Music you listen to during weekly review?

Murray

Registered
Here's the one I'm listening to now as I begin this week's!

Hi Peter,

I'm listening to your recommendation of Dan Forrest's The Breath of Life now (here's the Apple Music link)

It's an inspiring accompaniment as I sit down with a cup of tea on my first morning of school summer holidays, ready to reassert some control in my system which has swelled and swayed in recent months with the winds of abundance, opportunities and challenges.

PeterByrom

Registered
Hi Peter,

I'm listening to your recommendation of Dan Forrest's The Breath of Life now (here's the Apple Music link)

It's an inspiring accompaniment as I sit down with a cup of tea on my first morning of school summer holidays, ready to reassert some control in my system which has swelled and swayed in recent months with the winds of abundance, opportunities and challenges.
You’re welcome! Dan’s stuff is incredible.

This one by far is my favourite of his work, though it’s a very intense listening experience:

Ger80C

Registered
Vivaldi's Four Seasons recomposed by Max Richter is my current go to!

A wonderful piece of music indeed, like so much uf Max Richter's works.

This is a wondeful thread, thank you everyone for the musical suggesions!

I, too, am now trying out/listening to "breath of life" thanks to @PeterByrom

I cannot listen to Bach or Beethoven - I would instantly only listen to the music is it is of such magnificence that I have to stop anything and listen, most likely even (when it comes to Beethoven string quartets or sinfonies) look at the/read the score...

I sometimes listen to Handel or Teleman. At this time of the year, Handel's Messiah (in particular the recordings done by Gardiner, Christie or Harnoncourt) is wonderful and uplifting for a weekly review

@John Forrister I wonder if you have tried minimal music such as the works of Philipp Glass, to listen to? It may aid concentration without creating too much "creative distraction"

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
A wonderful piece of music indeed, like so much uf Max Richter's works.

This is a wondeful thread, thank you everyone for the musical suggesions!

I, too, am now trying out/listening to "breath of life" thanks to @PeterByrom

I cannot listen to Bach or Beethoven - I would instantly only listen to the music is it is of such magnificence that I have to stop anything and listen, most likely even (when it comes to Beethoven string quartets or sinfonies) look at the/read the score...

I sometimes listen to Handel or Teleman. At this time of the year, Handel's Messiah (in particular the recordings done by Gardiner, Christie or Harnoncourt) is wonderful and uplifting for a weekly review

@John Forrister I wonder if you have tried minimal music such as the works of Philipp Glass, to listen to? It may aid concentration without creating too much "creative distraction"
When it comes to minimalistic music, here's a vote for Steve Reich!

Murray

Registered
I've recently been listening to a playlist on Apple Music called Minimalism, while working on chess exercises. It has occurred to me it would also be good for my weekly review.

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
Being a former professional musician, I tend to listen quite "analytically" to music, so often times music will be a distraction if it's supposed to be in the background. So actually, I prefer a quiet environment when doing my weekly review!

Last edited:

Matt_M

Registered
I know I am probably the odd-ball out here, however I usually listen to very energetic music for any of my work or reviews. By energetic I mean generally dance/EDM, electronics, or energetic pop. Think artists like Calvin Harris, Hallman, Vexento, or The Black Eyed Peas. I know ... I am clearly very weird. I do on occasion listen to more neutral or relaxed music, but I find that it doesn't keep my energy up and eventually makes me somewhat drowsy. Any who, a couple of my favorites of some of my selections (for those out there who may be more into high energy music):

Those are just a couple of my most commonly played ones. Though occasionally, like I said, sometimes I will listen to more "relaxed stuff" like Piano Bar, Alternative, Instrumental (e.g. Orchestral, Eric Clapton, CCR, John Mayer, Vivaldi, etc.). It's just rare that I pick a more relaxing track when I want to keep my energy high and power through my review, keep up a good mood, and move along with work that happens after a review.

Murray

Registered
Being a former professional musician, I tend to listen quite "analytically" to music, so often times music will be a distraction id it's supposed to be in the background. So actually, I prefer a quiet environment when doing my weekly review!
A sterile cockpit, as they say in aviation: the focused, no-nonsense environment that is mandated for take off and landing preparations.

Last edited:

Murray

Registered
I know I am probably the odd-ball out here, however I usually listen to very energetic music for any of my work or reviews. By energetic I mean generally dance/EDM, electronics, or energetic pop.
I often go for EDM as well, when doing a review or clarifying my inbox. But my working is better supported by tracks without much vocals, and tracks which are pretty steady rather than a lot of quick changes in intensity, rhythm, instrumentation etc. When I find a whole album I can flow with, that is ideal.

Eg:

Last edited:

Matt_M

Registered
I often go for EDM as well, when doing a review or clarifying my inbox. But my working is better supported by tracks without much vocals, and tracks which are pretty steady rather than a lot of quick changes in intensity, rhythm, instrumentation etc. When I find a whole album I can flow with, that is ideal.

Eg:

For regular work, my playlists are just one giant eclectic mix of "whatever sounds good" so it is quite varied to keep my mind from getting bored. Personally, I find listening with ANC (Active Noise Cancellation) headsets/earbuds to really help.

However, I quip every now and then that the only song I should listen to for work is:
though someone did suggest an alternate one for me:

The only song I can think of off hand that matches your style is
as it tends do keep a consistent sound that eventually swells over (or that is what my pitiful description of music finds it to be).

wsbsmith

Registered
I usually listen to some form of electronica when I need to focus. Two Apple Music playlists that I frequent are "Headspace" and "Pure Focus."

Scott

Ger80C

Registered
I, too, when I am not listening to classical music, listen to electronic music or lo-fi beats. The Apple Music playlists mentioned above are fine lists for this purpose. I also like the free compilation over at https://musicforprogramming.net which even comes with fine nerdy ASCII art :) - Highly recommended for evening work sessions and I have also done a nice weekly review with this track.

schmeggahead

Registered
When I'm stumped on how to handle something, it's Calvin Harris - Bounce & This is what you came for & if I'm stumped and need a smile - The Girls. And the end of my review: Ready for the weekend.

Now you have me making new mixes for processing. :)

Clayton
"Everyone who confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead." - Emily Rauscher