ONE master list that's separated by @contexts or multiple @context lists?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC: Discuss the GTD Methodology' started by topshelf, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Cpu_Modern

Cpu_Modern Registered

@topshelf :

Have you ever heard of emacs org-mode? If "yes", how do you find it?

2. topshelf

topshelf Registered

Psychotherapist
    No. I have never heard of this. Is this something you think I should look into?

3. aderoy

aderoy Registered

Broadcast Tech
    "Emacs is based on the fear that the operating system may not be there someday." - saying from my UNIX days.

Text only, check boxes, links to web/file etc, report of open/closed etc. Can be used with as much depth as you like. Free no costs other than disk space, can be installed with non-admin if work machines are locked down. There are 'portable' versions for iOS and Android that are subpar. Keyboard over mouse to get the best from experience

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/

https://orgmode.org

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/OrgMode

Searching online will yield many guides on org mode. People either like it or hate it, since it is free and there are many online learning resources to see if it may fit your process.

4. mcogilvie

mcogilvie Registered

Good summary, except I don’t love it or hate it: I think it is .. quaint. But then again, my fingers have vi bindings, so who am I to talk? However, I can’t see learning emacs to make todo lists. That’s like requiring a PhD to operate a coffee machine.

5. aderoy

aderoy Registered

Broadcast Tech
    'quaint' is not often the word used regarding EMACS :cool: Used it from my OpenVMS & HP-UX days and think it may have tilted my sense of humor.

If you already have vi in finger memory it is not worth the learning curve for org-mode.

It is a acquired taste, plain text does have some good points, as does paper planners, OmniFocus or mind maps etc. So many tools find the best is the one that fits your thinking.

6. Jared Caron

Jared Caron Registered

Nurse Educator; Minister; Musician
    Home Page:
    So i would suggest the following:

1. If you're finding you're going numb to the long list it might be time to consider a change
    2. I would strongly suggest making at least the following separations:
      1. Projects
      2. Next Actions
      3. Agendas (seems like you have so many you might consider this almost its own context)
      4. Waiting For
      5. Someday Maybe
    3. The above lists should have discrete edges to function well. Especially projects and someday maybe. They are distinct categories from everything else. You dont want to be bothered with them when your deciding to do work - like david says in the book, you cant "do" a project (or a waiting for for that matter...).
    4. Beyond that i would recommend staying conscious to how it feels looking at your lists. If you're overwhelmed with the amount of text or scrolling you have to do, consider separating.
    As far as your format/tool, that's really up to you. It might be worth considering something a bit more streamlined, but if its working for you i wont tell you to change. You might find the resources on Connect to be useful as well as there are setup guides for numerous peices of software and other really useful information to help fine tune your system.