Message Board Posts

ivanjay205

Registered
Hi everyone,

I use FacileThings as a digital tool to manage my GTD workflow. I am a member of a few forums (like this one) that provide some help for me when I am stuck in a situation. In particular, I handle Quick Base development (software) for our company and if I run into a snag I often go to the message boards. Since development is not my primary role in the company sometimes the help I get, and it could be numerous responses, takes a day or two before I get to it.

Where would you recommend I put these things? Right now I just keep them in my email inbox because I do get to them fairly soon. Would you copy the link and put them in reference file? Or just leave them in my inbox since they will be cleared within a few days even though I know technically that goes against the grain in the GTD world.

RS356

Registered
I don't use FacileThings, but I'd recommend against using your inbox to hold these items. If you are periodically catching up on posts, you might add a "Catch up on GTD Forum" to your Next Actions list. If you're tracking multiple threads or responses, a @Forums context might be helpful to delineate these from other work. In my experience, using my inbox to store actionable items creates undue stress and friction.

mcogilvie

Registered
Hi everyone,

I use FacileThings as a digital tool to manage my GTD workflow. I am a member of a few forums (like this one) that provide some help for me when I am stuck in a situation. In particular, I handle Quick Base development (software) for our company and if I run into a snag I often go to the message boards. Since development is not my primary role in the company sometimes the help I get, and it could be numerous responses, takes a day or two before I get to it.

Where would you recommend I put these things? Right now I just keep them in my email inbox because I do get to them fairly soon. Would you copy the link and put them in reference file? Or just leave them in my inbox since they will be cleared within a few days even though I know technically that goes against the grain in the GTD world.

I’m a bit uncertain what the objective is. If you have asked a question on a forum, you may receive replies by email, or by visiting the forum, or both. Email gets processed into the same categories as other stuff that enters your world. Is it actionable or reference? Trash? If you visit the forum regularly and read threads there, the information in email may be redundant or at best a notification. if you want to read the emails in a batch, move them to a folder as they come in, and put “Read email from Quickbase forum” on a next action list. it’s less than two seconds for me to move email to a frequently used list, and three seconds to get a next action into my system, once I am clear about what I am doing.

ivanjay205

Registered
Thank you! So I think the general consensus as I am understanding it, is if it is help related to a project move the thread into a next action in the project (probably the first one to do) so that I carry out the action associated with the help being provided in the forum.

if it is future reference put it in reference file.

if it is standalone but requires action move it to next actions (not associated with a project)

That does make a lot of sense! Thanks! Prob could have figured that out on my own sometimes helps just to re-enforce it out there

mcogilvie

Registered
Yeah, the decision tree of gtd processing is meant to apply to everything, but i don’t always remember either. I left my wife sitting in an inbox unprocessed for days once, and she was not too happy about it. :)