• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Of Contexts and Subcontexts...

  • Thread starter Thread starter pageta
  • Start date Start date
P

pageta

Guest
I'm now using contexts and subcontexts to organize my next actions.

For instance, take Home. I can do regular cleaning (vacuum, mop), deep cleaning (clean mildew off bathroom ceiling), organizational projects (go through yarn stash and sort new skeins from leftovers), outside (measure storm window so I know what size to buy when I'm in town), and then everything else.

For my Office (which happens to also be at home but I want to keep separate), I have a list of personal items (balance checkbook), business maintenance items (such as recordkeeping that helps at tax time if done weekly but doesn't affect how I interact with clients), and client-oriented tasks (writing thank-you notes).

For Errands, I have a list of errands that must be run this week (groceries, bank, gas) and then I have various categories of shopping that can be done when I have the time and energy but aren't urgent. I have Shopping - Clothes (if I'm in a store that sells clothes, my husband wants some new polo shirts so I'll check out what they have and what their prices are), Shopping - Household (I'm looking for new placemats for the dining room table but won't be buying any until I find the right ones at the right price), and so forth.

For Calls, I have personal calls (plumber, appointment for oil change, etc.) and clients I need to call broken down into daytime calls and evening calls. I also have other business calls to make occasionally so I have a list for that as well.

Why am I doing this? Well, it helps me prioritize and do things in chunks. If I have seven thank you notes to write, I have them all on one list. If I'm wearing grubby clothes, I can do some cleaning without worrying about messing up my nice clothes. If I'm in the mood to organize and declutter, I have a list of projects ready to go so I don't have to think about which one to do. If I'm in the office, if I'm thinking about work stuff, I can do it; if I'm more in my home mode, I can do that. It also helps me make sure I don't neglect one over the other.

None of my lists are overly long - about a dozen items is my max. This just helps me to focus and not get overwhelmed with the variety of tasks I can do when I'm in a given context.

It seems to be working very well and really decreased my anxiety about the things I need to do, a step similar to the one when I started sorting things by contexts in general as David Allen recommends. I do use a paper planner, so I have no idea how this would work with an electronic planner (one of the many reasons why I prefer paper over electronic), but that's beside the point.

Since it is working so well, I just thought I'd share. :)
 
Cool, I may try this. I have one "@Home" context for stuff done around the house, and one "@Home Desk" context for stuff that needs to be done at my desk. Might make sense to create subcontexts.
 
My situation is similar (working mostly from home the last 6 months), and I have some similar subcontexts, too.

@Home includes
  • @Home-Research
  • @Home-Projects
  • Computer-
@Home-Research exists because I want to focus much of my workday on these work-related projects. When it's time to work on a paper I'm writing or to analyze some data, I don't want to see any other tasks, even if they are physically nearby. I do not want to see "Fill hummingbird feeder" when I'm trying to work on my paper. Only a list of paper-related tasks.

@Home-Projects also contains tasks that require large chunks of time. "Strip lacquer from dining room table" is on there right now. I need about 4 hours to move that project forward. Once I start some of the refinishing steps, I must continue with others within a certain time frame. So I want to see those all on their own list.

Computer- exists because my home computer is a laptop. Many of my tasks require the laptop. It's nice to be able to look at the Computer list anywhere I take the computer. Soon I will be working in my office several days a week. @Office also includes Computer-, so those tasks will show up appropriately in both physical locations where I can use them.

@Home includes everything that is on Computer and @Home-Research, plus all the other tasks I assign to @Home itself (like "Fill hummingbird feeder"). Being able to include tasks from other contexts gives me the one big physical list more like default GTD . But I can still look at each subcontext by itself, too.

The @Home-Projects is not included in any other context, though. I look at those big time eaters only by themselves.

And I maintain these contexts electronically.

I know someone who has @Home-Garage. And I've heard of a context for outside just on sunny days, used by someone who lives where it rains all the time! I don't need this one at all -- here it's always sunny and the gardeners take care of the yard -- but it's interesting the different contexts different people can find useful!
 
Top