New to GTD, What is the best way to keep track of processed items?

bcmyers2112

Registered
It took me some time to notice that I was skipping the step of "Is this going to take more than 1 step..." and basically treating everything as a complex project. That was a mistake on my part, going back to re-read the processing and organization sections of the book a couple more times.

I had to read the book three times over a period of years to catch all the ways I had misunderstood it due to my preconceived notions clouding my comprehension of what I was reading. Again, you're not alone in this. Changing your thinking is never easy but there is a significant payoff to learning GTD.

Be gentle on yourself, keep at it and don't give up.

knakkeow

Registered
Thank you all or your kind words of support, and helping me identify areas where I have opportunities to simplify and clean up the system a bit. I realize I'm still a member of the overthinkers club and changing that may take some time.

I took a bit of time this week to ask myself how I can make small adjustments to improve the process/workflow. Ended up modifying somethings, and it makes it easier to input and track.

Revised the Master List Excel headings to just:
1) Initial Receive Date
2) Project Name, Task, Or Desired Outcome (What’s the larger result desired? How will you know when it is done?)
3) Next Actions (What do you need to do that? Do you have everything you need?)
4) Context (@Desk, @Phone, @Office, @Bill, etc...)
5) Status (Only shows Working on it, On Hold, Deferred, Not Started, or Complete)
6) Due By

The Job notes, logs, and reference to physical or electronic folders are kept are in OneNote. The result was easier to find centralized information.

Based on how I'm using OneNote to keep my support documentation, I'm considering using it to capture ideas as well. Unfortunately, the lack of sorting functionality seems undesirable.

What has been your experience?

Thanks,

Khanin