Mind Like Water? Really?

A

Anonymous

I'm probably doing something wrong, but I can honestly say that I dont feel that much clearer about what to do next with my list of 120 NA's and Projects than I did without it. I'm in sales and there are so many initiatives, deadlines, implementations, etc, etc.

Come on, do any of you out there really have a mind like water?

Mark in Texas

A

Anonymous

What do YOU want?

What do YOU want?

Words like initiatives, deadlines, implementations imply to me that someone else is pulling your strings.

Where's your personal vison Mark?

As a salesman myself I see my company as a resource pool that I use to get the results I want. But, to do this I must know what I want so i can choose what I do!

Good luck.

A

Anonymous

Vision?

I want to get all these initiatives, etc. etc., out of my face for one thing.

I get your point about doing what I want to do, but I have to do what my company wants me to do too. I am a resource pool for them. Its a two-way street.

Personal vision is an issue though.

Mark in Texas

S

spectecGTD

Into my 4th month of GTD I can say that I don't yet have a mind like water, but I have some sense of it.

The current problem is, I have such a load of open loops, incomplete tasks, and undefined projects lingering from the past that I know it's still going to take quite a while to get them all under control. While I'm working on that task I have to deal with new inputs and projects which regularly pop up. My situation isn't unique - many others on this BB and elsewhere fight these same battles, especially while trying to implement GTD.

Here is the key for me. Before I began to implement GTD, new inputs were becoming a combination of opportunity and dread. I welcomed the challenge but had a real sense of dread concerning how I was going to get to some of them. Now the new inputs are just molded into my GTD system and I'm taking the time to make good upfront decisions on them - I know THESE projects won't suddenly jump up & bite me in the future. I believe I know the "mind like water" feeling about new inputs, and that encourages me to get to the same place with the old stuff that's still lingering around.

This process may take 12-18-24 months, but I have experienced enough at this point to have a real psycohological need to get there. Time will tell...

A

Anonymous

Mark

What will you have once you get all of those things out of your face? I suspect - a whole load more things!

A few questions that might help you move forward:

1. Now you know what to do, are you doing what you know? (Really, be honest.)

2. How much of the stuff on your plate is things you want to do, like to do and have to do?

3. How can you change things so that you spend 80% of your time on the want to's and like to's. (If you aren't driving this bus - who is?)

4. What are the three most important areas of your job? (Why are you doing other things outside these three areas? Is it: Lack of resources to delegate to, feel's good to be busy, don't trust others, what else ... etc etc)

5. For each next action - Is this really moving ME forward to an outcome I want, or is it just keeping me busy?

Remember Delegate, Dump, Do or Defer.

Good luck.

A

Anonymous

Guest (or whoever you are),

Good questions. I'm probably not near as ambitious as most on this site.

A

Anonymous

Mind like water

Just the other night, I woke up around 3 am thinking about something for work. It was a form that had to be submitted for David for one of his in-house seminars next Monday.

You have to understand that in the 5+ years I've worked for David, I've only woken up in the middle of the night maybe 4-5 times freaking about something for work... not fun... (how's that for self disclosing?)

But for me, that gives me a reference point about what mind like water means to me. And how precious it is when I have it. It means I sleep soundly through the night; I can really hang out with the person I'm with, and when I'm playing tennis, I'm there on the court... not partially still in the office.

So what does that all mean? It's definitely time for my weekly review...

tulipcowgirl

Registered
Re: Mind like water

Jodi Womack said:
But for me, that gives me a reference point about what mind like water means to me. And how precious it is when I have it. It means I sleep soundly through the night; I can really hang out with the person I'm with, and when I'm playing tennis, I'm there on the court... not partially still in the office.

So what does that all mean? It's definitely time for my weekly review...
I found my lightbulb. :idea: click.
Thanks.

DM said:
Good questions. I'm probably not near as ambitious as most on this site.

