Natural planning and project lists

Ann

Registered
I'd like to read feedback on how much clarifying people do when they put projects on their lists. In other words, I might write "Organize garage" on my project list, but David Allen would suggest I define my purpose and principles on this, define my vision/outcome, then brainstorm, organize, and plan the next actions.

So is it more successful to write a goal something like this: "Organize garage so we utilize the space more effectively"?

If you are a PDA-user, do you include your vision/outcome in the notes section of the project on your Project list?

My obvious fear is it's going to take me much longer to add a project to my list.

A

Anonymous

Projects

What does it take to get it out of your head and into a system you trust?

Thats the criteria for deciding how much defining you need to do.

(I think)

~Mark

J

Jason Womack

Purpose of a project list

Ann said:
So is it more successful to write a goal something like this: "Organize garage so we utilize the space more effectively"?

Personally, I have always used the Projects list in two ways:

1) As a quick reminder (what, exactly, and why, significantly, did I commit to?); and
2) To image-in (actually see it before I see it) the outcome. (If you've been to the Vision and Focus workshop, you'll have a better idea of what this is about.

I review my projects/outcomes list once a week (at least) to ensure I've got moving parts on all my end results.

A

Anonymous

Natural planning and project lists

Here's my secret to incorporating planning into Project names: begin with a noun, and write the Project name in past tense. This is consistent with David's suggestions to look beyond the completion date, envision wild success, and note what you see. This way, you are forced to see the thing completed, or the result in place. Really give it a go. What, specifically, do you want to have happened when this is done?

During the weekly review, the Project name becomes a question. By adding a question mark at the end during the review, it is easy to check off or add a new action. "Garage workshop shelves in place" is subtly but importantly different from "Build garage shelves for workshop".

The other advantage for me is that I don't get my Projects and Next Actions confused as easily. Project? Begins with a noun, written in past tense (as the place it will be when complete). Next Action? Begins with a verb, written in present tense (as something that can be done now).

Hope this helps,
Scott Moehring
moehrings@alltel.net

A

Anonymous

Could you elaborate?

Scott... could you elaborate or give some examples of how you define your projects?

I seem to be having trouble. Past tense implies a verb... but you say to use a noun?

F

Frank Buck

I do exactly the same things Scott does. Outcomes would be something like:
Piano has been tuned.
House has been painted.
Skipper has learned to "stay".

Notice the sentences begin with nouns. The verbs are all past tense. I can look at each of those sentences and label it as either "true" or "false." If it's true, I can check off the projects as "done." If it's false, I need a next action.

Frank

Ambar

Registered
Frank Buck said:
House has been painted.
Skipper has learned to "stay".

Notice the sentences begin with nouns. The verbs are all past tense. I can look at each of those sentences and label it as either "true" or "false."

I prefer present tense to past, but the effect is much the same:

Backup process is tested, trustworthy, fully supported, and monitored daily.
Camper shell is in place and useable.
The trailer has tire covers.

BrianK

Registered
Nouns vs. Verbs

I actually start my project descriptions with verbs rather than nouns. I've found that this holds my focus on the project better. It also forces me to visualize wild success as a step separate from naming the project. So for each of my projects, I try to have crafted a statement similar to the project names that Frank and Ambar use. My project name will be something like "Replace kitchen sink." For each of those I try to have a wild-success outcome like "I love using my perfectly installed stainless-steel kitchen sink so much that dishes never pile up."

Here's a list of project verbs, which I compiled from various lists on this site and I think from the book (it's long):

Acquire
Activate
Adjust
Administer
Apply
Approve
Arrange
Assemble
Assist
Attain
Brainstorm
Budget
Build
Buy
Catalogue
Clarify
Classify
Compile
Complete
Conduct
Consolidate
Control
Coordinate
Create
Define
Deliver
Demonstrate
Design
Develop
Diagnose
Direct
Eliminate
Empower
Enlist
Ensure
Establish
Finalize
Find
Finish
Forecast
Gain
Generate
Guard
Handle
Head
Hire
Identify
Implement
Improve
Increase
Index
Inform
Install
Interpret
Interview
Introduce
Invent
Launch
Lead
Learn
Look Into
Maintain
Manage
Maximize
Merge
Minimize
Modulate
Motivate
Negotiate
Observe
Obtain
Operate
Optimize
Organize
Outline
Oversee
Own
Participate
Perform
Persuade
Plan
Prepare
Present
Produce
Program
Propose
Publish
Publish
Recommend
Release
Render
Renegotiate
Renovate
Reorganize
Repair
Research
Resolve
Review
Revise
Roll Out
Secure
Select
Sell
Send
Set Up
Setup
Simplify
Solve
Sort
Stimulate
Stop
Store
Streamline
Strengthen
Structure
Submit
Summarize
Systematize
Teach
Test
Train
Understand
Update
Use
Write

Kudos to the original providers of these, whoever they are!