Ok for multiple independent next actions for same project?

gtd_jon

Registered
I've just finished reading GTD (twice!) and am now processing my inbox for the first time.

Is it ok to create multiple next actions for the same project if non of them depend on each other.

e.g. say I've defined a project, Summer Tutoring for Child project, there may be next actions of:
- get reading books from library
- find handwriting excerise book
- find maths excercise book

All are independant (assume all would take longer than 2 mins too) so should they all become next items?

Also, if while processing/organising this project I think of other future actions, that I can't yet start such as:
- plan schedule from excercise books
- start tutoring

Should I define/note these at the project level, and covnert to next actions during a review (when they become actionable)?

If it makes any difference I'm planning on using text files in taskpaper format.

mcogilvie

Registered
I've just finished reading GTD (twice!) and am now processing my inbox for the first time.

Is it ok to create multiple next actions for the same project if non of them depend on each other.

e.g. say I've defined a project, Summer Tutoring for Child project, there may be next actions of:

All are independant (assume all would take longer than 2 mins too) so should they all become next items?
Yes, that’s fine. If you have a lot of independent next actions on a Project, it’s also ok to defer some of them to avoid overwhelming yourself. See below.
Also, if while processing/organising this project I think of other future actions, that I can't yet start such as:
- start tutoring

Should I define/note these at the project level, and covnert to next actions during a review (when they become actionable)?

If it makes any difference I'm planning on using text files in taskpaper format.
Future actions are placed in “project support”, a somewhat nebulous term. Project support depends on you, the tools you use, and the nature of a given project. With taskpaper, you can for example, make things actions (-) but no context (@) to indicate possible future actions.

Gardener

Registered

For me, these might be too big to be next actions. Do you already know what books you're getting from the library, and by "find" do you mean that the book is already in your house somewhere, or do you mean that you need to research possibilities and buy one?

If I didn't know what books I wanted, these wouldn't be next actions. They'd either be separate small projects, or I'd organize the main project differently, such as:

- Make list of books/book categories I'll need.
- Research book list and identify specific titles.
- Get books X, Y, and Z from library.
- Buy book A.
- Buy book B.

The last three, though, could all be simultaneous.

Similarly, "plan scheduling" and "start tutoring" would be too big to be next actions, for me.

GTDengineer

Registered
The issue is, you actually have at least three projects. Tutoring a child in reading, writing and math are not the same thing.

I’d also prefer to describe the desired outcome in detail in the project title. Like “child achieves score of 600 or greater on SAT math practice exam”. But, as an engineer I’m specific like that…

mhalano

Registered

- start tutoring

I think it is perfectly ok, just put everything under the same project folder. I use Todoist, so I have a project "Projects" with the real projects inside (just to keep sidebar neat) and in every project I have the next actions I will do when possible. Not only that, but I think a next action is an action which "keeps the ball rolling". In your case, you have multiple actions to keep the ball rolling. I think it is even better if you keep the items in the project because you already clarify things, just need to engage.