• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

New forums?

I think I'm in the correct place for this question. What about adding some new forums to this one? I'm thinking software specific forums. Maybe one for Omnifocus, Telles, Evernote, Outlook, Google Apps. That way if people want to know more about a particular software they can go right to that forums. I just think it might be a bit more organized than having one forum for all the different software combined. Thoughts?
 
There are hundreds of GTD supporting applications. I don't think DavidCo would create subforum for each of them. And if they create subforums for "Omnifocus, Telles, Evernote, Outlook, Google Apps" only, users of Nozbe, Trello, RTM, Todoist, Things, Skedpal and so on would not be happy...
 
In the past, I've written hundreds of words on "poster critical mass" and the harm of splintering forums. While splitting forums into subforums seems like something that would add efficiency, it usually just ends up destroying the whole forum. Explaining all the theories as to why would get us into those hundreds of words. But my view is that not only would it be destructive to split this subforum, it would actually be better to combine this subforum with the other subforum.

Usenet (I don't know what percentage of posters here are old enough to have used Usenet in its heyday) had a rule (or maybe it was a strong guideline) that before a group could be split, it should have at least one hundred new posts per day. I still think that's a good metric. It wasn't followed on the "alt" side of Usenet, and the results could be seen in the hundreds of dead and unused "alt" newsgroups.
 
Top