Mike Williams, in conversation

Tara

Registered
Hi All,

Great, great conversation again this month! I'm mulling over my verbs!

Somewhere along the line, Mike mentions a book that he's using for an initiative at GE. I'm having trouble relocating that section of the audio. Anybody know what I'm talking about? Title and author would be greatly appreciated.

peace in your world,
Tara

GTDmw

Registered
Glad you enjoyed the interview... here is the resource I mentioned

Tara,

I am glad you enjoyed the interview. I enjoyed doing it. The book I referenced is called Breakaway by Charles Fred. It is an excellent read. You can find about more about the book and his company at www.thebreakawaygroup.com.

Also, I referenced some mind maps that I use for my weekly review and meetings. Several people have requested copies. I hope to get examples of these posted on the GTD forum this weekend.

Best regards,

Mike

Here is the Amazon link to the book: http://www.amazon.com/Breakaway-Del...1229530?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1187221026&sr=8-1

Barb

Registered
I second this one

Mike,
I think your interview with David was the best yet! I particularly enjoyed hearing about the merging of the different cultures in your new company. I was with a company that was bought out 9 times in 11 years and not once was proper attention paid to these issues!

TesTeq

Registered
Interesting David Allen's remark about GTD applications.

David Allen made the following remark during his GTD Connect interview with Mike Williams:
David Allen said:
All those software applications that were created out there purporting to facilitate GTD, really, sort of added more complexity than was required.

DavidRParker

Registered
Five action verbs

One of the many interesting things that Mike mentioned was that he'd managed to focus down to just five action verbs: monitor, complete, resolve, finalise, look into.

Has anyone got a favourite set that they find works just as well?

Tara

Registered
Thanks, Mike!

Hi Mike,

thanks for your rapid response. I look forward to reading the book and perusing your mind maps!

Thanks,
Tara

djohns

Registered
Project, Deferred, Action, Monitor and Waiting For Lists

Mike mentioned a little about how he keeps track of all his different lists on his Palm Treo.

I am curious how he actually manages these lists. How do you connect sub-projects to projects and actions to projects? What sort of tools does he use to manage these lists?

-a nested outline?
-a mind map collapsible branches?
-a project management software?

I am having difficultly in the physical way of managing all these different lists and linking them to eachother. I have been using Remember The Milk and trying to tag everything, but the lists are getting so long I don't feel like a have a good view of everything that is going on. Any suggestions?

djohns

Registered
Health Care for Small Businesses

Mike is this something that could help a small business acquire health care coverage for its employees? Right now we use ADP and the rates are ridiculous. Do you have anyone you could recommend?
mikewilliams.vt;51148 said:
Tara,

I am glad you enjoyed the interview. I enjoyed doing it. The book I referenced is called Breakaway by Charles Fred. It is an excellent read. You can find about more about the book and his company at www.thebreakawaygroup.com.

Also, I referenced some mind maps that I use for my weekly review and meetings. Several people have requested copies. I hope to get examples of these posted on the GTD forum this weekend.

Best regards,

Mike

Here is the Amazon link to the book: http://www.amazon.com/Breakaway-Del...1229530?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1187221026&sr=8-1

12hourhalfday

Registered
mikewilliams.vt;51148 said:
Tara,

Best regards,

Mike

:rolleyes: Cool Added to wishlist.

Tara

Registered
Too many verbs

DavidRParker;51172 said:
One of the many interesting things that Mike mentioned was that he'd managed to focus down to just five action verbs: monitor, complete, resolve, finalise, look into.

Has anyone got a favourite set that they find works just as well?

I was playing with my new toy (aka PersonalBrain) last night and generated a list of 18 verbs. If I had to pick a top five, I think mine might be:
Discern, explore, read, write, incubate.

As I was listening to Mike's interview again in the car yesterday, I started wondering how complete and finalize differ. Thoughts? Mike--got some feedback for us?

Tara

gwelch

Registered
Radar...

