New GTD iPhone Setup Guide is now available for GTD Connect members

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
Hello GTD Connect members!

I'm pleased to announce the release of the new GTD® & iPhone® Setup Guide. GTD Connect members get complimentary and exclusive access to this Guide before it's available to the general public through our online store later this week. You can download it from the GTD Connect Document Library under Setup Guides: https://secure.davidco.com/connect/white-papers/

Description of this Guide:

Our new best practices guide for optimally configuring the built-in iPhone applications for GTD. Includes a wealth of expert coaching tips, tricks, and screen shots to getting the most out of the iPhone Calendar, Email, Notes, and Reminders applications.

This guide will show you how to:

-Understand the fundamental GTD best practices
-Optimally configure the built-in iPhone applications in the way we have found works best for GTD
-Productively use the iPhone Calendar application
-Process and organize email in the iPhone Email application
-Create project and next action lists in the iPhone Reminders application
-Create useful reference lists in the iPhone Notes application
... and much more!

If you are new to GTD on the iPhone, this Guide should be an excellent starting point for you to build a solid foundation for creating a useful GTD system on this device. If you are already have an established in these built-in applications on the iPhone, use it as an opportunity to fine-tune or simplify if you have found you've underused or overbuilt your setup.

Note: This Guide does not cover other 3rd-party applications for the iPhone or provide extensive instructions on synching options. We intentionally focused on the power of the built-in applications.

An iPad version is in the works.

I hope those of you on iPhone find this to be a valuable tool for your GTD implementation!

Kelly

mebstein

Registered
Well done.

Reading through I have this strange deja vu of the simplicity of the old days using my Palm. (I miss those days sometimes.) My system today really is a lot more complex (and time-consuming to maintain) than the one described in this document. I'm scared to change systems again, but this definitely has an appeal.

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
mebstein;105721 said:
Reading through I have this strange deja vu of the simplicity of the old days using my Palm. (I miss those days sometimes.) My system today really is a lot more complex (and time-consuming to maintain) than the one described in this document. I'm scared to change systems again, but this definitely has an appeal.

I was a huge fan of the simplicity of Palm too, and really wanted to find a way to support GTDers in creating that with the built-in apps on the iPhone. I was pleasantly surprised how well they function given how feature minimal they are.

apeikoff

Registered
Glad to see this!

Of course way more thorough & more effective than the setup I have used, and described here some months ago. I'll spread the word about its imminent availability.

apeikoff

Registered
Release Date in Online Store?

Kelly,

Do you know exactly when this will be released in the online store? I just let some enthusiasts, to whom I had recently promised to describe my system, know of its impending release. I think they'll be eager to get it. And I'm glad you took that commitment off of my plate -- I have more than enough to do already. :D

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
apeikoff;105736 said:
Kelly,

Do you know exactly when this will be released in the online store? I just let some enthusiasts, to whom I had recently promised to describe my system, know of its impending release. I think they'll be eager to get it. And I'm glad you took that commitment off of my plate -- I have more than enough to do already. :D

Should be in our online store by tomorrow morning (Friday Pacific Time), if not this afternoon. Thanks for sharing the love!

Pisces

Registered
Thanks

Thanks for the gtd and iPhone guide. It's like a mini revision course in GTD. looking forward to using reminders as suggested.... Folders are set up and ready to go.

David Parker

GTD Connect
Great stuff!

Kelly

Great stuff as always!

Just a couple of points, maybe for exploration in the upcoming webinar.

If you have more than one email account syncing to your iPhone then you'll need the @Actions and @Waiting For folders added to each one (or maybe the advice would be to use Reminders instead). It sounds like a lot of extra work/folders to check but you should be keeping track of all your Inboxes anyway.

The other point is that the iPhone doesn't let you create folders in POP accounts so in that case you'd have to use Reminders.

Looking forward to the iPad version (though I guess we could more or less work that out ourselves!)

Dave:D

mcogilvie

Registered
drparker48;105745 said:
If you have more than one email account syncing to your iPhone then you'll need the @Actions and @Waiting For folders added to each one (or maybe the advice would be to use Reminders instead). It sounds like a lot of extra work/folders to check but you should be keeping track of all your Inboxes anyway.

The other point is that the iPhone doesn't let you create folders in POP accounts so in that case you'd have to use Reminders.

You only need one set of action and waiting-for folders if you move the email across accounts, which you can do, at least with IMAP. POP accounts should be avoided at all costs. POP is an antique relic of the days when email was young and dial-up was state-of-the-art. With IMAP you get synchronized local replication of your email across devices. Decent email services support both POP and IMAP, or just IMAP.

Oogiem

Registered
mcogilvie;105748 said:
POP accounts should be avoided at all costs. POP is an antique relic of the days when email was young and dial-up was state-of-the-art. With IMAP you get synchronized local replication of your email across devices.

I'm in the opposite camp. I won't use IMAP. I want to download all my mail off the server as soon as possible so if a service doesn't' support POP I'm not using it. IMAP leaves your mail on the server until you run out of space or delete it. BY having it on my own machine I am in control of whether I want to keep it and don't run out of space.

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
drparker48;105745 said:
Kelly

Great stuff as always!

Just a couple of points, maybe for exploration in the upcoming webinar.

Looking forward to the iPad version (though I guess we could more or less work that out ourselves!)

Dave:D

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the great input.

The iPad Guide will be nearly identical, except for screen shots and a few simple instruction differences (Edit button vs. Menu button in Reminders.) I am working on it now.

Kelly

mcogilvie

Registered
Oogiem;105753 said:
I'm in the opposite camp. I won't use IMAP. I want to download all my mail off the server as soon as possible so if a service doesn't' support POP I'm not using it. IMAP leaves your mail on the server until you run out of space or delete it. BY having it on my own machine I am in control of whether I want to keep it and don't run out of space.

Oogie, this works only if you have a single, designated email machine, which is not the case for a lot of people (probably most), but may be the case for you. Modern mail services can accommodate gigabytes of mail easily, and most people will not run out of space. In any case, it is easy to archive IMAP folders on local storage if reducing server storage is needed.

Barb

Registered
How?

mcogilvie;105758 said:
Oogie, this works only if you have a single, designated email machine, which is not the case for a lot of people (probably most), but may be the case for you. Modern mail services can accommodate gigabytes of mail easily, and most people will not run out of space. In any case, it is easy to archive IMAP folders on local storage if reducing server storage is needed.

This is timely for me as I'm getting ready to lose my email provider and want to download my IMAP folders to my hard drive. Can someone tell me how to do this?

And if anyone knows of a great email service (for business) that doesn't require Exchange, I could sure use some advice!

Oogiem

Registered
mcogilvie;105758 said:

It's notthe size it's the security, something we've hashed out many times before :)

TesTeq

Registered
What aspect of security?

Oogiem;105767 said:
It's notthe size it's the security, something we've hashed out many times before :)

What aspect of security? Hard disk overflow?

mcogilvie

Registered
Barb;105759 said:
This is timely for me as I'm getting ready to lose my email provider and want to download my IMAP folders to my hard drive. Can someone tell me how to do this?

It depends on what your platform and email client is. On a mac with Mail.app, you can simply use Export under Mailboxes and Import under Files. Note that Time Machine also provides backups of email folders. Another thing you can do between 2 IMAP servers is to move entire folders from one to the other. It takes a while for a large folder, but it does work. I strongly recommend backing up the folder before trying it though.