Hmm. Maybe give yourself a little more credit.

am·bi·tious [ am bíshəss ]
adjective
1. having strong desire for success: having a strong desire to be successful in life
3. strongly desirous: with a strong desire to have or do something

Maybe don't compare yourself to everyone else. Some people have been working with the GTD system for a very long time. Maybe it just hasn't clicked for you. It will. Just an observation.

Just to add: there are definitive things (actions) for me that contribute to my 'mind like water' state (and some days are better than others)...such as the Weekly Review, good Mind Sweeps, asking "What am I unconscious about?" and my Master Lists of Projects. These are all things/quotes the amazing coaches talk about in the coaches corner: http://www.davidco.com/coaches_corner.php
I like (love) their articles.

M

Mike Ferguson

I think David wrote somewhere, and I may be paraphrasing, “The only way to feel good about what you’re not doing is to know what you're not doing.” This spoke to me because I read it at a time when my progress with GTD was moving me from stressing about “all these things I’ve got to do” to stressing about specific things I had to do. Instead of saying, “I’ve got so much to do,” I heard myself saying, “I need to finish writing the project schedule for this year’s membership survey.” Or, “I need to ask Rob for the newest draft of that committee charter.” Or, “Gotta purge the marketing database.”

Mind like water? Not even close. But its feeling a little damp. And the stress has a different flavor to it when it is stress about very specific things, each of which has a outcome I can visualize. There is nothing worse than ambiguous stress. It’s like a never ending flu. My Aikido instructor once told me that enlightenment is life’s last great disappointment. I’m not saying mind like water would be disappointing, but I suspect I’m there more often than I acknowledge, and when I do acknowledge it, there ain’t no parade. Look, this is my desk not covered with paper. These are my “buckets” (voicemail, email inbox, desktop inbox) empty at the end of almost every day. Those were my reference files in which we easily located the information on our broadcast fax vendor. Six months ago it was a different story.

I still fail to capture all my commitments and too often my weekly review is AWOL, but every week I get a few more pond-like moments.

K

ko

Great responses, Mike and Jodi. I totally agree - mind like water for me is being able to focus on one thing. It doesn't necessarily mean that I'm not worrying about and stressing over that one thing - but it does mean that while I'm doing it, I'm not worrying about and stressing over anything else, because all those things are captured in my system and I'll get to them later.

Tspall

Registered
I think I might be starting to approach the "mind like water" stage...

Today I was giving a spelling test when something important popped into my head. Without stopping the test, I memorized the next sentence, gave it to the students and wrote down the info in my planner, then came back to the book for the next word.

Later in the afternoon, I couldn't remember what it was I thought of, but no worries because I knew I had captured it earlier. It's a good feeling... 8)

S

scott m

Mind like Water definition

Don't forget David's Mind Like Water is about appropriate response, and getting back to the ready state as quickly as possible. It is not about having a head as calm as a still pond all the time. When you don't have your commitments collected and processed outside your head, you will either over- or under-react to the stuff in your life. The point is to respond quickly, appropriately, and then return to ready. You will always have more to do than you can do, and the best you can do is to respond quickly, with the appropriate amount of effort, and then return to ready, knowing that the rest of your undone stuff (except for the action in front of you right this second) is OK for now. You can't do more than one thing at a time, so don't try.

Re: Mind like Water definition

scott m said:
Don't forget David's Mind Like Water is about appropriate response, and getting back to the ready state as quickly as possible. It is not about having a head as calm as a still pond all the time.
Scott,

I agree. The "mind like water" of GTD is not the same as "wait till the mud has settled and the water is clear"-mind-like-water of mindfulness meditation. The "mind like water" of GTD is about intuitive and appropriate response and is based on the trust on your intuition.

Rainer

S

scott m

intuition

Thanks Rainer. And the only way to trust your intuition about all your stuff is if you know about all your stuff.

One of my favorite images is that of the movie monster. How do you make it scarier? Don't let the audience see all of it. Once they do, it isn't so scary anymore. Same with our work.

A

Anonymous

Mind Like Water

Well, I hope you're better at it (Mind Like Water) than I am :!: