New Forum Software, Same Great Content

jrdouce

Registered
Subscribe to threads?

I liked the option in phpBB to subscribe to threads. It was a great feature to receive notification emails when a thread in which I was interested was updated. It was a big time saver to not have to find and review several threads every day. I haven't discovered that feature on the new software. Am I missing it, or is that gone?

Thanks.

bdavidson

Registered
jrdouce said:
I liked the option in phpBB to subscribe to threads. It was a great feature to receive notification emails when a thread in which I was interested was updated. It was a big time saver to not have to find and review several threads every day. I haven't discovered that feature on the new software. Am I missing it, or is that gone?

Thanks.

At the top of the thread there is a dropdown called Thread Tools. The bottom entry is "Subscribe to this thread".

Enjoy!

C

chinarut

rdcottle said:
Just curious. It was phpBB I believe. What did you switch to and why?

ok..there sure is enough RSS talk it could be a separate thread - I 2nd this comment - I'd love to hear about what drove the switchover. please do educate us IT-savvy GTDers :)

cyberscribe

Senior Associate, Next Action Associates
RSS Feed

The RSS feed was temporarily reverted to a state where it was truncating entries and has now been restored to showing full entries.

This was due to a vendor-supplied upgrade. The security and rich feature set of a third-party product was one of the main reasons we decided to move to this new forum software. The tradeoff, of course, is that as we make customizations (we licensed the source code), we have to be careful not to clobber those changes in the vendor-supported upgrade process. So, we are refining our quality control procedures to make sure we can continue to provide an excellent experience here and in all our web offerings, while enjoying the "best of both worlds" in terms of vendor support and flexible, custom design. Regression tests and well defined procedures for major and minor changes will continue to play an important role.

So, there's a peek under the hood for those of you "IT-savvy" folks that care.