I was very interested in the "Radar" grouping that he talked about. It sounds like more of a subset of Someday/Maybe as he is using it to track ideas that may or may not happen. What did you all take from that?

2percent

Registered
tree image

I've been pondering (and struggling with) the higher altitudes. The image of the tree with six branches really resonated with me. I'd be interested to learn from Mike what roles those branches signify. I'd also be interested to hear how others define their roles, especially if you have a visual image of them.

Tara

Registered
gwelch;51255 said:
I was very interested in the "Radar" grouping that he talked about. It sounds like more of a subset of Someday/Maybe as he is using it to track ideas that may or may not happen. What did you all take from that?

Hi GW, I think of having things on my radar as more tangible than someday/maybe. For me, someday/maybe is elective, optional, extra-curricular. Radar is something that I don't want to keep on my mind but want my attention lightly focused on.

From what Mike said, it sounds like he uses it to maintain some level of preparedness for projects that might come his way but aren't under his direct control.

2percent;51268 said:
I've been pondering (and struggling with) the higher altitudes. The image of the tree with six branches really resonated with me. I'd be interested to learn from Mike what roles those branches signify. I'd also be interested to hear how others define their roles, especially if you have a visual image of them.

I started experimenting with PersonalBrain to get a better handle on perspective for things like this. The trial version is free but be careful--it's addictive.

t

GTDmw

Registered
Weekly Review Mindmap

Greetings fellow GTDers,

Thank you for all the positive responses to the interview. I've received a couple of requests for the Weekly Review mindmap that I use.

Well, here it is. I tried to add some notes as well to explain things that I have learned along the way.

I've attached the mindmap in PDF format. It is rather big due to the expanding and contracting nature of mindmaps. I had to expand this to show you the detail that you might find interesting.

On a technical note, I had to get the file size down to 256K (the maximum size requirement for uploads). When you open the PDF document you will need to view at 400% resolution or above.

I would be very interested to read what others have discovered as they went through their weekly reviews.

I hope this addes to the conversation.

Best regards,

Mike

Attached files image_169.pdf (225.5 KB) 

GTDmw

Registered
Complete vs. Finalize

Tara;51250 said:
I was playing with my new toy (aka PersonalBrain) last night and generated a list of 18 verbs. If I had to pick a top five, I think mine might be:
Discern, explore, read, write, incubate.

As I was listening to Mike's interview again in the car yesterday, I started wondering how complete and finalize differ. Thoughts? Mike--got some feedback for us?

Tara

Tara,

Here is how I differentiate which verb to use based on the work that falls into my world.

Complete - This is a self evident project that needs to get done:

- Complete the oil change for the Honda
- Complete the performance review for John
- Complete my presentation for the users conference

Finalize - I use finalize in situations where a decision needs to be reached. I use this verb specifically to make sure I am on the same page with another person or another group. Once I've crossed the "finalized" threshold I many times launch a project that starts with "complete."

- Finalize decision spend money to paint house
- Finalize agenda and definition of success for XXX meeting
- Finalize who owns (and is accountable for) project XYZ

I've also found that 'finalize' projects involved negotiation and fact finding. "Finalize" may also lead you back up the Horizon's of Focus elevations (e.g. Why are we doing this project? = jump to a 30K to 40K discussion).

The thing I love about GTD is it gives you the ability to place subtle triggers in your system to help me act in a strategic and smart way based on context. The project verbs I use are one example of the subtle triggers in my system.

2percent

Registered
mikewilliams.vt;51324 said:
Greetings fellow GTDers,

the Weekly Review mindmap that I use.

Wow, this is remarkable. I am inspired by how thoughtful and detailed your approach is, and particularly with how you use your system to promote improvement with specific behavioral goals.

GTDmw

Registered
Roles and Tree Image

Hello all,

I've received several questions about the roles I've defined for my life and the tree image I mentioned in the interview. I offer them both up to you in the spirit of collaboration and sharing.

