk
Dirt/Dust = Clean
Dryer
Email
Hamper
Inbox
Sink
Snow
Strainer
Trash
etc.

F U L L ?
Gas Tank
Medications
Refrigerator
etc.
What a creative way to define the things. Thanks!

Sebastien.pi

Registered
Also, the scuz factor. David Allen talks about this in the old live seminar recordings. We get used to a certain condition holding, and we act to maintain it. I get out of bed, my mouth feels scuzzy, I brush my teeth. I heard an interesting bit of history about this. It seems toothpaste was around for some time before it was widely used. Then a marketing genius added mint flavoring to toothpaste, and people quickly associated that minty sensation with a clean mouth. This probably explains why email is such a problem- no minty fresh feelings from processing it.
"The power of habits" by Charles Duhigg.
A must-read book !

benedikt

Registered
For these things I have a checklist in my weekly review: household. Things like the following are on it:
  • Does fridge need sorting of overdue items?
  • Is laundry piling up?
  • Bring away recycling material (glass, plastic etc.)
  • Are windows clean?

Usually I do these things automatically. The list helps keeping an eye on them to not let it slip. So you can think of it as a fallback checklist. Works quite good for me.

schmeggahead

Registered
  • Does fridge need sorting of overdue items?
  • Is laundry piling up?
  • Bring away recycling material (glass, plastic etc.)
  • Are windows clean?
My wife taught me to tie these sorts of things to regular events. Fridge sorting occurs concurrent with weekly grocery shopping.
Laundry is started Saturday AM.
Recycling is taken when Rosie (my poodle) needs to go for a ride.

However, growing up extremely near sighted, the window cleaning escapes me because I could never see it.

Clayton.

No is a complete sentence.