My weekly review experiment

A

Anonymous

I prefer conducting my weekly reviews on Friday in the late morning/early afternoon. Indeed, I find that completing the review motivates me to actually get alot done on Friday afternoons (i.e. cleaning up <2min tasks I've let slide, moving on something b/c I don't want to see it on the list next week, etc.)

BUT, I've noticed a real disconnect between the control, motivation and relaxation I feel right after I've completed the review, and how I feel Monday morning (which seems like a light year later)!

I really don't want to conduct (or revisit) the review on Sunday night. I get little enough time at home as it is without having work intrude on it unless absolutely necessary. And Monday morning is just not a practical time to shut the world out for a few hours.

SO, last Friday at the close of my weekly review, I came up with a gameplan of what I really would like to accomplish this week, and stored it in the note of an untimed event on my Clie titled "Plan for Week". I've kept this intentionally short, restricting it to the stuff I really don't want to be dealing with in my next weekly review.

I know this approximates a Weekly ToDo list, which is anathema to GTD, but over the weekend I felt a tremendous amount of relief knowing that I would not have to think about what to do on Monday morning, and that I was going into the battle of this week with a game plan (excuse the mixed metaphors). And it was so easy to sit down at my desk first thing, open up that note, and hit the ground running.

I'll check back and let you know how it goes this week.

P.S., DA mentions in the CD of the seminar that, in the heat of work there's no time to think, you need to already have thought. I agree with this as it pertains to thinking about what's necessary to move a project forward. However, trying to decide which of 150-200 next actions to do during the heat of the work week also involves "thinking". I feel that what I've done here simply takes care of that thinking ahead of time.

T

taxgeek

That sounds like a good plan, Esquire. I do a similar thing. Unless I create some sort of 'map' for the day, I end up doing all sorts of the wrong stuff all day. ;) Let us know how it goes!