• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Omnifocus comment

I am really intimidated by this program. This is not what I expected at all. I am going to have to pay someone to show me how to use it. I live in Minneapolis if anyone is interested that has decent training skills.

I like the soft esthetic look unlike iGTD. I like the ability to make sub projects and (sort of) sub contexts unlike Entourage.

I like the idea that it will be more Mac centric than Entourage. I want to use Apple mail and the iPod if possible etc.

Why did they put so much power in the thing? it's hard to learn and a lot of people are going to have a huge temptation to fiddle too much with the it.

I just don't get what their objective is. Maybe it will work out for me.

I might just end up hacking Yojimbo into a GTD system.
 
omni focus mac gtd style app

Have you watched the introductory video the creator of KGTD did for omni focus ? Omni focus is designed very well to be both powerful and very simple if needed . You don't have to use every feature that's available .
 
loocartlu;54705 said:
Why did they put so much power in the thing? it's hard to learn and a lot of people are going to have a huge temptation to fiddle too much with the it.

I might just end up hacking Yojimbo into a GTD system.

They have to put a lot of power into it 'cause they're charging $80 for it. :)
You can dumb it down very easily. Start with contexts and context lists, and branch out to projects gradually.

I think Omnifocus is a perfectly reasonable solution for people who use one and only one mac (not 2 or more, and not pc's), want to group actions by context and by project, and don't use priorities. But if you don't fit that profile (I don't), then I wouldn't recommend it for you.

I don't recommend Yojimbo for GTD- too much of a temptation to blend action and reference, and there are other issues. If you just want a nice front-end to iCal that supports gtd, try anxiety (the program, not the mental state ;) ).
 
Interesting. I had the exact opposite reaction to Omnifocus. I had downloaded and tried a whole bunch of GTD apps, and Omnifocus was the only one that made any sense to me right off the bat. It was the only one I tried that didn't make me feel like I had to first figure out how the developer's mind worked before being able to use it. I watched the intro video and then just took off. I'd be lost without it now.
 
This is all good information. I hope I just got off to a bad start. The reality is I'm not that sharp with computers. Right now I feel like I'm in a funhouse for the first time.

I don't mind shelling out for a little training and perspective. We shall see what happens.

What I want is:

Largely Mac centric
Cut way down on keyboarding & typing
Soft, easy on the eyes esthetic
Sync part or all to an iPod or PDA (that isn't going out of business, changing soon, or is part of a cell phone.)
 
OK

I am calming down now and I am starting to see the light.

Question:

Do you guys put your someday maybe under projects or contexts or what?

I don't want it to clutter up my active next actions.
 
loocartlu;54723 said:
Do you guys put your someday maybe under projects or contexts or what?

I don't want it to clutter up my active next actions.

I make my Someday/Maybe items into On-Hold projects. (You can mark projects as Active, Pending, Stalled, or On-Hold using the Inspector.)
 
loocartlu;54723 said:
Do you guys put your someday maybe under projects or contexts or what?

I don't want it to clutter up my active next actions.

I have a context called "someday/maybe"... actually I have another called "someday, just not now" too.

Those contexts can hold both projects, and next actions for projects that are on hold.

This way I can look at projects (either active or not) and next actions (by context or inactive)
 
Excellent. Thanks.

What I had to do was delete all of the preloaded stuff and then by starting from scratch, stuff started showing up in the right places.

One thing I noticed is even though omnifocus has a lot of glowinkies, they don't really clash with GTD theory. Personally, I find it irritating to see a priority grading column that can't be removed or something similar in GTD software. It's like the guy didn't even read the book.
 
Placing S/M NAs "on hold" in OF

dschaffner;54726 said:
I have a context called "someday/maybe"... actually I have another called "someday, just not now" too.

Those contexts can hold both projects, and next actions for projects that are on hold.

This way I can look at projects (either active or not) and next actions (by context or inactive)

When I have an active project in OF, but several next actions that are far enough in the future to be S/M, I label them with a context of "future".
Then, in Context mode, Future is placed "on hold" (use the option gear at the bottom).
 
loocartlu;54738 said:
Excellent. Thanks.

I find it irritating to see a priority grading column that can't be removed or something similar in GTD software. It's like the guy didn't even read the book.

but a lot of those apps don't claim to be a canonical GTD program like Omni Focus does .. and the omni group has resisted a lot of flak from the user base even during the alpha testing to keep priorities out of it . There's work-arounds though if you require priorities ,flagging items is one way , but I use flags for items that require a lot of energy and focus ..I try to do those in the morning or when I'm fresh and filter them out if possible when I'm toast .
Just as long as I look at everything often enough to " feel good about what I'm not doing " .
 
ext555;54755 said:
the omni group has resisted a lot of flak from the user base even during the alpha testing to keep priorities out of it .

I don't even know what to say about the user base regarding this. Unbelievable.

Good for Omni for keeping that nonsense out of it.

Read the freaking book people. GTD has a different approach to this problem.
 
Top