Microsoft To-Do App: Next Iteration of Wunderlist

mcogilvie

Registered
That's why I am currently falling in love with TaskPaper. Just a text file with a great application for Mac (one time purchase, no subscriptions) where you can create Horizons of Focus hierarchies (in an indented outline format), tag each line with tags and dates and use a powerful search syntax to see just the lines you want to see. And - since everything is stored in text file - you can copy your data anywhere you want and you can have multiple files for different purposes (work, personal etc.). @mcogilvie @Longstreet @Gardener

it does have its advantages, and I used it for a while. It lacks some of the amenities of other apps, but the most significant is a good sync solution. I never had problems, but it was a concern. I think the Taskpaper format is probably going nowhere, in spite of Omni’s idiosycratic decision to use it for import/export in OmniFocus. But that hardly matters.

TesTeq

Registered
I think the Taskpaper format is probably going nowhere, in spite of Omni’s idiosycratic decision to use it for import/export in OmniFocus. But that hardly matters.
Maybe Omni people think that text files are the only thing in this world that is stable and portable across all the systems. For a good sync solution you just need... iCloud or Dropbox or OneDrive or Amazon Drive!

mcogilvie

Registered
Maybe Omni people think that text files are the only thing in this world that is stable and portable across all the systems. For a good sync solution you just need... iCloud or Dropbox or OneDrive or Amazon Drive!
But then you have to remember to overwrite the file when leaving the app to prevent conflicts.

Mateusz

Registered
That's why I am currently falling in love with TaskPaper. Just a text file with a great application for Mac (one time purchase, no subscriptions) where you can create Horizons of Focus hierarchies (in an indented outline format), tag each line with tags and dates and use a powerful search syntax to see just the lines you want to see. And - since everything is stored in text file - you can copy your data anywhere you want and you can have multiple files for different purposes (work, personal etc.). @mcogilvie @Longstreet @Gardener
I think Everdo app is more and more worth considering. Gtd oriented, local sqlite database, one time payment and Nirvana like workflow.

Last edited:

Mateusz

Registered
Try to print or extract one of your @context lists directly from the sqlite database... ;)
Hmm why when I can do those things from the app? Basically when someone knows the sql it can do absolutely whatever want. Nonetheless it is true that txt format is way too easier to manage for average user. In my case I have never had a need to do something with my GTD data that wasn’t possible from the app.

Oogiem

Registered
Try to print or extract one of your @context lists directly from the sqlite database...
Not to your point about that list manager but I'm gravitating towards anything that uses SQL or SQLite in part because I *can* extract everything out easily. For Example: I've looked at the LightRoom SQLite database with an eye to if I need to I can extract out all the metadata on the picture files and move it elsewhere. SQL or SQLite databases are simple to manipulate in a number of tools so relatively easy to recover data from.

bcmyers2112

Registered
I think Everdo app is more and more worth considering. Gtd oriented, local sqlite database, one time payment and Nirvana like workflow.

Everdo looks so much like Nirvana that I'm forced to wonder whether the former is infringing on the latter's IP.

Mateusz

Registered
Everdo looks so much like Nirvana that I'm forced to wonder whether the former is infringing on the latter's IP.
I have no idea if Nirvana has a proprietary when it comes to layout. Doit.im is also very similar so I don’t think so. Because I “felt in love” with Nirvana it is only an advantage for me.

rmjb

Registered
It's interesting that the Microsoft To-Do thread is full of discussion on other apps.
I guess To-Do ain't getting any love here. I can understand why.

FWIW I'm still on Nirvana, though for the benefit of my direct reports, the ability to share lists or list items would be helpful.

OF user

Registered
Ironic that when Nirvanna first entered the market, I thought it might be infringing on the original Things IP.

LopicPilof

Registered
The ability to not only establish due dates, but also schedule tasks is the most significant feature for me in a task organizer

gtdstudente

Registered
Unless you think 'Excel' and 'Word' are going anywhere, thank you all for the encouragements in this thread to simply stay with 'Excel' and 'Word'. Thank you