Nova Mind 4 vs. MindManager?

A

avalon4053

Hi,
does anyone have experiences with NovaMind 4 (vs. MindManager)?

A

avalon4053

Hi, I'm new to mind mapping and want to buy a software application. I'll use it for business presentations a.o.
But I wonder which one to get. Great blog! It seems like you like a lot of these applications and I'm curious if you have any real preference.

(I was thinking of a combination of Nova Mind 4 and Merlin.2 project planning software.)

M

mindmap

NovaMind 4 is an excellent choice for business presentations. In fact, for making presentations from a map, NovaMind is one of the best choices. DO you use a PC or Mac? They way they've implemented the presentation mode for Mac OS X is very cool. It works very well on the PC, too - but they really outdid themselves on the Mac version. Click here for my review of NovaMind 4 Platinum.

You mentioned you're considering using Merlin. I don't know anything about that project management application, other than the fact that it's developed by the same company that created NovaMind. What you may not be aware of is the fact that NovaMind now exports to MS Project - that enhancement was just announced earlier this month.

Other great mind mapping software programs include MindManager (the market leader), Visual Mind, OpenMind and XMIND.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Best Regards,

Chuck Frey
The Mind Mapping Software Blog

A

avalon4053

Thanks so much! Between MindManager and Nova Mind: could you name a few differences? or might it just be good to trial both and see which one feels better? And yes, I do use a Mac.

M

mindmap

I'm a big fan of MindManager, because I've been a user of it for years. Right out of the box, however, NovaMind enables you to create more colorful maps. It automatically colors the connector lines between the central and first level topics in a different color. That increases visual interest and memorability of your maps. The only way I know how to do this in MindManager is to color each connector manually.

Both programs are fairly similar in their use of Ribbon toolbars.

NovaMind 4 offers something called "live formatting," where hovering over a map style causes your map to momentarily take on those qualities. It's nice, but you can do the same thing in MindManager by applying a map style, and then clicking the undo button.

I like the presentation mode of NovaMind better than MindManager. On the Mac, it's very slick.

On the other hand, in terms of MS Office integration, I like MindManager a little better. What I especially value is the ability to link my maps to individual Outlook e-mails. That's really valuable to me, in the type of work I do.

The bottom line is that NovaMind looks like it was designed by and for more creative types, while MindManager is more businesslike in appearance.

I hope this helps you!

Chuck Frey
http://mindmappingsoftwareblog.com

A

avalon4053

Thanks!! This helps a lot, great comparison! Best wishes and thank you again, Etienne Abelin, Basel, Switzerland

GordonR

Registered
NovaMind for GTD?

I found this thread just looking at mind mapping software. As it happens, I'm also reading GTD. Could anyone comment on the usefullness of software such as NovaMind for GTD? I'm wondering how useful it would be. Seems like good 'ol paper is what's most helpful from what I've read so far.

Thanks,

Gordon

policarpo

Registered
GordonR;77097 said:
I found this thread just looking at mind mapping software. As it happens, I'm also reading GTD. Could anyone comment on the usefullness of software such as NovaMind for GTD? I'm wondering how useful it would be. Seems like good 'ol paper is what's most helpful from what I've read so far.

Thanks,

Gordon

I typcially use novamind 4 and either Things or OmniFocus. I'm relatively new to GTD, and can't decide which workflow I like most between Things and OmniFocus.

My typical workflow is like this:

. Get all the ideas down in novamind (mindmapping is perfect for this sort of dynamic idea capturing-you envision the entire landscape at a glance)
. Once I have all my branches down I begin another map and begin prioritizing them into four categories:
- Action Items
(the things i need to Task and get done)
- Focus Items
(High priority things)
- Explorations & Research
(Those things like links, photos, notes and such...the non-task related essentials)
- FutureThink
(Concepts which are too far out to be completed in a timely fashion)

Initially I was assigning check boxes, and Start/Due Dates to my Action & Focus items, but have since started doing the following:

I now export my refined map as .OPML, import into OmniOutliner, and paste directly into my Project Folder in OmniFocus. I then assign Context and dates and any additional granularity I might need.

I have some recent mindmaps on the novamind site if you'd like to see how I visual my information and thinking:
http://www.novamind.com/connect/users/policarpo

Cheers,
-policarpo

shobazee

Registered
“To make a long story short, the improvements in MindManager 7 outstrip those in NovaMind 4. MindManager 4 is easier to use and more Mac-like than NovaMind 4.”