• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

O/T question for Blackberry users

I have been using a Pocket PC/Pocket PC Phone for several years now. However, my carrier, Verizon, no longer offers a Pocket PC phone that doesn't have a camera. So I am finally looking at either going for a Palm Treo (with Palm) or a Blackberry. Since the future of the Palm seems more uncertain than Blackberry I am tending towards the latter.

One question / concern I have though - I use documents (Word) and spreadsheets (Excel) quite a bit on my PDA and want very quick access esp. to the spreadsheets on the fly. Do Blackberry's offer good support for these kinds of applications?

Thanks

Paul
 
Paul,

BlackBerry has native support for viewing Word, Excel, and PDF email attachments. If you want to create or edit documents there's a program called eOffice. I haven't used it but it gets 4 of 5 stars on Handango web site. Also, DataViz, the maker of Documents-to-Go says it's coming out with a BlackBerry version of D2G in "the first half of 2008."

I switched from a Palm Treo to BlackBerry several years ago, and you couldn't pay me enough to switch back.

Hope this helps!

- Jon
 
jrandall39;55881 said:
Paul,

BlackBerry has native support for viewing Word, Excel, and PDF email attachments. If you want to create or edit documents there's a program called eOffice. I haven't used it but it gets 4 of 5 stars on Handango web site. Also, DataViz, the maker of Documents-to-Go says it's coming out with a BlackBerry version of D2G in "the first half of 2008."

I switched from a Palm Treo to BlackBerry several years ago, and you couldn't pay me enough to switch back.

Hope this helps!

- Jon

Thanks Jon.

Since posting I have got a slight lifeline in the problems I was having with my PPC/Phone. It was taking a long time to start up when opening a spreadsheet I use routinely as time log which was the problem. I have found that removing the SD card I had in the phone has improved the performance considerably.... so I may delay getting a new phone for now. But I think when I do, it will probably be a Blackberry.

Paul
 
Top