• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Organizing Correspondence

  • Thread starter Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date Start date
A

Anonymous

Guest
Hey folks.

I just attended the GTD Seminar in Chicago. It was outstanding. I am almost all the way to getting In to Out.

I am looking for a good system for organizing correspondence. I have an a-z filing system, but put all correspondence into one big file titled, oddly enough, "Correspondence." Is it best and easiest to:

1) Continue this practice.
2) Create reference files for every person
3) Arrange correspondence in project or topical reference files.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Loren
 
Here is what do--If it's correspondence I created, I create it digitally and store it digitally. In the "My Documents" folder on the C drive, I have a folder called "Memos and Letters." It's all stored there. I name the document as follows: Last name of the person, a dash, and a few words about the subject matter. If it's an e-mail, it's capyired in the "Sent Items" of Outlook.

As for stuff that comes to me, if its digital, I store it in the "Memos & Letters" folder. If its an e-mail that comes to me and I want to same it, I chosse "Save As" and point to the Memos & Letters folder (rather than saving it in Outlook).

As for paper correspondence that comes to me, if it relates to a project, it goes in the project support file for that project. For anything else, I have 26 folders labeled A-Z. When I get a letter from Mr. Smith, I take whatever action I deem necessary. At the point where that letters simply becomes a reference it, it goes in the BACK of the "S" folder. Chances are I will never have to look at the letter again, so I want a system that makes filing as quick as possible. If I do need the letter, I know its in the "S" folder, and I think in terms about what time of year I received since the items are filed chronologically.

Once per year, I pull out all 26 folders and eyeball every item for about 2 seconds each. Most of the items go in the trash can. The remaining ones go in a folder called "Correspondence-2003" (or whatever the year is). By default that file is semi-alphabetical. The letters from Allen and Adams are towards the front and the one from Yarbrought is towards the back.
 
Hello,

If I remember correctely, basic GTD says to do something like this:

--> Do you need to do anything with/for it? Put it in the related action context folder. I personally use just one folder called "Action Support"

--> Is it project support material? Put it in the appropriate project support folder.

--> Do you need to think on it a bit? Put it in the tickler file

--> Is it pure reference? Put it in the appropriate reference folder. (Which letter you file under is up to you -- client name, project name, etc.)

I don't get much hard copy paperwork, so my stuff is organized on the computer. I used to use GoldMine but have been using Time Matters for the past few weeks and I like that a lot. I can simply open a project and click the Docs tab to see paperwork, web tab for related sites, email tab for email, billing tab, etc. And I can see at a glance if there are next actions scheduled, and where I am in the progress of things. Same applies to just contacts (without active projects).

Hope that helps,
Kathy
 
Top