Off topic ... burning CDs

Busydave

Registered
Off topic … (although asking the question is a Next Action!)

What is the technology required to burn a CD from a regular stereo? My home PC does not burn CDs. I can borrow an office lap-top which does.

Is it just a matter of getting the right connector from the stereo to the computer? Can the computer read the stereo output signal and convert it to a computer file? Do I take the feed from the record deck or from the amplifier?

(My project is to halve the weight of vinyl in an upstairs room!)

Thanks very much,

Dave

C

CosmoGTD

Musicmatch Jukebox allows you to go right from your Phono/Tape stereo jacks into the computer mini-jack, and onto a CD. (get a gold tipped split cable).

You can record regular CD's, (WAV file), or mp3, or mp3PRO CD's, or anything else.
It will tag your tracks automatically, clean up the hiss, (watch out for that!), and also automatically create new CD tracks after reading the pause between tracks on the record.

http://www.musicmatch.com/download/plus/jukebox_intro.htm?os=pc&mode=input&BTD=1&DID=

There are many other software solutions for this as well.
You need, software, cables, and a CD burner.

Coz

Line-in Recording
Want to breathe new life into those old vinyl records and cassettes? Musicmatch Jukebox Plus lets you easily record MP3s from vinyl, cassettes or any line-in source with line-in recording.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Coz.

I see I can download Musicmatch Jukebox for free from their site. Thanks for the advice.

Dave

M

mochant

Take a look at Gold Wave for old LP's and tapes

Dave: MusicMatch Plus is a good general tool. If you have old record albums or "hissy" cassette tapes, you might also want to look at Gold Wave. It's a powerful audio recorder and editor that can reaaly clean up those old tunes.

Busydave

Registered
Thanks Marc,

Yep, I think hiss and crackle will be a feature!

Dave

P.S. I will be taking a look at Answers That Work tonight – thanks for the link from your Blog.

C

CosmoGTD

i THINK only the Plus verison of Musicmatch offers line-in recording, not the free one.

Coz

M

mochant

Not to get too off-topic but...

Busydave said:
Thanks Marc,

Yep, I think hiss and crackle will be a feature!

Dave

P.S. I will be taking a look at Answers That Work tonight – thanks for the link from your Blog.
Dave - I'm truly impressed with the value the ATW software delivers. I'll be speaking to the developer this morning to prep for an interview on my radio show on Saturday. PM me if you have any questions you'd like me to ask them.

M

me_brown1110

Amplifier needed?

Busydave -- In some cases, you need an amplifier between the stereo and the PC to boost the signal. My Sony turntable has the amplifier built in.

It took me quite a few tries to get my setup working, and I still have some bugs to work out. Ah well.

C

CosmoGTD

Re: Amplifier needed?

Good point, i ass-umed that one would be running from the amplifier.

Coz
me_brown1110 said:
Busydave -- In some cases, you need an amplifier between the stereo and the PC to boost the signal. My Sony turntable has the amplifier built in.

It took me quite a few tries to get my setup working, and I still have some bugs to work out. Ah well.

M

mochant

Re: Amplifier needed?

CosmoGTD said:
Good point, i ass-umed that one would be running from the amplifier.

Coz
me_brown1110 said:

Actually, I patch in between my preamp's output and my amp's input. It's a very clean signal and I've never had an issue with too low a signal. If you have separate components (or a control amp like mine with a bridge between the preamp and amplifier, I'd recommend trying that. Anything but the headphone jack!

C

CosmoGTD

Just a sidebar about mp3PRO.
mp3PRO gives you double the compression of mp3, with equivalent sound. (same as WMA)

What i do is compress my audiobook CD's using mp3PRO at 48kbps, so i can get 30 CD's onto ONE CD. It sounds perfect. What i have done, is i have taken my favorite audiobook CD's, and put them all on one CD. That's about 35 hrs of audio on one CD.

For music, i use mp3PRO at 64kbps, and that allows me to get about 23 CD's onto ONE CD, about 26 hrs of music.
For instance, i put all of my Glenn Gould collection onto one CD, over 20 albums. Then i can just listen to it randomly.

Coz