Next action(s) and one thing at a time

bcmyers2112

Registered
@bcmyers2112 Totally agree! Personal preferences that are contrary to the basic principles of GTD should stay personal. The idea of "a maximum of one Next action per project" was so many times debunked on this forum that I hardly believe that anybody can still say it.
Well, I wouldn't put it quite that forcefully myself. I'd hate to be the reason anyone felt discouraged from posting in this forum. If people feel free to post, it creates learning opportunities for us all. And I try to remember the possibility I could always be wrong.

gtdstudente

Registered
GTD does not expect you to write down every action. Only record the project “pay bill” (note: better written as a desired outcome “bill paid”) and the one next action “fetch bill”.

You can perform the next steps from your intuition, unless you stop this project half way through. In this case you would record the new next action for this project and then move on to another activity.
This makes GTD sense and resonates on this end since adding/including the outcome thinking can facilitate/provide and imbued the what "done" looks like vision regarding any particular project or action

Last edited:

gtdstudente

Registered
@bcmyers2112 Totally agree! Personal preferences that are contrary to the basic principles of GTD should stay personal. The idea of "a maximum of one Next action per project" was so many times debunked on this forum that I hardly believe that anybody can still say it. There's important difference between "Actions" and "Next Actions". An Action becomes a Next Action when it ceases to be dependent on anything.

By the way: I think we should call these subsequent Actions "Next Next Actions" or "N2Actions"… ;)

To summarize: for an active Project you must have at least one Next Action and as many Actions as you need to get this Project out of your mind.
GTD H U G E . . . read, read, read, and re-read! (?)

schmeggahead

Registered
To summarize: for an active Project you must have at least one Next Action and as many Actions as you need to get this Project out of your mind.
The thing that I keep having to make conscious about this part of the review is that a Next Action can be

1) on a context list as the next visible physical next action,
2) on the calendar as an appointment related to the project,
3) on an Agenda list item to address something about the project,
4) on a Waiting for list for someone to complete something (or a tickler that really is the same as a waiting for but just look at it on this date).

The devil is in the details and this complexity of the project review process definitely adds mental drag to my weekly review.
Clayton.

The only reason to have the same thought more than once is because you enjoy having that thought. - David Allen.

Gardener

Registered
The thing that I keep having to make conscious about this part of the review is that a Next Action can be

1) on a context list as the next visible physical next action,
2) on the calendar as an appointment related to the project,
3) on an Agenda list item to address something about the project,
4) on a Waiting for list for someone to complete something (or a tickler that really is the same as a waiting for but just look at it on this date).

The devil is in the details and this complexity of the project review process definitely adds mental drag to my weekly review.
Clayton.

The only reason to have the same thought more than once is because you enjoy having that thought. - David Allen.
The complexity would partly depend on the tool you're using, too. In OmniFocus, at least the way I use it, 1, 3, and 4 would show under the project as well as in those lists. And I would duplicate the calendar entry so that it, too, shows under the project.

Mrs-Polifax

Registered
I believe these are very important points, and I'm grateful to be reminded of them and to be able to think them through. My impression is that it works like this:

We clarify every item of our "stuff" in the clarify step of the workflow process because we do not know exactly what each item of our "stuff' actually involves until we determine what it is. We do this thinking first, so we do not need to do it later. This makes our work easier because we have already done the thinking required.

Then, still in the clarify step of the workflow process, we ask ourselves whether this item is actionable. If it is not actionable, we make a note to file it appropriately as (1) trash, recycle, or shred (we have no use for it); or (2) Reference (we may need to refer to it, but no action is needed); or Someday-Maybe (we may or may not do something about this later, and meanwhile we are parking it for review). To keep clean edges between the clarify and organize steps of the workflow process, we do not interrupt the clarify step to file, so we do our filing during the organize step.

If the item is not trash, recycle, shred, Someday-Maybe, or Reference, then it is actionable. This means that there is something we need to DO about this item in order for it to be the way we want it to be.

If an item involves one action step only, it is called a Single Action. If the item involves more than one action step, it is called a Project. For ease of handling, unrelated Single Actions may be kept separate, or they may be associated together and treated as a Project. A Project is generally to be completed within one year. We need to bring both our Single Actions and the individual action steps on our Projects into our workflow.

This is where I am not clear on the steps. In regard to taking action on our items, we need to ask ouselves, "What is my desired outcome?" Do we have a desired outcome for a single action, or for a Project, or for both? Do we determine the desired outcome before we determine the next action or afterward? I am thinking that I cannot decide on the next action until I know my desired outcome, so perhaps we now decide on our desired outcome. Let me know your views.

Once we have determined that our item is actionable, and we have decided on our desired outcome, then we need to ask ourselves. "What is the Next Action on this item?" Then we state the next action in concrete terms as a simple physical action, so we will clearly know when we have completed it.

Only after we have answered the question "What is this?" and have answered the question, "Is this item actionable?" and have answered the question, "What is my desired outcome?, and have answered the question, "What is my next action on this item?" do we apply the two-minute rule to the Next Action that we have stated.

We ask ourselves "Will this next action take less than 2 minutes?" If we estimate that it will take less than 2 minutes, we do the next action now, rather than enter it into our GTD system because this is more efficient and faster. However, if the next action will take two minutes or more, then we put the next action on our Next Actions list under the appropriate context.

In my understanding, the two-minute rule is specific to the clarify step of GTD workflow processing at the specific point after we have already stated our Next Action and asked ourselves whether it will take less than 2 minutes to do it. It does not necessarily apply to any other situation. However, as far as I know, there is no reason that the two-minute rule cannot be applied whenever it works well for each individual, except that it could lead to lack of clarity, if the clarify process is not done. I recall that DA is very big on keeping clean edges.

bcmyers2112

Registered
This is where I am not clear on the steps. In regard to taking action on our items, we need to ask ouselves, "What is my desired outcome?" Do we have a desired outcome for a single action, or for a Project, or for both? Do we determine the desired outcome before we determine the next action or afterward? I am thinking that I cannot decide on the next action until I know my desired outcome, so perhaps we now decide on our desired outcome. Let me know your views.
Either. Both. It's OK to do what's most comfortable for you. Different minds work in different ways.

I can tell you there are times I'll capture something and when I get to the clarify stage I'll think, "That's a project. I need to define an action to move that forward." Other times I'll identify an action and immediately realize it will create additional, related actions and I'll think, "OK, this is going to create a project. I need to define what that outcome will be." I haven't had a problem doing it either way.