New Slice of GTD Life with Mark

Barb

Registered
Loved it!

Mark, you were great! What a unique place to work as well. Does that present any unique challenges? For instance, do you and your staff have to be extra quiet at work or anything along those lines? Just curious.

MarkDillon

Registered
Barb;104745 said:
Mark, you were great! What a unique place to work as well. Does that present any unique challenges? For instance, do you and your staff have to be extra quiet at work or anything along those lines? Just curious.

Thanks Barb.

We do have to be concerned about making sound. For example, we don't talk in space where people are practicing meditation. (About 95% of the facility) However, currently I have a 28 room dorm building being built and the construction site is not in silence but unlike most construction sites there are no radios blasting and workers need to be aware that their voice travels over the campus and nearly everything they say can be heard.

One requirement of hiring someone in the department is that they either have sat a retreat or that they do sit a retreat. They need to be aware of how much staff can impact a retreat when it comes to silence.

It's one of the most unique places to work. The silence is very precious. Once you have sat a retreat it isn't unusual or strange.

mcogilvie

Registered
Mark, I enjoyed your conversation a lot. Your location rang a bell with me, and I knew there couldn't be that many large-scale retreat facilities in New England. You have a very impressive physical plant to manage. But then again, a lot of well-known teachers teach there.

MarkDillon

Registered
mcogilvie;104886 said:
Mark, I enjoyed your conversation a lot. Your location rang a bell with me, and I knew there couldn't be that many large-scale retreat facilities in New England. You have a very impressive physical plant to manage. But then again, a lot of well-known teachers teach there.

Thanks. I jokingly say I have some buildings that are a hundred years old held together with duct tape and a prayer and others so new that have high tech energy recovery units and the latest in design. It took a while before I felt like I knew it enough to feel comfortable. Plus we are adding a 28 room dorm building that will be on the cutting edge of energy efficiency.

We do have some of the greatest teachers around. I feel so fortunate to hang out with them.

CJSullivan

Registered
Mark, let me chime in and say that I really enjoyed your chat! It reminded me that just chipping away, one small action at a time, can really get things done with a minimum of pain! It also made me nostalgic, as I grew up in Massachusetts and lived there for MANY years! ;)

TesTeq

Registered
Realistic goal setting using GTD.

Great conversation about realistic goal setting using GTD. GTD works when you honestly use the reality check that GTD provides. Thank you.

MarkDillon

Registered
CJSullivan;104953 said:
Mark, let me chime in and say that I really enjoyed your chat! It reminded me that just chipping away, one small action at a time, can really get things done with a minimum of pain! It also made me nostalgic, as I grew up in Massachusetts and lived there for MANY years! ;)

Carolyn,

Thanks for your kind words.

I too grew up in MA. I moved away for a couple years and while I really don't like Winter at all, I feel Massachusetts as home and know that nostalgic feeling when thinking back about it. I do think the harsh Winter gives me so much appreciation for the other seasons. This morning it was 3 degrees above zero yet there was a clearness to the morning that was striking as the sun was coming up on my morning walk.