MS OneNote GTD Experience

Discussion in 'PUBLIC: Discuss Tools & Software for GTD' started by AFG, Feb 20, 2019.

Tags:
  1. AFG

AFG Registered

The usual complaint about slow Onetastic macros

But not just that: it might not be so bad if I could run a slow macro "in the background", while I am doing something else interactively.

Unfortunately, OneTastic takes overr the entire OneNote process. Can't do anything else while the macro is running.

(In other MS apps can somertimes start an extra instance of an app - I haven't figured out how to do that on OneNote, if it can be done.)

--

E,.g. right now I am trying to run the OneTastic "Search Multi Keywords macro". I want to find all pages with a particular keyword, make them into a checklist, and work through that checklist.

Unfortunately, multiple notebooks => slow.

But I want to let that slow search run while I listen to another meeting. Normally I take notes in OneNote.

---

Next time I will power on an old laptop and run the slow OneTastic search on that.

2. AFG

AFG Registered

Did I mention that OneNote has limited search abilities?

OneNote2016 can search for text typed into a search box. It can pin the search to the side of the OneNote window. But AFAIK there is no way to save the search results to a page, or to make it into a checklist, the way omne can with searches for tags.

OneTastic allows macros to be written to search. But, like so much of OneTastic, such searches are slow.