New M2 MacBook Air

MichaelB212

Registered
Hi all,

As there seems to be quite a few Mac devotees here, I’m curious if anyone else has picked up a new M2 MacBook Air? If so, which configuration did you choose? There seems to be an exponential number of ways to spec (and spend!) these machines.

I ordered the base model (8-core/8GB RAM/256BG SSD) in Midnight on a release day and have been using it for a week and it has been an enormous pleasure to interact with (yes, the midnight color is indeed a fingerprint magnet but I am obsessive about cleaning my tech, so for me it’s not that big a deal). Traveling with it was an absolute pleasure as this thing weighs less than my iPad connected to a keyboard. It’s actually enhanced my GTD practice simply because I enjoy using the physical tool so much, and setting up a new machine is always a great opportunity for a general refresh.

All that said, I decided to exchange this model for the upgraded 10-core, 8GB/512 SSD version for future proofing’s sake (and the knowledge that I’ve purchased the absolute best product my wallet will permit). I’m curious what the other Mac-heads out there think about the various configurations and what you’ve opted for?

TesTeq

Registered
All that said, I decided to exchange this model for the upgraded 10-core, 8GB/512 SSD version for future proofing’s sake (and the knowledge that I’ve purchased the absolute best product my wallet will permit). I’m curious what the other Mac-heads out there think about the various configurations and what you’ve opted for?
@MikeyBus Yes, good choice. According to John Gruber there is a huge performance difference between 512GB SSD and 256 GB SSD since the 256GB configuration uses just a single NAND chip, whereas all other storage configurations use multiple NAND chips. If your wallet will permit get 16GB of RAM to reduce RAM swapping to SSD.

https://daringfireball.net/2022/07/the_2022_13-inch_macbook_air

mcogilvie

Registered
Hi all,

As there seems to be quite a few Mac devotees here, I’m curious if anyone else has picked up a new M2 MacBook Air? If so, which configuration did you choose? There seems to be an exponential number of ways to spec (and spend!) these machines.

I ordered the base model (8-core/8GB RAM/256BG SSD) in Midnight on a release day and have been using it for a week and it has been an enormous pleasure to interact with (yes, the midnight color is indeed a fingerprint magnet but I am obsessive about cleaning my tech, so for me it’s not that big a deal). Traveling with it was an absolute pleasure as this thing weighs less than my iPad connected to a keyboard. It’s actually enhanced my GTD practice simply because I enjoy using the physical tool so much, and setting up a new machine is always a great opportunity for a general refresh.

I ordered the 16 GB/512 GB SSD model for my wife, but it hasn’t arrived yet. Recent reports suggest it runs hot which can impact performance and component lifetime. Still, I think she’ll be happy with it. Her work is graphics intensive but not computationally intensive. I am “limping along” with a MacBook Pro that’s about 5 years old. I’ll probably upgrade in a few years.

BTW, I just upgraded us to 1TB USB-C SSD’s for backup. I think it’s a logical thing now.

dtj

Registered
While I can't speak for the M2, but I have heard the I/O thing about the one vs two ssd's. I have a 2020 16 gb m1 w/1tb and vs the old Intel MBP it is many times faster. My compiles are >6x faster and the battery last a coupla times faster. I'm currently looking big picture at my home IT infrastructure and how to take it to the next level. Part of that is upgrading my wife's laptop from a 2012 Air (!!!) by perhaps giving her my M1 and upgrading my machine.

schmeggahead

Registered
I went for the M1 Mini last year, 16 GB, 2 TB. It has been amazing.
It makes my 12 Core 2013 64 GB Mac Pro feel like a slug.

I usually bump memory up at least 1 level, and storage one level on Apple hardware. It has worked consistently for me.

I'm loving the universal control between the mini and my MacBook Pro. One set of input devices, just scroll to the neighbor to start using that machine. It works with an iPad also. It's great if you don't have a discreet keyboard while in the office.

Glad to hear your experience with M2 is great.
Clayton.

An Apple a day can be very expensive.

Oogiem

Registered
I’m curious what the other Mac-heads out there think about the various configurations and what you’ve opted for?
I have not gotten one because I'm still happy with my current 2019 MacBook Air for a portable but I always go for the maximum memory and biggest hard drive or SSD I can.

Minimum of 16GB RAM and 1TB internal storage for a mobile machine, more for a desktop machine.

I'm still running on my 2013 iMac. I bought it with 16GB ram and 1TB disk and have since upgrade to an internal 2TB disk. It's still functional for me although some tasks now take a long time to run.

If I was buying a MacBook Air now I'd go for the top of the line model, 24GB Ram and 2TB SSD and the dual power adapter which brings the device to about $2500.00. A real bargain for the power.

My 1995 Mac 8500 cost $4215.80. In today's dollars that would be nearly $8200.00!