New GTD iPhone Setup Guide is now available for GTD Connect members

Oogiem

Registered
TesTeq;105784 said:
What aspect of security?

Leaving personal data on servers and machines I do not control.

The same reason I don't use Evernote and other cloud systems at all. IMAP is cloud based e-mail. I am not comfortable with the lack of security in every cloud system I know about.

rick.maloney

Registered
Reminder Folders

Good Afternoon Kelly,
I have a question regarding setting up folders in Reminders. Page 14 describes creating "@Action Support and @Waiting For Support folders in Reminders to hold supporting information for actions...". The graphic that sits below this paragraph shows folders like you would expect in Mail. Does Reminders have the capability to work with folders as described?
Kind Regards
Rick

Barb

Registered
Help from hubby

mcogilvie;105787 said:
It depends on what your platform and email client is. On a mac with Mail.app, you can simply use Export under Mailboxes and Import under Files. Note that Time Machine also provides backups of email folders. Another thing you can do between 2 IMAP servers is to move entire folders from one to the other. It takes a while for a large folder, but it does work. I strongly recommend backing up the folder before trying it though.

My husband is going to show me how to do it. Who knew? ;) As for a backup, it's already backed up on the email vendor's server, I just want to copy it on my local hard drive.

mcogilvie

Registered
rick.maloney;105816 said:
Good Afternoon Kelly,
I have a question regarding setting up folders in Reminders. Page 14 describes creating "@Action Support and @Waiting For Support folders in Reminders to hold supporting information for actions...". The graphic that sits below this paragraph shows folders like you would expect in Mail. Does Reminders have the capability to work with folders as described?
Kind Regards
Rick

I believe that is a typo, and Reminders should be replaced by Mail. The graphics shows "@Action Support" and "@Waiting For Support" folders in Mail. "In this case, the folders only serve as storage buckets
to hold the information you need to take the action. You would be reminded of the action when you review your Calendar or Next Actions lists." Reminders has only lists, no folders.

TesTeq

Registered
Internet never forgets!

Oogiem;105795 said:
Leaving personal data on servers and machines I do not control.

You are leaving your personal data even if you are deleting it. Internet never forgets!

All professional servers are backed up and your personal data will live forever - marked as "deleted".

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
rick.maloney;105816 said:
Good Afternoon Kelly,
Kind Regards
Rick

Whoops. That's a typo. Sorry! We'll fix that right away.

GTDAcademic

Practicing GTD in the academic world.
Link with Exchange?

Hi,

I like the Reminders app on iPhone and iPad, however, it doesn't seem to place well with exchange. My GTD system is currently in outlook (over exchange), and since I synced both my iPhone and my iPad to it, it also syncs my task list into Reminders. Only problem is, it's a flat list. It doesn't take categories into account. If I make separate lists on the iPad, I lose the link to outlook.

Does anybody know of a way to get the Outlook-Reminders sync to include categories?

Barb

Registered
No, but

GTDAcademic;106269 said:
Hi,

I like the Reminders app on iPhone and iPad, however, it doesn't seem to place well with exchange. My GTD system is currently in outlook (over exchange), and since I synced both my iPhone and my iPad to it, it also syncs my task list into Reminders. Only problem is, it's a flat list. It doesn't take categories into account. If I make separate lists on the iPad, I lose the link to outlook.

Does anybody know of a way to get the Outlook-Reminders sync to include categories?

I discovered this too and was pretty surprised! Given that we had no way to sync tasks at all before, maybe consider it better than nothing?

GTDAcademic

Practicing GTD in the academic world.
Barb;106271 said:
Given that we had no way to sync tasks at all before, maybe consider it better than nothing?

In my case, a flat list of 700+ items in no particular order isn't manageable. I've been using TaskTaskHD which is able to sync the categories, but I like the look and feel of Reminders better.