My Next Mobile Device GTD

jimboling

Registered
Approaching upgrade time on my mobile phone plan but I have a few months. I am an 11-year Palm devotee and am grudgingly cutting those apron strings due to the issues with the more recent devices (won't get into here unless prompted).

I am a big-time believer in the extent to which a good tag-based note-taking system can simplify the daily routine. My biggest goal with my next mobile device is, ideally, local storage of notes but with synchronization to a web-based point of storage (something like Evernote).

Is this a pipe dream right now? I would prefer a physical, tactile keyboard rather than an iPhone style. I have been looking at the possibility of Nokia E71, and understand they offer something called "Active Notes", but cannot seem to find support for sync'ing to the web.

I have also looked into Microsoft OneNote briefly but do not really know much about it.

Any direction look promising right now that anyone knows of?

mcogilvie

Registered
Lots of decent options for note-taking with the iPhone. All the things that Palm tried to do, the iPhone does do. Not perfect, but very good.

TesTeq

Registered
Syncing Active Notes.

jimboling;72230 said:
I have been looking at the possibility of Nokia E71, and understand they offer something called "Active Notes", but cannot seem to find support for sync'ing to the web.

I use Nokia E71 as a standalone device. Active Notes are just xml files so it is possible to make an online backup but I don't know if there is an utility that can support this process.

Oogiem

Registered
jimboling;72230 said:
I am an 11-year Palm devotee and am grudgingly cutting those apron strings due to the issues with the more recent devices (won't get into here unless prompted).

I'm also a long time Palm user, since US Robotics days, and I'm looking at an Android phone (when they come out on Sprint), Palm Pre although I have real problems with the Pre operating premise & system, and simple flip phone with an iPod Touch.

My current Treo is becoming harder and harder to sync and improve since Palm stopped developing Palm OS years ago.

The Android looks very promising to me with a second choice of iPod touch/flip phone combination although that would require adding back another device to my belt pouch.

humblepie

Registered
Oogiem;72240 said:
I'm also a long time Palm user, since US Robotics days, and I'm looking at an Android phone (when they come out on Sprint), Palm Pre although I have real problems with the Pre operating premise & system, and simple flip phone with an iPod Touch.

My current Treo is becoming harder and harder to sync and improve since Palm stopped developing Palm OS years ago.

The Android looks very promising to me with a second choice of iPod touch/flip phone combination although that would require adding back another device to my belt pouch.

i thought if u are looking for something that is not integrated the ipod touch would be great and a lower cost solution to a smartphone. app store have enough of those apps. though i still dun find them satisfying.

android is a consideration. considering i am thinking of coding for android maybe u can tell me what u need and i will code one for u haha.

hikerpa

Registered
I'm using a Palm Pre on the Sprint network and I absolutely love it. It does everything I need it to do. It syncs with Gmail and google Calendar. I know that the operating system is brand new but the development is moving quickly. I bought it on launch day and there have been 3 upgrades since then and the App store is growing quickly. I doubt that it will ever surpass the Iphone but like many of you I've been a Palm user since the Palm III and I guess I just didn't want to give up on them. If I can answer any questions I'd be glad to.

I also think that Android looks promising and would love to hear more from someone that has a device.

Ellen

ScottL

Registered
jimboling;72230 said:
I would prefer a physical, tactile keyboard rather than an iPhone style.

I would suggest trying one out before you buy.

Long time Palm OS PDA user here (just stopped using my sony TH-55 few months ago). I have large hands and really don't like those keyboards. I've been using an iPhone for several months and love it. Text entry is very easy and works amazingly well. NB: I bought it mainly as a PDA replacement and rarely use the cell phone, so I can't speak to that.

grohrbach

Registered
I use Evernote but not on my phone (current Centro user). I see they have support though for Palm Pre, Blackberry, Apple, and Windows. Maybe it is worth a revisit? The new windows client is impressive (3.5 Beta). I can't speak to it's functionality on a phone, but the sync has worked seamlessly across multiple desktops.

humblepie

Registered
grohrbach;72261 said:
I use Evernote but not on my phone (current Centro user). I see they have support though for Palm Pre, Blackberry, Apple, and Windows. Maybe it is worth a revisit? The new windows client is impressive (3.5 Beta). I can't speak to it's functionality on a phone, but the sync has worked seamlessly across multiple desktops.

