My "a ha" moment - slowing down to speed up - there's gold in the forum archives and GTD Connect resources

Graeme Thom

Registered
I just listened to the "backlog" webinar replay on GTD Connect and have been searching through old forum posts/threads re: "slowing down to speed up". I think I understand that concept a whole lot better now. It's amazing how much information and real-life GTD "experience" there is in the forum archives. Reading how other people handle their GTD workflow and the systems they use is so valuable for a GTD newbie like myself.

I've come to realise too that in my haste to get my "inbox(es) to zero" I've mentally been skipping the ultra-critical "clarify" step - jumping straight from "capture" to trying to "organise" - which I think has been one of my key challenges for many years looking back. Wow! This is my big "a ha" moment today, and it now makes so much more sense for me to actually "slow down" and sit down to take the time and properly "think through" the workflow steps - each next action (or project) at a time - and then process it and park it in its place - after that I hope I can then "reflect" and "engage" much better.

The backlog webinar was also fantastic - and made me realise I have a valuable project over the coming weeks/months to digest lots more of the GTD Connect resources.

Tombo

Registered
Nice I’ve been thinking about this concept a lot. In my haste I often cause more problems than resolution. Slow and thought full is more expedient than fast and thoughtless

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
I've come to realise too that in my haste to get my "inbox(es) to zero" I've mentally been skipping the ultra-critical "clarify" step - jumping straight from "capture" to trying to "organise" - which I think has been one of my key challenges for many years looking back.
Congratulations! That is an advanced awareness. And you've described it well. I still find that if there's something in my inbox that I resist dealing with, it's usually because I haven't really gone through the clarification slowly enough to think in a relaxed (smarter) way.

Thanks for sharing your "a ha."

gtdstudente

Registered
I just listened to the "backlog" webinar replay on GTD Connect and have been searching through old forum posts/threads re: "slowing down to speed up". I think I understand that concept a whole lot better now. It's amazing how much information and real-life GTD "experience" there is in the forum archives. Reading how other people handle their GTD workflow and the systems they use is so valuable for a GTD newbie like myself.

I've come to realise too that in my haste to get my "inbox(es) to zero" I've mentally been skipping the ultra-critical "clarify" step - jumping straight from "capture" to trying to "organise" - which I think has been one of my key challenges for many years looking back. Wow! This is my big "a ha" moment today, and it now makes so much more sense for me to actually "slow down" and sit down to take the time and properly "think through" the workflow steps - each next action (or project) at a time - and then process it and park it in its place - after that I hope I can then "reflect" and "engage" much better.

The backlog webinar was also fantastic - and made me realise I have a valuable project over the coming weeks/months to digest lots more of the GTD Connect resources.
Spot on . . . thank you

Tom_Hagen

Registered

Could you give us some examples of improved clarification?

Graeme Thom

Registered
Could you give us some examples of improved clarification?

Hi Tom. I'm actually going to have to completely redo my inbox "capture" and revisit the "clarify" step and go through each item thoroughly before I get to "organize". Looking at my system now many of my Next Actions and Projects are very vague and mixed up without clear edges - in some cases I've lumped a whole lot of (possible future) "actions" - which should actually be parked in Project support material (as they are not the actual "next" physical action) - onto the Next Actions lists so everything is very messy. For example I have vague things under Next Actions like "weekend garbage collection" but it's not an action - I need to clarify by saying "take out old shelves to street Sunday night for garbage collection". So I'm still very much in (re)setting up my overall system - but incorporating small bits and pieces of the GTD principles along the way (e.g. 2-minute rule) - if that makes sense.

Tombo

Registered
Of course it varies from user to user but what does one list and omit, would a repeated chore like taking out garbage be something you need to list? I have not gotten myself to a point of flow or clear mind so I’m not sure? Technically it does occupy mental space. As I write this I believe I have much more to work on live self discipline and implementing a trusted system I might be putting the cart before the horse.

TesTeq

Registered
I've come to realise too that in my haste to get my "inbox(es) to zero" I've mentally been skipping the ultra-critical "clarify" step - jumping straight from "capture" to trying to "organise" - which I think has been one of my key challenges for many years looking back.
At the beginning I thought that the clarify step is ridiculous and unnecessary. I thought that I can capture, organize and do. What a fool I was! :eek: @Graeme Thom @John Forrister

alevici

Registered

I cant find the webinar you refer to, can you post the link please?

Sarahsuccess

Registered
... I noticed that when I fall down into "hurry up" mode it increases my inner tension. So it's very important to me to stay in "slow mode" and whenever I fell out - consciously stop myself and slow down.

Both “hurry up” and “slow mode” are necessary for survival (in different situations though). I just started reading the book Gtd for Teens and it talks about the different parts of the brain that control these modes.

Graeme Thom

Registered
Of course it varies from user to user but what does one list and omit, would a repeated chore like taking out garbage be something you need to list?

Hi Tom. Sorry the above was probably not a good example. The collection above is the "once a month" special collection for large items so I had to remember to take lots of old shelves and big garbage outside the evening before as they collect very early first thing in the morning (so by the time you hear the truck in the morning it's too late to take anything else out). Given it's only once a month (versus regular weekly garbage collection) I needed to remember - otherwise I would be left with all the stuff for another month.