Next actions list - am I using it right

macgrl

Registered
Barb;81387 said:
Welcome to GTD!

@Waiting For is one of the context lists (one of the "next actions" lists), just like @Calls, @Computer, @Errands, etc.

Hope that helps.

It does thank you ! Even though it is not an action that can be done next or immediately by me it still goes on the next action list? Super thank to for clearing that up

Barb

Registered
Useful

You'll find @waiting for to be one of your most useful lists! I look at mine every day.

TesTeq

Registered
Next Action @context lists.

macgrl;81386 said:
Sorry i should have said where does the @waiting for list go ? On the next actions list or in the project planning file. As something on the @waiting for list isn't really an action that i can do next so should it really go I the next actions list?

I see a misunderstanding in your question.

You wrote: "...where does the @waiting for list go ? On the next actions list or...".

In GTD we usually use several Next Action @context lists - not one next actions list.

@WaitingFor is one of these lists.

macgrl

Registered
Sorry. It is poorly phrased. What I mean is should @waiting be a next action context? If a next action is the immediate action that you can do without something needing to be done. Something that you are waiting for and so is on your @waiting context doesn't fit this ?

Barb

Registered
Thanks

Spalding;81396 said:
Barb, I love your "Mind like popcorn" tag - I can definitely relate. :D

Thanks. It really does feel like I have popcorn in my brain sometimes :D Is there an app for that?

Barb

Registered
Context

macgrl;81401 said:
Sorry. It is poorly phrased. What I mean is should @waiting be a next action context? If a next action is the immediate action that you can do without something needing to be done. Something that you are waiting for and so is on your @waiting context doesn't fit this ?

Yes, it doesn't strictly fit the definition of a "context" list, but it is one. The reasoning behind it is that often your next action will be waiting for information from someone else, a response from another, etc. In other words, you can go no further until you hear back from someone else. It's also used to track single "waiting fors", like when you order something. These things do not have to be related to one of your projects.