Evernote on iphone or ipod touch is abit more for note taking or note referencing. i dont have a data plan so i use it offline outside.

the smashing feature is favorting your notes so that u can view them offline.

I don't think android is there yet for evernote

humblepie

Registered
the apps i see on the android for productivity is not there yet. I hope hardcore productivity companies develop low cost solutions for them.

still think app store have the best range of apps.

austinmitchell

Registered
Palm still best for GTD

For me, Palm is still best for GTD. Tried iPhone, Windows Mobile and Symbian but nothing can beat the simplicity and speed of Palm.

I currently use DateBK6, CanDo, Memos and PSLink on a Centro. The only way that I can see to move is to a platform with a Palm emulator. Classic on Pre looks great (hotsyncs too) but I might just wait for the Pixi.

I've tried Styletap on WM and the emulator for the Nokia N800 but they're a little too compromised.

Tom Munch

Registered
I'm in a similar boat. I gave up on my Treo 700p last December after being a Palm user since the Pilot Personal (remember that?) & switched to BlackBerry. I was able to do pretty well GTD-wise with the limited apps that BB has, but the OS is not very stable for me, & I'm now looking again myself. The iPhone looks the best so far. The app choice is really good as far as I can tell. Whether I can get used to the shorter battery life, software keyboard, & no multi-tasking is the question for me.

mcogilvie

Registered
Tom Munch;72703 said:
The iPhone looks the best so far. The app choice is really good as far as I can tell. Whether I can get used to the shorter battery life, software keyboard, & no multi-tasking is the question for me.

I go back to the original Pilot as well, and have used an iPhone for 2 years now. The battery life on the iPhone 3GS is actually pretty good, and the software keyboard is fine for me. Multitasking is pretty much a red herring, since apple's own apps do run in the background, as do push services.

drm

Registered
iphone for me

I am currently using the iphone and omnifocus. Powerful and syncs seemlessly with my mac. Still, speed of entry sometimes grates on me. I've started using Reqall which lets me do voice entry and then it emails me a transcribed note. Pretty slick and it is very quick to import email to omnifocus.

Its a tough choice and a very personal one.

whitesco

Registered
I just got the iPhone and like it, but the huge gaping hole for me is that it doesn't sync notes or tasks. I'm actually still toting around my Palm Tungsten for that :D.

I haven't found a solution that I like - which would sync over the air to Outlook like my previous company-provided Palm Treo did.

jimboling

Registered
Still working on my list...

... and one of the most interesting I have seen as I have been building a potential shopping list is the Nokia 5230, and the Motorola Droid also has caught my eye.

As I mentioned in the original post, I have until 4/2010, so now I am just creating a list and will review it as I approach my contract date.

I am still hoping for a good note sync-ing solution and have not ruled out the Pre yet.

The main thing is, since I do still have as much time as I do, I am not researching very deep now.

Copied21

Registered
I doubt that it will ever surpass the Iphone but like many of you I've been a Palm user since the Palm III and I guess I just didn't want to give up on them. If I can answer any questions I'd be glad to.

Regard

Copied

____
dossier surendettement

jimboling

Registered
One of the most interesting I have seen as I have been building a potential shopping list is the Nokia 5230, and the Motorola Droid also has caught my eye.

As I mentioned in the original post, I have until 4/2010, so now I am just creating a list and will review it as I approach my contract date.

I am still hoping for a good note sync-ing solution and have not ruled out the Pre yet.