Nirvana...almost

LouD.

Registered
Hello all,

I've spent some time here browsing the forum and it has really helped me figure out how to best implement the GTD method for my needs. What a great resource.
This is my first post, I hope my question isn't somehow covered in another thread. But I searched diligently and can't find an answer.

TL;DR - Is there an app exactly like Nirvana that supports team collaboration? possibly dependencies?

Nirvana seems to be very popular around here and when I first tried it, I could immediately see why. I began using it and quickly became comfortable. I populated it with all my lists, delegated tasks to my team, downloaded the desktop and mobile apps and even signed up for Pro right away. When I was comfortable enough that I understood how to use it, I went to add my team members to get them onboard. That's where the honeymoon came to a screeching halt. No collaboration? Zero? Not even contact info? Damn.

So my question is..

Is there an app that works and feels just like Nirvana, but also supports team collaboration? I just need my team to be able to have their own accounts and share tasks, projects, etc.

I've tried Asana but as powerful as it is, the Next Action isn't there.

Thanks for any input!

Lou

ivanjay205

Registered
I personally have found that I need to maintain my own system outside of whatever my colleaguesa re using. There are lots of tools out there for task and project management, but few that adhere to GTD and you cannot force others to follow GTD. It just doesnt work in my opinion. Unless your entire team is really committed to it.

I do know that FacileThings is pure GTD and it doesnt support collaborators and you can assign tasks to other FacileThings users so you can try that.

mickdodge

Registered
I agree with @ivanjay205 in that I maintain my own responsibilities outside of and along with my team in Nirvana from a work perspective. Not everyone on my team understands or uses GTD (although some days I wish they did :)). Short of creating a shared generic team account in Nirvana that everyone can access and use, unfortunately, I don't see Nirvana working at the team level.

Where I work, our team shares project Kanban/checklist style documents. I typically copy my assigned tasks to Nirvana for me to track and follow-up on under my "Work" area and the associated project name. Then I update them on the shared team document as needed.

Hi LouD,
I'm using GTD for my personal use, for the "team" we make with my wife (becoming more and more a GTDer) and with my small team (we are only 3) at work. It allows assignment of cards to members, useful filters, etc.
I don't know Nirvana, but it works quite well for me and us until now.
Cheers!

LouD.

Registered
Thanks all! I guess I'm not getting any notifications about replies, just seeing these.
I'm fairly new to GTD, but have read David Allen's book and have tried many different apps (Todoist, Toodledo, Omnifocus, 2Do, Informant, to name a few). In trying to explain GTD to my team, they were very interested in it and Nirvana showed them the benefits I was explaining. It's the best I've seen so far with its implementation of Next Actions. The only thing missing is the ability for everyone to have their own lists and share the necessary ones. We "worked around" this by simply not using the Waiting For function, but this would be extremely helpful to have for obvious reasons. I'll check out Nozbe Teams and Facile Things, thanks!

@cristophe.portier - are you using a specific app?

Xavier BOEMARE

Registered
Hello all,

I've spent some time here browsing the forum and it has really helped me figure out how to best implement the GTD method for my needs. What a great resource.
This is my first post, I hope my question isn't somehow covered in another thread. But I searched diligently and can't find an answer.

TL;DR - Is there an app exactly like Nirvana that supports team collaboration? possibly dependencies?

Nirvana seems to be very popular around here and when I first tried it, I could immediately see why. I began using it and quickly became comfortable. I populated it with all my lists, delegated tasks to my team, downloaded the desktop and mobile apps and even signed up for Pro right away. When I was comfortable enough that I understood how to use it, I went to add my team members to get them onboard. That's where the honeymoon came to a screeching halt. No collaboration? Zero? Not even contact info? Damn.

So my question is..

Is there an app that works and feels just like Nirvana, but also supports team collaboration? I just need my team to be able to have their own accounts and share tasks, projects, etc.

I've tried Asana but as powerful as it is, the Next Action isn't there.

Thanks for any input!

Lou
Hi,

GTD is, imho, a very personal system (tools wise), I never found any tool that was "full" GTD compliant AND team oriented. On top of this, it would means also that you have one tool for the work space, and another for the rest ? Not convenient (my opinion).
My experience, is that I only share the outcomes (projects) with my teams, not the tasks, so it's quite a small list, and can be manually replicated (or automated sometimes, depending on the tools themselves, with existing APIs and tools like IFTTT or Zapier).
On the contrary, if it's a big team project with multiples tasks and a lot of assignments, followed in a dedicated project tool, I would only put the outcome in my GTD system, and will go to that dedicated tool for details only when needed.