• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Notifications - how do you deal with them ?

For me the only notifications I have setup are:
The phone - ringer on
Omnifoucs- time based events/actions
iCal - for appointments

I personally feel the less notifications I see/hear for more in tuned I am with the current work I'm doing. This might sound super obvious, but by turning off as many "notifications " as possible I just super useful.

So how do you deal with notifications ?
 
I used to have lots of notifications going off but have turned most of them off. I now just have iCal and Todo providing alerts on the iPhone. Everything else is off, including email arrival notifications. I will look when I want to!
 
Tado;98875 said:
So how do you deal with notifications ?

only 3 on my iPhone, the phone ringer itself, although I will turn it off or ignore it, the one that says a text message has come in although I will ignore that too if I'm busy and ones from iCal on very rare occasions, like maybe once a month or so I set something that has an alarm.
 
Nokia E71 notifications.

Oogiem;98880 said:
only 3 on my iPhone, the phone ringer itself, although I will turn it off or ignore it, the one that says a text message has come in although I will ignore that too if I'm busy and ones from iCal on very rare occasions, like maybe once a month or so I set something that has an alarm.

My approach is similar. The only notifications I use are:
  • Nokia E71 incoming phone call
  • Nokia E71 incoming SMS
  • Nokia E71 calendar alarm (for time-based actions and appointments)
  • Nokia E71 alarm clock at 4:46 am
 
I have a few non-core apps providing notifications for things like travel, tv and weather. They don't bother me at all. Is the issue really social media notifications? I pretty much ignore social media, because of the low utility and the privacy issues.
 
Top