[Note: I do not claim to be an artist! :) ]

Roles:

Role 1 = Me as an individual. I am the vessel that things flow through so I use this role to remind myself to tend to my mind, body and spirit.

Role 2 = My role as a husband and father. You will see two branches on my tree symbolizing both.

Role 3 = My role as a member of a family and a member of a group of friends.

Role 4 = My role as a member of my community.

Role 5 = My professional roles. Largely, these are my non-customer facing roles. I have three main sub-roles here: (1) My leadership role - I participate in many different leadership teams outside my main area of responsibility, (2) My area of responsibility role and (3) My employee management/coaching role.

Role 6 = My role in taking care of customers. No customers = no business. Continually learning about your customers and how to take care of your customers adds value to their business, your business and your career.

Role 7 = Me as an employee. Am I learning? Am I growing?

Role 1 - 4 symbolize my personal roles. Roles 5 - 7 symbolize my professional roles.

Tree Images

The first image (the 2 page image) was created on vacation in Cancun in my pocket Moleskin journal. The process of visualizing then doodling the tree was a very cleansing experience. As I created the branches, each role was brought into focus and I reflected on it for a period of time. A little "re-creation" on my vacation. Imagine that! :)

The second image is the same basic form with the same basic value to my spirit - a tool to reflect and imagine.

I hope this adds to your GTD journey.

Mike

Attached files

Barb

Registered
What, no leaves?

Mike,
Thanks so much for putting so much of yourself "out there" for the rest of us to learn from. I was very intrigued with your tree visual (just wishing MindManager could draw a tree for me!)

My guess is you have lots and lots of LEAVES along with those apples. Maybe they should also signify something?? Will have to ponder that...we "ponder" things here in Dallas!

Tara

Registered
mikewilliams.vt;51330 said:
Tara,

Here is how I differentiate which verb to use based on the work that falls into my world.

Complete - This is a self evident project that needs to get done:

- Complete the oil change for the Honda
- Complete the performance review for John
- Complete my presentation for the users conference

Finalize - I use finalize in situations where a decision needs to be reached. I use this verb specifically to make sure I am on the same page with another person or another group. Once I've crossed the "finalized" threshold I many times launch a project that starts with "complete."

- Finalize decision spend money to paint house
- Finalize agenda and definition of success for XXX meeting
- Finalize who owns (and is accountable for) project XYZ

I've also found that 'finalize' projects involved negotiation and fact finding. "Finalize" may also lead you back up the Horizon's of Focus elevations (e.g. Why are we doing this project? = jump to a 30K to 40K discussion).

The thing I love about GTD is it gives you the ability to place subtle triggers in your system to help me act in a strategic and smart way based on context. The project verbs I use are one example of the subtle triggers in my system.

Mike, you rock! Thank you so much for taking the time to explain these so thoroughly and share your mindmap and your roles. WOW!

One of the things I'm loving about the project verbs as you've defined them is that the outcome gets embedded in the project. I see now that I've been listing projects more like areas of focus. This makes the doing so much more clear. Thanks!!!

So one more question, can you help me with understanding what is meant by resolve? I was thinking of resolve more as you've defined finalize.

Big thanks,
Tara

djohns

Registered
MMP File?

mikewilliams.vt;51324 said:
Greetings fellow GTDers,

Thank you for all the positive responses to the interview. I've received a couple of requests for the Weekly Review mindmap that I use.

Well, here it is. I tried to add some notes as well to explain things that I have learned along the way.

I've attached the mindmap in PDF format. It is rather big due to the expanding and contracting nature of mindmaps. I had to expand this to show you the detail that you might find interesting.

On a technical note, I had to get the file size down to 256K (the maximum size requirement for uploads). When you open the PDF document you will need to view at 400% resolution or above.

I would be very interested to read what others have discovered as they went through their weekly reviews.

I hope this addes to the conversation.

Best regards,

Mike

Would it be possible to attach this as a MindManager file?