MS Office 365

rodxmas

Registered
My company recently upgraded to office 365. My personal setup has been outlook for email, onenote for project support and todoist as my list manager. The system works fine but was curious if anyone had experience with setting up outlook in office 365 with a corporate and personal account and then using outlook as the list manager. My biggest advantage would be saving the premium fee for todoist and removing one more tool from my system. Look forward to your thoughts. Rod

TesTeq

Registered
My company recently upgraded to office 365. My personal setup has been outlook for email, onenote for project support and todoist as my list manager. The system works fine but was curious if anyone had experience with setting up outlook in office 365 with a corporate and personal account and then using outlook as the list manager. My biggest advantage would be saving the premium fee for todoist and removing one more tool from my system. Look forward to your thoughts. Rod
I'm a paranoid and I never trust any server that is not mine. So I've never stored any personal info on any company's servers - even on servers of the company that I was one of the founders.

mcogilvie

Registered
I'm a paranoid and I never trust any server that is not mine. So I've never stored any personal info on any company's servers - even on servers of the company that I was one of the founders.

I’m not quite as paranoid as Tes, but when you use software your employer contracts for with a third party, you are in roughly the same position as when US businesses contract for employee health care. Mostly it works, but you have very little leverage. The real difference is that under US law, your healthcare information is protected. You may have essentially no rights to data you store on facilities provided by your employer, and would probably lose access immediately upon leaving employment for any reason. That’s one of the reasons people who must use corporate software for work use something else for personal matters.

ERJ1

Jedi Master
I've tried a few times to become a Microsoft guy and it just hasn't worked out for me.

Back in the day, I had one of the early Windows Phone 7s. I believe it was the LG Quantum. It was awesome and I was all set to be deeply immersed in the MS ecosystem. However, as time passed, MS gave up on those phones and released the abomination that was Windows 8 and later, Windows 10.

I just don't trust MS anymore. Their data collection practices are just as, if not more sketchy than Google. Their apps and utilities don't feel quite as user friendly to me as other stuff. And finally, I find a lot of times the one-size-fits-all products like Outlook that are baked into bigger "productivity systems" aren't as good as standalone products. Google Tasks or Microsoft To-Do just don't stand up to say, Todoist or TickTick or Nirvana.

Plus, I want something that allows me to export my stuff as easy as possible...

John Ismyname

Registered
Rod; I was a contractor for a firm who gave me an Outlook 365 account that I used on my own laptop with my own Outlook set-up. It worked really well because Outlook is able to do aggregate views of multiple calendars . i.e. work and personal. Likewise, the To-Do is an aggregate of all the Task directories i.e. work and personal.

Note this was MY hardware and MY Outlook license. My client/employer could end our relationship anytime with no notice and that's just what happened. The company was sold and the new owner did not need me (and I started a business with the old owner). My point being I was suddenly cut off from my old Outlook, email, calendars, tasks. If U used my old clients' Outlook 365 for this, I would have lost all of this data.

I do agree with the other community members concerns about privacy and ownership. You could have your own personal data in an Outlook *.PST and use that with your employers' computer and Outlook 365. However, you run the risk of your employer seeing and copying this data.You could run such a *.PST off a thumb drive that you could take with you on a moment's notice.

Last edited: