Mastering Omnifocus

Gardener

Registered
In case an example is worthwhile, my main perspectives for working with OmniFocus are:

- The standard Projects perspective, set to show Remaining.

My project hierarchy tucks everything that's Someday/Maybe or just a list (like, say, Books to Read or Gardening Ideas) into a Lists folder under which there are some subfolders, and almost everything there is in a List context that's set to On Hold. That makes all those things not Available and thus invisible to other contexts.

- The standard Contexts perspective, set to show Available.

- Projects Available: All Available actions, with Use project hierarchy turned on, no other grouping or sorting.

- Contexts Available: All Available actions, with Use project hierarchy turned off, grouped by context, sorted by project.

- Contexts Available No Group: Same as above, but not grouped by context--it's just everything available.

- Contexts Available Flagged: Same as above, but only flagged actions.

One goal of my weekly review is to get Contexts Available No Group down to one screenful--I demand VERY short lists. To get it down, I make things Someday/Maybe by moving them to Lists, I Defer them, and I delete them.

Edited to add: Some of those things in Lists are actionable, despite being configured as not Available. For example, the items in some shopping lists are items I actually plan to buy, rather than Maybe items, but I don't want "buy pastry brush" in my main lists unless it's on the critical path for something important. Instead, I'll check that list when shopping happens. ("I'm putting in a Target pickup order. We need anything else?") If I have a long list of stuff I actually want to do, it may have a placeholder in my main lists in the form of a repeating task, "Check Garden Prep list for a task."

Chas29

Registered
I was getting ready to try Omnifocus years ago, but then discovered it was only available for Apple/Mac products. Is that still the case? I'm a Windows user, although I do have an iPhone.

ivanjay205

Registered
Ha, I think that trigger mechanism lives in all of our brains to some extent. Even though, I use OmniFocus, I keep it as simple as possible and as complex as I need. That optimal point is different for everyone no matter what tools you use. I confess that I have a weakness for over complicating and it is is a constant struggle to not let that happen. I’ve also been a tool hopper, which is equally unproductive. I’ve been using OmniFocus for 18 months or so, I’ve been good both on the fiddle with my system front and the tool hopper front. It’s a good tool for my GTD system anyway.
I struggle with this a lot, in terms of being a tool hopper. I love technology so when something new and flashy catches my eye I want to jump on. It takes A LOT of overhead to move between systems. Right now I am living in 2 different places but moving into OmniFocus more and more everyday.

I do enjoy the constant tweaking of my system. But the reality is I find when I am in a system for a long time I get lazy with GTD as a system and I stop following it. The new system is almost like cleaning your garage. Everything goes out into the driveway and for the first week you have the most immaculate garage ever lol. I know the idea of the weekly review is to really prevent that issue specifically so something I need to work on!

ivanjay205

Registered
They have a web app but that's it for windows.
And I would argue the web app is just for checking things off when not on a Mac. My home computer is a PC and my work computer is a Mac. I find the PC version to be useful other than capturing and checking off things.